From: Amir
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2020 6:50 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Helping to make an Edge/Chrome RSS reader accessible

I'm also trying to find your email address <smile>. As I use the group's web interface to send and receive messages, finding email addresses is rather convoluted.

Best,
Amir

Hope Williamson

Hi, that would be epic, but I have a whole heck of a lot of feeds!! Like over 500, not sure if your server could handle that many.

On 8/29/2020 11:28 PM, Akash Kakkar wrote:

Yes, I have set the refresh frequency to my server hosted miniflux to 5 minutes. If you want, then I can create an account for you.

On 8/30/2020 2:19 AM, Amir wrote:
Well, don't know about the server side, but the website refreshes RSS feeds every hour, according to their FAQ, and one can't decrease this period. Sadly it's too much for my work as I need 10 to 15-minute refreshes or even 5-minute ones for some feeds.

Best,
Amir

Hope Williamson

I always click the original link every time, unless I'm reading a
kill-the-newsletter.com feed. then i use the Miniflux overlay.
Unfortunately most modern RSS readers also forsake headings, in fact,
pretty much all of them do in list/compact view. We'll never have Google
reader back again, and that's final.

Amir

Thanks for the tip.

Amir

Akash Kakkar

Amir bro,

Actually yes, you can asign article commands to NVDA for instance I've asigned "O" for moving to the next article and "shift+O" for moving to the previous article. Thus I get around this problem.

Regarding article summary, yes, that's the issue which I also feel but if you go to the "feeds" link, there you can find the link for "refresh all feeds in background"

However, I'll recheck this link again.

On 8/30/2020 5:06 PM, Amir wrote:
I've been using Miniflux Trial over the past few hours. While I appreciate its simplicity and accessibility, so far my major gripes with it are:
1. Navigating among articles is very difficult. Since Miniflux doesn't use headings or regions to display each article link or separate them from adjacent article links, one has to use the Up/Down arrows to reach each article link on the feed page and move past extra links or buttons. For instance, navigation around the links/articles for the following feed is quite cumbersome: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AndroidPolice
2. It doesn't display article summaries on the feed page. So one should select each article link to move to a new page in order to see the short summary. And opening the full article requires yet another link selection. Maybe worse, Miniflux doesn't display article summaries for some feeds at all -- check this one, for instance: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/index.rss
3. Wish Miniflux had a "Refresh all feed" option. Refreshing each feed manually takes a lot of time, and the "Refresh feeds in the background" link apparently doesn't refresh them at the moment of selecting it.

The annual $15 fee sounds awesome if these issues are sorted out.

Best,
Amir

Akash Kakkar

What is Miniflux overlay? curious to know.

On 8/30/2020 8:00 PM, Hope Williamson wrote:
I always click the original link every time, unless I'm reading a
kill-the-newsletter.com feed. then i use the Miniflux overlay.
Unfortunately most modern RSS readers also forsake headings, in fact,
pretty much all of them do in list/compact view. We'll never have Google
reader back again, and that's final.

Akash Kakkar

Wow! 500! it's too much bro, although the server can handle it, but I'll incur a bit of extra cost which can be problematic for me.

Have you tried heroku?

There, you can deploy Miniflux for free without the need of a server.

On 8/30/2020 2:19 AM, Amir wrote:
Well, don't know about the server side, but the website refreshes RSS feeds every hour, according to their FAQ, and one can't decrease this period. Sadly it's too much for my work as I need 10 to 15-minute refreshes or even 5-minute ones for some feeds.

Best,
Amir

Amir

Thanks, Akash. I saw a keyboard shortcuts option there, and will be exploring it shortly. My assumption is that one should temporarily disable NVDA's Browse mode to utilize it, right? Still wish it used headings or regions for articles/links inside feeds.

Best,
Amir

Hope Williamson

So if you don't click the link that says "original," and instead click
the link that contains the title, it opens in an overlay. What the
overlay contains depends on which feed you're reading. It may contain
the article, but some feeds won't allow it to do this, like Reddit feeds
for instance.

Hope Williamson

I haven't, I'm not a developer, so that might be a bit challenging for me.

Akash Kakkar

Ok, please give me some time, I'll setup a miniflux instance on Heroku for all of you guys and will create the accounts for you if you like it.

Please let me know your willingness.

On 8/30/2020 11:02 PM, Hope Williamson wrote:
I haven't, I'm not a developer, so that might be a bit challenging for me.

Akash Kakkar

Oh, ok,

Ya, I open the article title link itself.

So, if some of the feeds don't expose their content in this way, then not a problem, just click on "edit" besides that Feed and check the checkbox for "fetch original content". It will work.

I use it quite often and fetch some of the feeds like this way like I think android Police also requires this work around.

On 8/30/2020 10:57 PM, Hope Williamson wrote:
So if you don't click the link that says "original," and instead click
the link that contains the title, it opens in an overlay. What the
overlay contains depends on which feed you're reading. It may contain
the article, but some feeds won't allow it to do this, like Reddit feeds
for instance.

Akash Kakkar

Amir,

bro, yes, that keyboard shortcuts thing requires the "browse mode" to be off. or you can also turn off "single letter navigation" via insert shift+space.

But here, I'm talking about the native html articles.

Actually miniflux wrapps every article in <article> tag and you can asign a quick navigation shortcut key in NVDA input gestures for moving among articles in browse mode.

On 8/30/2020 10:27 PM, Amir wrote:
Thanks, Akash. I saw a keyboard shortcuts option there, and will be exploring it shortly. My assumption is that one should temporarily disable NVDA's Browse mode to utilize it, right? Still wish it used headings or regions for articles/links inside feeds.

Best,
Amir

Amir

That would be great. Thanks.

Hope Williamson

That would be epic thanks!!!

Hope Williamson

I already use the paid version, but would like a lower refresh rate,
perhaps 10-15 minutes would be acceptable.

Hope Williamson

Oh yeah I've seen that thing. Although I have some feeds that I need the
overlay for, they're newsletter feeds. If they don't open in the
overlay, I have no idea where they'd open.

Akash Kakkar

Hmm, I can check if you can provide me the link