Help Wanted With The Command Prompt On Windows

Ibrahim Ajayi

Hello:
I'm having problems with the command prompt on windows.
I get in to the command prompt window by typing CMD in to the run
dialog box and press enter.
I then hear: Administrator: windows system 32CMD .x terminalB
user Ibrahim
Now, when I type anything in to the box and press enter, I always get
the message saying: command is not recognized as an internal or
external command.
Even when I paste something in to the box, I get the same message.
What exactly is going on here. What am I not doing properly. So, how
can I use the command prompt.
I've never used it before now.
Hope my issue is very well understood.
Thanks for your help.
Ibrahim.

JM Casey

What exactly are you typing in, or pasting?
That is the message you get when the command is invalid or there is no executable in the set path with that name. So the error explains exactly what is going on. But you say it happens every time so I assume you are trying different things?

I'm having problems with the command prompt on windows.
I get in to the command prompt window by typing CMD in to the run dialog box and press enter.
I then hear: Administrator: windows system 32CMD .x terminalB user Ibrahim Now, when I type anything in to the box and press enter, I always get the message saying: command is not recognized as an internal or external command.
Even when I paste something in to the box, I get the same message.
What exactly is going on here. What am I not doing properly. So, how can I use the command prompt.
I've never used it before now.
Hope my issue is very well understood.
Thanks for your help.
Ibrahim.

And, as a diagnostic test, use a simple command
dir
as the thing you either type or paste in, then hit enter.  DIR has been a valid Windows command for as long as windows has existed.  And if you've opened Command Prompt with admin privileges, and are sitting in C:\Windows\system32 you will get a long stream of results from the DIR command.

Command prompt is not case sensitive.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

dennis huckle

The command prompt should put in to your user directory.
However to go to your route directory press c:\
That should put you where you need to be.
Just from there type notepad.
That should put you to the notepad app.
Sometimes you may need to change options in cmd.
Press alt and space then tab to properties then tab to use tty console or something like that.
Check that box and exit cmd by typing exit and enter.
The next time you run cmd things should be ok.
But as mentioned by another person on list you can only get to exe files by typing the name of the program as mentioned above.
Kind regards,
Dennis huckle.

I'm having problems with the command prompt on windows.
I get in to the command prompt window by typing CMD in to the run dialog box and press enter.
I then hear: Administrator: windows system 32CMD .x terminalB user Ibrahim Now, when I type anything in to the box and press enter, I always get the message saying: command is not recognized as an internal or external command.
Even when I paste something in to the box, I get the same message.
What exactly is going on here. What am I not doing properly. So, how can I use the command prompt.
I've never used it before now.
Hope my issue is very well understood.
Thanks for your help.
Ibrahim.

Ibrahim Ajayi

Hi JM Casey:
Maybe you can help me better.
Actually, I am trying to root my Android phone, and I am expected to
type in some commands in to the CMD window. I have to have my phone
connected to my computer.
I do al these, and I type the appropriate commands, and I get the
messages I spelt out in my earlier mail.
That is the issue. I've tried doing this several times.
Ibrahim.

And, as a diagnostic test, use a simple command
dir
as the thing you either type or paste in, then hit enter.  DIR has been a
valid Windows command for as long as windows has existed.  And if you've
opened Command Prompt with admin privileges, and are sitting in
C:\Windows\system32 you will get a long stream of results from the DIR
command.

Command prompt is not case sensitive.

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless
you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

dennis huckle

Hello again,
Your phone should be recognised as a drive.
However the progrmams on your phone aren't exe files.
So I don't know what you want to look at on your phone.
A better way might go in windows to this pc, cursor down to your phone drive and press enter.
You will notice several directories on your phone.
So, give us more of an idear of what you exactly want to achieve.
Kind regards,
Dennis huckle.

[...]

Again,
When connecting your android phone you might get something on your phone such as charging or power transfer.
This matters as you should insure your phone is set to file transfer.
Kind regards,
Dennis huckle.

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 07:07 PM, dennis huckle wrote:
The command prompt should put in to your user directory.
-
Only if you open command prompt without administrator privilege.  When you do that, you should be in your home folder, usually C:\Users\{your user identifier}

If you open command prompt with administrator privilege, you will be placed in C:\Windows\system32  (provided Windows was installed with typical settings).

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Gene

Where you are when you enter the commands may matter.  Do the instructions say anything about what directory, in Windows they are called folders you should be in?

