Topics

google chrome version 81

Don H

Has the release of google chrome version 81 been delayed?

Since I have Version 80.0.3987.132 and when I did that check I began an automatic update, resulting in Version 80.0.3987.149, it's definitely not here yet.

A web  search on Chrome 81 delayed turns up a number of articles, including:
Google Delays Chrome Browser Updates Amid Coronavirus Disruptions
and

Google halts Chrome browser and Chrome OS releases due to coronavirus outbreak
among others.   Utterly unsurprising and I expect that all sorts of release delays will be announced in the coming days.

       ~ Madonna

A lot of stuff is delayed.

Bar skype and a few codec updates nothing has been released due to this damn virus.

Usually by now I have at least a couple releases of my display drivers for the month but nothing.

On 19/03/2020 12:22 pm, Don H wrote:
Has the release of google chrome version 81 been delayed?

.

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Google Chrome 81 was released today...

Bar skype and a few codec updates nothing has been released due to this damn virus.

Usually by now I have at least a couple releases of my display drivers for the month but nothing.

On 19/03/2020 12:22 pm, Don H wrote:
Has the release of google chrome version 81 been delayed?

.

Felix G.

Best version in a long time! Reliability with NVDA seems to have
improved significantly.
Cheers,
Felix

Am Mi., 8. Apr. 2020 um 11:59 Uhr schrieb Ralf Kefferpuetz
<ralf.kefferpuetz@...>:

Google Chrome 81 was released today...

Bar skype and a few codec updates nothing has been released due to this damn virus.

Usually by now I have at least a couple releases of my display drivers for the month but nothing.

On 19/03/2020 12:22 pm, Don H wrote:
Has the release of google chrome version 81 been delayed?

.

Sarah k Alawami

Does this mean that the brave browser will also be updated as well? I use that as my default now.

Take care

On 8 Apr 2020, at 4:06, Felix G. wrote:

Best version in a long time! Reliability with NVDA seems to have
improved significantly.
Cheers,
Felix

Am Mi., 8. Apr. 2020 um 11:59 Uhr schrieb Ralf Kefferpuetz
ralf.kefferpuetz@...:

Google Chrome 81 was released today...

Bar skype and a few codec updates nothing has been released due to this damn virus.

Usually by now I have at least a couple releases of my display drivers for the month but nothing.

On 19/03/2020 12:22 pm, Don H wrote:

Has the release of google chrome version 81 been delayed?

.

well thats good to know.

On 8/04/2020 9:59 pm, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:
Google Chrome 81 was released today...

Bar skype and a few codec updates nothing has been released due to this damn virus.

Usually by now I have at least a couple releases of my display drivers for the month but nothing.

On 19/03/2020 12:22 pm, Don H wrote:
Has the release of google chrome version 81 been delayed?

.

.

Jason White

If I open a PDF file in Chrome 81, NVDA describes it as an "embedded object", then fails to read it. JAWS does the same, so I assume something changed in Chrome. On the other hand, VoiceOver for Mac with Chrome 81 reads PDF documents as well as ever.

Is this a change that NVDA and other screen readers will need to adapt to, or is it a Chrome bug? Can others reproduce it? Note that I'm not using an external PDF reader; this is entirely with the PDF processor included in Chrome. I can of course use Adobe Reader dC instead, although Chrome was until recently giving me better results on a range of PDF files.

On 4/8/20, 14:27, "Shaun Everiss" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of @smeveriss> wrote:

well thats good to know.

On 8/04/2020 9:59 pm, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:
> Google Chrome 81 was released today...

Ralf Kefferpuetz

I can confirm that. Something must be broken between the Adobe plugin and Chrome 81. I changed the default PDF app for viewing PDF files to Microsoft Edge for now and it is fast as well.

Cheers,
Ralf

If I open a PDF file in Chrome 81, NVDA describes it as an "embedded object", then fails to read it. JAWS does the same, so I assume something changed in Chrome. On the other hand, VoiceOver for Mac with Chrome 81 reads PDF documents as well as ever.

Is this a change that NVDA and other screen readers will need to adapt to, or is it a Chrome bug? Can others reproduce it? Note that I'm not using an external PDF reader; this is entirely with the PDF processor included in Chrome. I can of course use Adobe Reader dC instead, although Chrome was until recently giving me better results on a range of PDF files.

On 4/8/20, 14:27, "Shaun Everiss" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of @smeveriss> wrote:

well thats good to know.

