Topics

google hangouts on the computer using nvda

Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
@Govsta Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Kevin Chao

Hangouts Keyboard Shortcuts should help:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
govsta@... Thanks in advance for all assistance.

This should help a lot. If I'm correct, you need to be in forms mode for these commands to work.

On 3/27/2016 1:06 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Hangouts Keyboard Shortcuts should help:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
govsta@... Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Kevin Chao

Yes, NVDA+SPACEBAR to to switch to focus mode and all of these keyboard commands will work. If in Browse mode, use NVDA+F2 to bypass next keypress.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:10 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:

This should help a lot. If I'm correct, you need to be in forms mode for these commands to work.

On 3/27/2016 1:06 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Hangouts Keyboard Shortcuts should help:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
govsta@... Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Kevin Chao

I've used the Hangouts Chrome extension, hangouts.google.com, and Hangouts integrated in Gmail.com. All are accessible with screen readers.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:12 PM Kevin Chao <kevinchao89@...> wrote:
Yes, NVDA+SPACEBAR to to switch to focus mode and all of these keyboard commands will work. If in Browse mode, use NVDA+F2 to bypass next keypress.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:10 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:

This should help a lot. If I'm correct, you need to be in forms mode for these commands to work.

On 3/27/2016 1:06 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Hangouts Keyboard Shortcuts should help:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
govsta@... Thanks in advance for all assistance.

If you use it with Chrome and NVDA, it's actually quite easy. I've done it several times, and haven't had any issue. In fact, if you google the phrase

Google hangout shortcut keys

There is a whole list of commands you can use while in your browser using Hangouts. Another way to get there is to disable browse mode within NVDA, then press shift slash, which will basically therefore be the questionh mark key. Then, hit ctrl+end to scroll to the bottom of the screen, and go up from there. You should see a little window that popped up with all the keystrokes. I think they call this a mobile window in html5.

Note, that little trick works on most Google based sites like docs, sheets, Drive, gmail, etc.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

@AHeart4God316
Phone: (704) 256-8010 Extension 401.

Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
@Govsta Thanks in advance for all assistance.

There ya go.  That's the exact page I was directing people to through that Google search.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...
Hangouts Keyboard Shortcuts should help:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
govsta@... Thanks in advance for all assistance.

By forms mode, remember, that is JAWS termanology.  I think NVDA calls it browse mode, so don't get confused.  Same thing though.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...
This should help a lot. If I'm correct, you need to be in forms mode for these commands to work.

On 3/27/2016 1:06 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Hangouts Keyboard Shortcuts should help:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
govsta@... Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Kevin Chao

Governor and I were able to send/accept invites, do some text-chat, and we'll try out video tomorrow.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:51 PM Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:
By forms mode, remember, that is JAWS termanology.  I think NVDA calls it browse mode, so don't get confused.  Same thing though.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...
This should help a lot. If I'm correct, you need to be in forms mode for these commands to work.

On 3/27/2016 1:06 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Hangouts Keyboard Shortcuts should help:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
govsta@... Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Thanks for all of your help, Kevin. The text stuff was quite simple. Look forward to learning video and the hangouts stuff.

On 3/27/2016 1:52 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Forms mode in JAWS = focus mode in NVDA.

Cheers,

Joseph

This should help a lot. If I'm correct, you need to be in forms mode for these commands to work.

On 3/27/2016 1:06 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:

Hangouts Keyboard Shortcuts should help:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:

Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
govsta@... Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Peter Beasley

It is focus mode.

This should help a lot. If I'm correct, you need to be in forms mode for these commands to work.

On 3/27/2016 1:06 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Hangouts Keyboard Shortcuts should help:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
govsta@... Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Felix G.

Hello list!
Regarding Hangouts, has anyone found a way to get rid of the random announcement of lots and lots of timestamps?
Kind regards,
Felix Grützmacher

It is focus mode.

This should help a lot. If I'm correct, you need to be in forms mode for these commands to work.

On 3/27/2016 1:06 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Hangouts Keyboard Shortcuts should help:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
govsta@... Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Kevin Chao

If using focus mode:
1. Shift+Tab to chat history
2. Up/Down Arrow to navigate messages
3. Conversation traversal is very user-friendly this way...

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 3:05 AM Felix G. <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:
Hello list!
Regarding Hangouts, has anyone found a way to get rid of the random announcement of lots and lots of timestamps?
Kind regards,
Felix Grützmacher

It is focus mode.

This should help a lot. If I'm correct, you need to be in forms mode for these commands to work.

On 3/27/2016 1:06 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Hangouts Keyboard Shortcuts should help:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
govsta@... Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Felix G.

Hi!
That was a valuable suggestion, thank you!
I'm trying to find an optimized workflow. Currently I have the following sequences figured out:
1. Upon starting Hangouts, enter focus mode then hc to go to conversations. Select one with arrow keys then hit enter to activate it.
2. To read history, tab or shift+tab several times then use arrows to read. Afterwards, tab or shift+tab several times again to go back to text entry.
3. To go to another conversation, esc to close chat, shift+tab to set focus to a meaningful element, hc to go to conversations, then procede as in step 1.
Still seems clunky to me but at least workable. I wouldn't call it productive though. If anyone has an idea how to streamline these user stories, please let me know.
Kind regards, and thanks again,
Felix Grützmacher

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 at 20:53 Kevin Chao <kevinchao89@...> wrote:
[...]

Step 3: ctrl with period for next conversation or ctrl with comma for prev convo.
Note: question mark will bring up list of keyboard shortcuts.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 4:27 AM Felix G. <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:
[...]

There seems to be an issue when attempting to use some of these shortcuts. I turn on focus mode, and try to use ctrl + d, for example. I get the favorites dialog. This is when using IE 11. If I remember correctly, it even happens when I'm not using the pass through to applicaiton command, NVDA + f2. Any help is appreciated, and welcome.

On 3/28/2016 10:31 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
[...]

Gene

Control d is not a screen-reader command.  it opens a save book mark dialog and it works in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.  It would make no sense to have a screen-reader have such a command, that has nothing to do with its purpose.  I don't know who is responsible for google hangouts development but I would suggest getting in touch with whomever it is and telling them that they need to look at and reassign one or more of their shortcut keys.

This should help a lot. If I'm correct, you need to be in forms mode for these commands to work.

On 3/27/2016 1:06 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Hangouts Keyboard Shortcuts should help:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
Hello guys. I need some advice on how to use nvda with google hangouts.
I have a feeling that this won't be easy. Has anyone here used it
successfully, more than once? If necessary, email me off list.
govsta@... Thanks in advance for all assistance.

David Moore

Hi,
I always want to learn. What can I do on HangOuts that is different than FaceBook? How does Google HangOuts compare to Skype. I am very active on Skype, FaceBook, and Twitter. I was just wondering what I would gain by learning HangOuts. Thanks a lot, and have a great one.

[...]

It's not a screen reader command. It's a command for a shortcut in google hangouts. I think it is to mute or un-mute the microphone.