I'm not trying to give you a hard time but why are you starting a new thread when the topic is still the same?  The subject line does not have to change every time you respond.  The subject line is a general indicator of what a thread is about.  If the thread changes so that it has no relevance to the old subject line, then changing it makes sense.  It makes no sense to change a subject line because you are discussing only one aspect of a thread that is related to the general topic.  You start a completely new thread every time you do this.

In addition, I don't know how much it costs for people who pay per use to receive a lot of quoted material.  The cost is one thing to consider.  There are other considerations.  For example, when I look in archives of lists, even though a lot of people don't use archives, I often find it convenient to see quoted messages.  It saves me the trouble of looking through different messages in the thread to see a lot of messages in one string.  Also, if many list members are like me, we receive a lot of mail and it is often very convenient to receive mail with quoted material in case we want to review something we might not remember clearly that occurred earlier in the thread.

If a lot of quoted material does pose a financial problem, I'll consider quoting much more selectively.  I used to not include quoted material but I got complaints on another list that I should include some quoted material.

Gene

From: Pete
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 11:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Hide quoted messages?

   Hi
In Thunderbird to not quote the message you are replying to go to
   tools menu
   account settings
   composition and addressing
   uncheck the automatically quote the original message when replying
check box
   Pete

Pete <emac00@...>

I haven't changed the subject line as far as I know.

Gene

Perhaps not.  I don't have the original any longer and I didn't have it at the time.  I may not have remembered correctly.  .

   I haven't changed the subject line as far as I know.