On 8/04/2020 9:59 pm, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:
> Google Chrome 81 was released today...

Dejan Ristic

Yes, yes!

It's become refreshable again.

Cheers

Dejan

<ralf.kefferpuetz@...>:
Google Chrome 81 was released today...

Bar skype and a few codec updates nothing has been released due to this damn virus.

Usually by now I have at least a couple releases of my display drivers for the month but nothing.

On 19/03/2020 12:22 pm, Don H wrote:
Has the release of google chrome version 81 been delayed?

.

.

Dejan Ristic

Hi,

As far as I can see, Chrome has changed when we talk about handling PDF documents.

Another thing I observe is that the options such as: download, print, fit to page, etc, are not possible to use except when NVDA is switched to the focus mode. As for the browse mode in a PDF document, there's nothing one can do in Chrome. That's sad, but it's true.

Try switching to the Opera browser for the time being, because we are all aware of the fact that the very technologies we engage in our use have increasingly been changing. That'll be so till the last day on this earth. Let's try to accept what is before us. Next versions might bring us what we had in the last one and those preceeding it.

Dejan

On 09/04/2020 01:07, Jason White via groups.io wrote:
If I open a PDF file in Chrome 81, NVDA describes it as an "embedded object", then fails to read it. JAWS does the same, so I assume something changed in Chrome. On the other hand, VoiceOver for Mac with Chrome 81 reads PDF documents as well as ever.

Is this a change that NVDA and other screen readers will need to adapt to, or is it a Chrome bug? Can others reproduce it? Note that I'm not using an external PDF reader; this is entirely with the PDF processor included in Chrome. I can of course use Adobe Reader dC instead, although Chrome was until recently giving me better results on a range of PDF files.

On 4/8/20, 14:27, "Shaun Everiss" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of @smeveriss> wrote:

well thats good to know.

On 8/04/2020 9:59 pm, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:
> Google Chrome 81 was released today...

.

Felix G.

I just verified it. They really broke PDF support!
Broken PDF support for sighted users would never have slipped past
quality control, which pretty much informs us where we stand on the
global scale of things.
However, since accessibility-related bugs were fixed in this update,
let's not be overly pessimistic and just call it a mixed bag.
Best,
Felix

Am Do., 9. Apr. 2020 um 11:20 Uhr schrieb Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@...>:

Hi,

As far as I can see, Chrome has changed when we talk about handling PDF
documents.

Another thing I observe is that the options such as: download, print,
fit to page, etc, are not possible to use except when NVDA is switched
to the focus mode. As for the browse mode in a PDF document, there's
nothing one can do in Chrome. That's sad, but it's true.

Try switching to the Opera browser for the time being, because we are
all aware of the fact that the very technologies we engage in our use
have increasingly been changing. That'll be so till the last day on this
earth. Let's try to accept what is before us. Next versions might bring
us what we had in the last one and those preceeding it.

Dejan

On 09/04/2020 01:07, Jason White via groups.io wrote:
If I open a PDF file in Chrome 81, NVDA describes it as an "embedded object", then fails to read it. JAWS does the same, so I assume something changed in Chrome. On the other hand, VoiceOver for Mac with Chrome 81 reads PDF documents as well as ever.

Is this a change that NVDA and other screen readers will need to adapt to, or is it a Chrome bug? Can others reproduce it? Note that I'm not using an external PDF reader; this is entirely with the PDF processor included in Chrome. I can of course use Adobe Reader dC instead, although Chrome was until recently giving me better results on a range of PDF files.

On 4/8/20, 14:27, "Shaun Everiss" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of @smeveriss> wrote:

well thats good to know.

On 8/04/2020 9:59 pm, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:
> Google Chrome 81 was released today...

.

Well, I've hated the whole trend toward browsers opening PDF files inside themselves, as I always prefer to use a dedicated PDF reader when dealing with PDFs.  Whether you use Adobe Reader DC or some other reader, you can follow these instructions to make Chrome not open PDFs itself, but hand them off to the PDF reader you have set in Windows to handle PDF files.

Making the Google Chrome Browser Open PDF Files in Your Chosen PDF Reader

1.       Make sure that your chosen PDF Reader is already installed on your computer and that is has been set as the default app for PDF files.

2.       Activate the Chrome Menu Button, then choose Settings.  ALT+F,S

3.      Navigate to the Privacy and Security Pane, then to the Site Settings option in that pane, and activate its button.

