Topics

having trouble with NVDA skipping around on a web page

Scott Berry

Hello there,

I am having a problem where NVDA skips around on universalclass.com.  I am trying to take an exam and the screen reader tends to just jump around the whole page.  I would appreciate any ideas to possibly fix this.

--
Scott Berry
Medical Office Assistant

Jonathan COHN

Sorry, you didn't say what method you are using to navigate. I expect though that NVDA is either setting focus or mouse to the location it is going over, and that is causing a JavaScript to activate and change the screen. If you are trying to read the content of the page when this is occurring , perhaps using the review cursor read all function numpad plus   might help.

It really helps as well to have an actual page to look at to try to figure out what's going on.   In this case, I imagine that would mean having to be enrolled.

That being said, this is why I encourage screen-reader users to communicate to entities like universalclass.com that they need to have a couple of sample pages of the various types of materials available for practice that anyone can get to before they are actually enrolled in anything.   That should be a basic thing that anyone offering online classes should do.  I've had to yell at several local community colleges and universities about the fact that they have nothing available under their course management systems that is a sandbox for anyone to play in.  It's hard enough getting into college courses to begin with, but you're really behind the 8-ball when you are a screen reader user and have never had any way to practice with sample materials so you don't have to "learn as you go" regarding the structure and style of the system in use.

Folks gotta raise their voices about this issue.  And throwing out mention of the ADA as part of that yelling generally doesn't hurt.

       ~ Madonna

molly the blind tech lover

I totally agree with you, Brian, 100 percent. I wish I had something like a practice area of using the discussion board in blackboard before it actually came time to use it. I’ve been discussing with the accessibility council  here in the state I’m living in. Also, in order for me to show someone what accessibility challenges I am encountering in the discussion board they’d need my username and password, not something I am willing to give.

[...]

Tony Malykh

You can try fast browse mode by pressing NVDA+nomber row 8 until you hear:
automatically set system focus to focusable elements off
I wrote it specifically to prevent JavaScript-heavy pages to steal your focus.
HTH
--Tony