Hi all,

Is there a way to hide quoted messages on groups.io? When reading threads on this list, I often feel annoyed by long quoted messages, so I thought...it would be nice if I could hide them so I can jump to the next message straight away.

Pete <emac00@...>

We all might want to set e-mail not to quote messages when replying to them. It would save bandwidth for people who pay by the bit. Pete

I'll also second the both prior posters' observations/suggestions.

I have been occasionally criticized because I will top-quote a single line to three lines from a prior message to establish context when I think there could be ambiguity regarding which prior message was being responded to.

I find it very difficult to plow through threads when the majority of responses bottom-quote all prior responses in their entirety.  I understand how this can and does happen, but I would welcome a feature on groups.io that would allow all quoted material below the last bit of new material (in case anyone occasionally uses a quote-response-quote-response format) to be hidden, preferably by default.  Anyone who uses Gmail via its web interface has seen this style in use for years now.

Brian

Rosemarie Chavarria

I don't know how to hide quoted messages.

On 3/10/2016 8:25 PM, Pete wrote:

We all might want to set e-mail not to quote messages when replying to them. It would save bandwidth for people who pay by the bit. Pete

Nowadays, when replying to threads on this list I used the web interface, which avoided the possibility of accidentally inserting quoted messages.

What I've been seeing is that, not only were the bottom of each messages contain quoted messages in full, but from time-to-time those quoted messages also contain quoted messages, once again in full. This makes navigating through threads really annoying. I know that when replying to a message, it's good to quote the message in question, but there has to be an option to hide it, either in the user settings page or on the thread display page.

Alternatively, the quoting of messages can be avoided entirely if there is a threaded system of replies, I.E when I reply to a message my reply would appear as another level under the original messages, of course with the option to either expand or collapse the replys.

Pete <emac00@...>

Hi
In Thunderbird to not quote the message you are replying to go to
tools menu
account settings
composition and addressing
uncheck the automatically quote the original message when replying check box
Pete

Rosemarie Chavarria

Thank you.

On 3/10/2016 9:29 PM, Pete wrote:

Hi
In Thunderbird to not quote the message you are replying to go to
tools menu
account settings
composition and addressing
uncheck the automatically quote the original message when replying check box
Pete

I'd suggest most people here are using email clients not web based systems. As we tend to top post then one only needs to read down as far as one needs to remind us of the thread debate.
I don't know how one might handle removing quoted messages on the web site as obviously there needs to be some character or group thereof that the web based system can act on.
If it were all completely web based this would be relatively easy by using different fields for things, ie the quotes would be henld in a different store. As long as you allow email though you lose this.
WE could all set our clients to not quote messages in replies and forwards, but then, I know from experience we get complaints the other way around for those not coming here often not getting up to speed if the messages have expired.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Nowadays, when replying to threads on this list I used the web interface, which avoided the possibility of accidentally inserting quoted messages.

What I've been seeing is that, not only were the bottom of each messages contain quoted messages in full, but from time-to-time those quoted messages also contain quoted messages, once again in full. This makes navigating through threads really annoying. I know that when replying to a message, it's good to quote the message in question, but there has to be an option to hide it, either in the user settings page or on the thread display page.

Alternatively, the quoting of messages can be avoided entirely if there is a threaded system of replies, I.E when I reply to a message my reply would appear as another level under the original messages, of course with the option to either expand or collapse the replys.

Well, of course if people send messages using email clients/email services, the quoted messages would be there, but if a feature could be implemented in groups.io where a user could choose to hide quoted messages. Or, at least groups.io should convert the subject of each messages in a thread when viewed online to heading levels, thereby making navigation easier as one could use the h key to jump to the next message without arrowing down through long quoted messages.

Gene

I suspect that efficient Internet navigation techniques would solve the problem.  My guess, and I haven't looked specifically, is that the word subject appears in every quoted message.  As I recall, the word subject is shown along with the subject line.  Thus, using the find command on the web page and searching for the word subject, you could jump from quoted message to quoted message.

Did you see my message about the excerpt of my Internet tutorial I have made available?  This is just the kind of situation I attempt to prepare users for.  I stress, repeatedly, how using logic and inference can allow people to figure out ways to easily navigate web pages that have no predefined structures intended to help with navigation.

Sent: Friday, March 11, 2016 5:20 AM

Well, of course if people send messages using email clients/email services, the quoted messages would be there, but if a feature could be implemented in groups.io where a user could choose to hide quoted messages. Or, at least groups.io should convert the subject of each messages in a thread when viewed online to heading levels, thereby making navigation easier as one could use the h key to jump to the next message without arrowing down through long quoted messages.

I have been trying to figure out how groups.io attempts to hide quoted material in the web interface, because some do have all or some part of bottom quoted material hidden by a blue bar with an ellipsis in it (very much like the notation used by Gmail).   It appears that it is built to trigger the hiding on the line often used at the start of quoted messages that reads, "On <insert date here> <author name> wrote:" or "Original Message."  When one of these two things preface the quoted message it does a really good job of hiding the entire message.  If it finds, "From" without either of the previous lines it seems to hide the header block of "From" through "Subject" only but displays the quoted message body.

My guess based on analyzing what gets hidden currently versus what doesn't is that a "least aggressive hiding" approach is being used for bottom-quoted material when a couple of trigger phrases are not seen that typically get generated by e-mail programs/interfaces themselves.  Perhaps a "most aggressive hiding" strategy where anything that would occur subsequent to, "On <date> <author> wrote:," "Original Message," or "From" [when it's encountered the second time in a message] might achieve full hiding of all quoted material.  (Talk about programming minutiae!!  It is, however, on topic).

Brian

Hmmm, seems like a good explanation.

Gene

A perfect example of what happens when people don't quote previous material and don't indicate what they are talking about.  It is not possible to know what the below message is referring to nor whose message is being responded to.  Is it me?  Is it someone else that explained something?

I see exactly the same problem on another list where one or two people don't quote material and don't indicate what they are referring to.

If people are going to not quote previous material, they have to be aware that they must make clear what they are referring to in their messages.

Perhaps since the list hasn't received one message from even one list member on a metered account approving the suggested change, that may mean that the reason given for initially making this change is not important to such users.  It may also mean that such users just haven't responded yet but it's interesting that almost twelve hours have gone by without one such response.

Sent: Friday, March 11, 2016 9:20 AM

Hmmm, seems like a good explanation.

Pete <emac00@...>

sure thing

Pete <emac00@...>

It's nice to have a reminder. I think quoting the message prolongs and some times side tracks the topic of the thread.

I use both, a mail client mainly but I do use the web system to clear spam and a few other things.

[...]

in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Supanut Leepaisomboon"
<@supanut2000>