Gene

On 5/21/2021 6:49 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 07:07 PM, dennis huckle wrote:
The command prompt should put in to your user directory.
-
Only if you open command prompt without administrator privilege.  When you do that, you should be in your home folder, usually C:\Users\{your user identifier}

If you open command prompt with administrator privilege, you will be placed in C:\Windows\system32  (provided Windows was installed with typical settings).

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Gene is correct.  Most times, for things like rooting software, it's not installed and its location is not added to the system PATH variable.  You need to be sitting in the folder/directory where that software is located, or you must fully qualify the path to the exe file.

It's usually much, much easier to change directory (and the command is CD) to the location where the thing you're trying to run is resident.  If you don't and its folder is not part of system path, you will get precisely the error message mentioned at the outset.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

JM Casey

Yeah…you can also navigate to the location (folder) using file exlorer and select “open command prompt at this location” in the context menu,if that makes it easier.

.

Gene is correct.  Most times, for things like rooting software, it's not installed and its location is not added to the system PATH variable.  You need to be sitting in the folder/directory where that software is located, or you must fully qualify the path to the exe file.

It's usually much, much easier to change directory (and the command is CD) to the location where the thing you're trying to run is resident.  If you don't and its folder is not part of system path, you will get precisely the error message mentioned at the outset.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

dennis huckle

Brian,

This is what I tried to imply before.

However if our friend is using an android phone and wants to access throuth the cmd I don’t really know what he wants to achieve as the programs on an android aren’t exe files.

Kind regards,

Dennis huckle.

Gene is correct.  Most times, for things like rooting software, it's not installed and its location is not added to the system PATH variable.  You need to be sitting in the folder/directory where that software is located, or you must fully qualify the path to the exe file.

It's usually much, much easier to change directory (and the command is CD) to the location where the thing you're trying to run is resident.  If you don't and its folder is not part of system path, you will get precisely the error message mentioned at the outset.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

JM Casey

No, but to root the phone you would use an exe file running on a pC. The exe file will be in some folder on the pC, not on the android device – not sure how or if you can access the Android via command prompt as unlike other usb devices, I don’t think they’re assigned a normal drive letter (at least my Samsung j120 isn’t when I connect it)

However if our friend is using an android phone and wants to access throuth the cmd I don’t really know what he wants to achieve as the programs on an android aren’t exe files.

Kind regards,

Dennis huckle.

Gene is correct.  Most times, for things like rooting software, it's not installed and its location is not added to the system PATH variable.  You need to be sitting in the folder/directory where that software is located, or you must fully qualify the path to the exe file.

It's usually much, much easier to change directory (and the command is CD) to the location where the thing you're trying to run is resident.  If you don't and its folder is not part of system path, you will get precisely the error message mentioned at the outset.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Luke Davis

dennis huckle wrote:

This is what I tried to imply before.
However if our friend is using an android phone and wants to access throuth the cmd I don’t really know what he wants to achieve as the programs on an
android aren’t exe files.
He said he wants to root it. Presumably that means he has some kind of executable firmware pusher or the like.
He was asked what the commands are and doesn't seem to want to list them, but that would be my guess.

Most likely it's what someone said: wherever he has installed the commands, is the directory into which he has to cd, in order to run them.

Luke, who still remembers the days when the error was "Bad command or filename."

dennis huckle

Luke,
Rweally proves my point,

Android apps are a pkk file or something like that.
I suspect that our friend wants to transfer files but can't be certain.
If he could tell us as mentioned before exactly what he wants to achieve I'm sure between us we could help.
Kind regards,
Dennis huckle.

However if our friend is using an android phone and wants to access
throuth the cmd I don’t really know what he wants to achieve as the programs on an android aren’t exe files.
He said he wants to root it. Presumably that means he has some kind of executable firmware pusher or the like.
He was asked what the commands are and doesn't seem to want to list them, but that would be my guess.

Most likely it's what someone said: wherever he has installed the commands, is the directory into which he has to cd, in order to run them.

Luke, who still remembers the days when the error was "Bad command or filename."

JM Casey

He wants to root the phone. He said that in his second message. To do this,
he needs to execute a programme on the pC. Sorry, but I do not know the
specific steps involved (I helped my ex root her Samsung phone but that was
a long time ago, now). Anyway, not a normal file transfer by any means; I
guess he just wants to run the programme he has downloaded in order to root
the device, which can be done through a pC connection.