4.      In the Site Settings Options list, navigate down to the PDF Documents option, and activate its button.

5.      In the PDF Documents dialog, throw the toggle for Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome to ON.

6.      Close Settings.

After having done this, when a link related to a PDF file is activated, the file will download in the background and open in your chosen PDF reader instead of Chrome.  For small PDF files this occurs very quickly, but for larger ones it can take a few moments for the download to complete before the file opens.

       ~ Madonna

Just as an FYI, Chrome updated to, Version 81.0.4044.92 (Official Build) (64-bit), on my machine this morning when I went to check the current version.

       ~ Madonna

mohammad suliman

Hello all,
I also experience the mentioned issue. I have reported it on Chromium bug tracker:

People are welcomed to star it so hopefully it gets more attention.
Thanks!

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:35 PM, mohammad suliman wrote:
I have reported it on Chromium bug tracker:
And a huge, massively huge thank you from me for having done so!!   Now if others activate that link, navigate to what NVDA announces as the "Star border" button (I think) and continues to say "to star this issue," and activates that button, we'll be getting somewhere.

In addition to bug reports like this, which are vital, the mechanisms that allow other users to effectively make the statement, "Hey, I've got this issue, too," by using them is what makes an issue bubble up in the priority for attention queue.

       ~ Madonna

Eilana Benish

Hi

As far as reading PDF files I am strongly recommend reading with dedicated PDF readers especially with Adobe reader .

From my experience I think that Mozilla Firefox is the best browser ever as far as Accessibility and also security best support.

Sorry Google love you, but on other apps …

‫בתאריך יום ה׳, 9 באפר׳ 2020 ב-20:03 מאת ‪Brian Vogel‬‏ <‪britechguy@...‬‏>:‬

--

 ובכבוד רב | Sincerely,

אילנה בניש מורשה נגישות שירות 2200 | Eilana Benish, service Accessibility authorized (2200)

ניהול פרויקטים – נגישות ושמישות אינטרנט וטכנולוגיות מידע  | Projects manager – Accessibility & usability on internet and ICT

📱 +972-50-7100367 | 📧 benish.ilana@...

Mohammad,

            Just as an FYI, your report was deemed a duplicate and merged into

Issue 1069448: neither NVDA nore Jaws screen readers are able to read PDF documents in latest Chrome version 81 stable

            It was deemed a regression bug, and apparently a fix has already been made as of earlier this afternoon.  The final line of the issue above notes:

Good news, this is a duplicate of bug 1047856 which has just been verified as having been fixed. I'll merge this bug now. If you have any questions or concerns after Chrome updates with the fix, please let us know!

       ~ Madonna

Dejan Ristic

Hi,

Glad to have heard it.

Dejan

On 09/04/2020 22:53, Brian Vogel wrote:
Mohammad,

            Just as an FYI, your report was deemed a duplicate and merged into

Issue 1069448: neither NVDA nore Jaws screen readers are able to read PDF documents in latest Chrome version 81 stable

            It was deemed a regression bug, and apparently a fix has already been made as of earlier this afternoon.  The final line of the issue above notes:

Good news, this is a duplicate of bug 1047856 which has just been verified as having been fixed. I'll merge this bug now. If you have any questions or concerns after Chrome updates with the fix, please let us know!

       ~ Madonna

mohammad suliman

Hello Ilana and all!

Agreed! Firefox is more stable when it comes to accessibility according to my experience also. Chrome is getting there I think. My issue with Chrome here that I really think that such a problem shouldn't found its way to the release version. This tells that Google isn't doing enough accessibility QA on Chrome I think, Which is really depressing! I have 4 apps installed on my system which are based on Chrome, besides Chrome itself of course. Those apps have bugs which originates from bugs in Chromium. What I am trying to say is that Google needs to be more careful in my opinion to not release versions of the software with bugs that affects the user experience, as much as they can of course, because those bugs will be present in other apps based on Chromium.
I think that skype soon will follow this trend and become a Chromium based app also, so this approach is gaining more and more popularity.

Have a great weekend!
Mohammad

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 at 21:55, Eilana Benish <benish.ilana@...> wrote:

Hi

As far as reading PDF files I am strongly recommend reading with dedicated PDF readers especially with Adobe reader .

From my experience I think that Mozilla Firefox is the best browser ever as far as Accessibility and also security best support.