Topics

Helping to make an Edge/Chrome RSS reader accessible

Hope Williamson

I used to use the Old Reader, and it doesn't have filtering features
that I'm aware of. You can do this with individual feeds with siftrss.com.

Hope Williamson

It's pretty much not worth it for someone who has over 500 feeds like
me. I use the hosted version of Miniflux, https://reader.miniflux.app.

Hope Williamson

Actually I use an RSS reader that provides a feeds page, therefore the
feeds list format. The Old Reader is another example of one that
provides the feeds list format, although it kind of does it both ways, I
think. Your feeds are on the top though.

     simplerssreader.com also provides the feeds list format. I know
because I used it before my current reader, Miniflux. I use the hosted
version of a self-hosted RSS reader. https://reader.miniflux.app.

Hope Williamson

Thus the reason why I gave up on subscribing to newsletters in my inbox
long ago and use https://kill-the-newsletter.com to turn them into
feeds. Also being able to use quick navigation is much more efficient,
and I use Thunderbird for my regular email. therefore, I wouldn't
recommend using email as an RSs reader anytime soon..

   Sure you can use the web client, but over time, you're going to end
up with lots of emails if you don't keep up with it. To me that's what
an RSS reader is for. I may not want 359000 emails, but that's how many
unread items I have in my feed reader. part of the purpose of an RSS
reader is an archive, so that really doesn't bother me much.

Akash Kakkar

I Still use Miniflux and it is quite quite nice.

I host it on my own server for my personal use and use it quite heavily.

On 8/29/2020 8:48 PM, Hope Williamson wrote:
Actually I use an RSS reader that provides a feeds page, therefore the
feeds list format. The Old Reader is another example of one that
provides the feeds list format, although it kind of does it both ways, I
think. Your feeds are on the top though.

     simplerssreader.com also provides the feeds list format. I know
because I used it before my current reader, Miniflux. I use the hosted
version of a self-hosted RSS reader. https://reader.miniflux.app.

Akash Kakkar

How do you obtain the account on this hosted version of Miniflux?

I tried to sign in via google but it showed access forbidden

On 8/29/2020 8:41 PM, Hope Williamson wrote:
It's pretty much not worth it for someone who has over 500 feeds like
me. I use the hosted version of Miniflux, https://reader.miniflux.app.

Hope Williamson

Yeah Miniflux is pretty cool.

Hope Williamson

Akash Kakkar

Thanks bro.

Really thanks a lot for your help and signup link.

On 8/29/2020 10:51 PM, Hope Williamson wrote:
OK, it's right here. https://hosting.miniflux.app/signup

Amir

Thanks. As I don't have a server myself, do you recommend the online version of Miniflux? And can we trust the speed of its online refresh? Many online RSS services add a delay (few minutes up to more than 30 minutes) to the usual refresh time. Still wish I could avoid online websites and services, though.

Best,
Amir

Amir

Well, don't know about the server side, but the website refreshes RSS feeds every hour, according to their FAQ, and one can't decrease this period. Sadly it's too much for my work as I need 10 to 15-minute refreshes or even 5-minute ones for some feeds.

Best,
Amir

Hope Williamson

Sure thing!!

Hope Williamson

It refreshes every hour. However you can manually refresh feeds. no real
reason to avoid using an online service. If you really wanted to, you
could install and use Thunderbird, I suppose. No I haven't tried that so
I wouldn't be able to offer any advice on how it works or anything like
that.

Hope Williamson

You can decrease this period by manually refreshing, of course if you
follow lots of feeds, that's a bit unwieldy at times.

Akash Kakkar

Yes, I have set the refresh frequency to my server hosted miniflux to 5 minutes. If you want, then I can create an account for you.

On 8/30/2020 2:19 AM, Amir wrote:
Well, don't know about the server side, but the website refreshes RSS feeds every hour, according to their FAQ, and one can't decrease this period. Sadly it's too much for my work as I need 10 to 15-minute refreshes or even 5-minute ones for some feeds.

Best,
Amir

Amir

Thanks. That would be truly appreciated.

William

no, my feed are send with title and source.

e.g., my email subject will be like this

IOS 14 public beta is now released from Techradar technology news

Amir 於 29/8/2020 19:04 寫道:

That's true -- they can be filtered to appear in a new mail folder. But that doesn't take care of the second problem: they are delivered together despite having being marked with feed title and feed source.

Best,
Amir

Akash Kakkar

Ok,

Please get in touch me privately as I can't see your e-mail here.

On 8/30/2020 1:25 PM, Amir wrote:
Thanks. That would be truly appreciated.

Akash Kakkar

Ya, actually IFTTT idea is also quite nice.

On 8/30/2020 2:40 PM, William Wong wrote:

no, my feed are send with title and source.

e.g., my email subject will be like this

IOS 14 public beta is now released from Techradar technology news

Amir 於 29/8/2020 19:04 寫道:
That's true -- they can be filtered to appear in a new mail folder. But that doesn't take care of the second problem: they are delivered together despite having being marked with feed title and feed source.

Best,
Amir

Amir

I've been using Miniflux Trial over the past few hours. While I appreciate its simplicity and accessibility, so far my major gripes with it are:
1. Navigating among articles is very difficult. Since Miniflux doesn't use headings or regions to display each article link or separate them from adjacent article links, one has to use the Up/Down arrows to reach each article link on the feed page and move past extra links or buttons. For instance, navigation around the links/articles for the following feed is quite cumbersome: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AndroidPolice
2. It doesn't display article summaries on the feed page. So one should select each article link to move to a new page in order to see the short summary. And opening the full article requires yet another link selection. Maybe worse, Miniflux doesn't display article summaries for some feeds at all -- check this one, for instance: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/index.rss
3. Wish Miniflux had a "Refresh all feed" option. Refreshing each feed manually takes a lot of time, and the "Refresh feeds in the background" link apparently doesn't refresh them at the moment of selecting it.

The annual $15 fee sounds awesome if these issues are sorted out.

Best,
Amir