Topics

Helping to make an Edge/Chrome RSS reader accessible

Amir

The Old Reader is free for up to 100 feeds and offers a Premium version with full-text search and up to 500 subscriptions and 6 months of post storage. The free tier also includes sponsored posts from time to time. It's also worth mentioning that with web-based feed services such as The Old Reader and Feedly which I've tried, updates don't come as fast or spontaneous as stand-alone readers which do the fetching of headlines and articles on their own. So if speed is a factor for you, web-based services are at least several minutes and at most an hour behind.

Best,
Amir

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 02:19 PM, Amir wrote:
updates don't come as fast or spontaneous as stand-alone readers which do the fetching of headlines and articles on their own.
-
My guess is that this is directly dependent on the default sync intervals each is using.  For many pieces of software like these, it's configurable so you can make the checks either more or less frequent.

Given that I do not use any of the things mentioned, this is based on experience with pretty much anything that has sync intervals, including e-mail clients.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

Cristóbal

So, now I had to look it up. It looks like I was indeed grandfathered in at the $2 a month.

What will you get with The Old Reader Premium?
- Full-text search
- Faster feed refresh times
- Up to 500 Subscriptions
- 6 months of post storage
- Instapaper and Readability integration
- Early access to new features

What will it cost?
The Old Reader Premium will cost $3/month or $30/year. However, for the next 2 weeks (or up to 5,000 accounts) we’ll be offering the service for $2/month or $20/year and we will lock you into that price for a minimum of the next 2 years. This is our way of saying thanks to our existing users and hopefully getting the Premium service off to a great start.

This post was back in 2014 so I guess I’ve been saving that extra buck for the past four years or so… Yea me.

Again though, you don’t have to pay.

Do I have to upgrade?
No! 90% of our users can continue on for free just as they are today. However, users with more than 100 feeds will need to upgrade to premium. Otherwise, all functionality will remain available to free accounts. We also offer a 2 week trial period for the premium service and will even allow that trial period to get extended for those still interested in moving to Premium.

https://blog.theoldreader.com/post/76417559063/the-old-reader-premium

I’m sure there are other services out there that offer similar features with paid and free tears, so it’s not like these guys have some sort of special sauce or anything. This is simply the service I’ve found to cover most of my needs. I am a heavy RSS user with multiple devices that I may use throughout the day to keep up on the news.

The Old Reader’s even got keyboard commands similar to how Twitter.com and Reddit.com an a lot of other web based programs have. I don’t particularly make use of them, but they’re there if that’s your thing as well.

Cristóbal