holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet


Joseph Norton
 

Hi listers:

 

Well, I’ve seen the update to NVDA 2022.1, but, I’m going to hold off on updating for what I hope are just a few days while I wait for an updated add-in for the Vocalizer and Eloquence voice package from CodeFactory.

 

I haven’t seen anything that I’d call earth-shattering about this 2022.1 update, but, I am on Windows 11, so maybe there are good things under the hood.

 

Any thoughts?


Bobby Vinton <vinton.bobby5277@...>
 

Well Just to let you all know I am using klat 6 and I love that voice.  I gave up on code factory because my trile would expire every the server went down and the voices would sound very crackly.  If you are looking for a good voice I would go with klatt 6.

On 5/22/2022 10:15 PM, Joseph Norton wrote:

Hi listers:

 

Well, I’ve seen the update to NVDA 2022.1, but, I’m going to hold off on updating for what I hope are just a few days while I wait for an updated add-in for the Vocalizer and Eloquence voice package from CodeFactory.

 

I haven’t seen anything that I’d call earth-shattering about this 2022.1 update, but, I am on Windows 11, so maybe there are good things under the hood.

 

Any thoughts?


 

I'm holding off upgrading for the very same reason, but I'm also waiting for the switch synth addon to be updated to support NVDA 2022.1.


Shaun Oliver
 

same here. there's a truck load of add-ons I have here that I use with regularity which precludes me from updating at this time, however, in saying that, it's not always best to go get it immediately anyway due to the fact that if you have incompatible add-ons, especially those you use all the time, you're going to find those self same add-ons becoming showstoppers.

right now I have far too many to justify the update.



On 23/05/2022 11:55 am, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
I'm holding off upgrading for the very same reason, but I'm also waiting for the switch synth addon to be updated to support NVDA 2022.1.


Sarah k Alawami
 

If you don’t get an error saying that CF add on is broken I would go head and update.  I have never updated CF add on ever since I bought the thing last year.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Norton
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2022 7:16 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet

 

Hi listers:

 

Well, I’ve seen the update to NVDA 2022.1, but, I’m going to hold off on updating for what I hope are just a few days while I wait for an updated add-in for the Vocalizer and Eloquence voice package from CodeFactory.

 

I haven’t seen anything that I’d call earth-shattering about this 2022.1 update, but, I am on Windows 11, so maybe there are good things under the hood.

 

Any thoughts?


Sarah k Alawami
 

I’ve heard the clat voices and the guy sounds like he got his teeth knocked out. Not my type of voice IMHO, actually it sounds like Espeak with that variation, of the teeth, at least to my ear.  Lol!

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bobby Vinton
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2022 7:24 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet

 

Well Just to let you all know I am using klat 6 and I love that voice.  I gave up on code factory because my trile would expire every the server went down and the voices would sound very crackly.  If you are looking for a good voice I would go with klatt 6.

On 5/22/2022 10:15 PM, Joseph Norton wrote:

Hi listers:

 

Well, I’ve seen the update to NVDA 2022.1, but, I’m going to hold off on updating for what I hope are just a few days while I wait for an updated add-in for the Vocalizer and Eloquence voice package from CodeFactory.

 

I haven’t seen anything that I’d call earth-shattering about this 2022.1 update, but, I am on Windows 11, so maybe there are good things under the hood.

 

Any thoughts?


Quentin Christensen
 

For Windows 11 specifically, you can find the full what's new here:

But just from the blurb, there are a few things for Windows 11.  Firstly using UIA in newer versions Word by default, which should make it much more responsive.  There are also various Windows 11 bug fixes, for apps such as Calculator, Console, Terminal, Mail and Emoji Panel.

I believe the Code Factory update should be out soon, and hopefully the other add-ons which haven't yet been updated will be out soon too!

Quentin.

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 12:38 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

I’ve heard the clat voices and the guy sounds like he got his teeth knocked out. Not my type of voice IMHO, actually it sounds like Espeak with that variation, of the teeth, at least to my ear.  Lol!

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bobby Vinton
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2022 7:24 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet

 

Well Just to let you all know I am using klat 6 and I love that voice.  I gave up on code factory because my trile would expire every the server went down and the voices would sound very crackly.  If you are looking for a good voice I would go with klatt 6.

On 5/22/2022 10:15 PM, Joseph Norton wrote:

Hi listers:

 

Well, I’ve seen the update to NVDA 2022.1, but, I’m going to hold off on updating for what I hope are just a few days while I wait for an updated add-in for the Vocalizer and Eloquence voice package from CodeFactory.

 

I haven’t seen anything that I’d call earth-shattering about this 2022.1 update, but, I am on Windows 11, so maybe there are good things under the hood.

 

Any thoughts?



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Sarah k Alawami
 

I just heard on my twitter feed that CF have the new update ready and it will be out soon. When soon is I have no idea but ther you go.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2022 9:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet

 

For Windows 11 specifically, you can find the full what's new here:

 

But just from the blurb, there are a few things for Windows 11.  Firstly using UIA in newer versions Word by default, which should make it much more responsive.  There are also various Windows 11 bug fixes, for apps such as Calculator, Console, Terminal, Mail and Emoji Panel.

 

I believe the Code Factory update should be out soon, and hopefully the other add-ons which haven't yet been updated will be out soon too!

 

Quentin.

 

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 12:38 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

I’ve heard the clat voices and the guy sounds like he got his teeth knocked out. Not my type of voice IMHO, actually it sounds like Espeak with that variation, of the teeth, at least to my ear.  Lol!

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bobby Vinton
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2022 7:24 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet

 

Well Just to let you all know I am using klat 6 and I love that voice.  I gave up on code factory because my trile would expire every the server went down and the voices would sound very crackly.  If you are looking for a good voice I would go with klatt 6.

On 5/22/2022 10:15 PM, Joseph Norton wrote:

Hi listers:

 

Well, I’ve seen the update to NVDA 2022.1, but, I’m going to hold off on updating for what I hope are just a few days while I wait for an updated add-in for the Vocalizer and Eloquence voice package from CodeFactory.

 

I haven’t seen anything that I’d call earth-shattering about this 2022.1 update, but, I am on Windows 11, so maybe there are good things under the hood.

 

Any thoughts?


 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 


 

Well there are a few changes but nothing massive unless you use win11
and office.
I have installed it but had to manually get zoom enhancements as not
released to community.
Outlook extended has a dev version as outlined by feeds but not a stable yet.
Vlc is a no go but well thats that.
Most things work.
As for code factory so happy I rely on sapi only.
Of course I can't wait for those trolls on audiogames.net talking
about how nvaccess should keep nvda working and that its not fair for
nvaccess to keep breaking nvda for no reason.

On 23/05/2022, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
I just heard on my twitter feed that CF have the new update ready and it
will be out soon. When soon is I have no idea but ther you go.



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin
Christensen
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2022 9:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their
feet



For Windows 11 specifically, you can find the full what's new here:



But just from the blurb, there are a few things for Windows 11. Firstly
using UIA in newer versions Word by default, which should make it much more
responsive. There are also various Windows 11 bug fixes, for apps such as
Calculator, Console, Terminal, Mail and Emoji Panel.



I believe the Code Factory update should be out soon, and hopefully the
other add-ons which haven't yet been updated will be out soon too!



Quentin.



On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 12:38 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...
<mailto:marrie12@...> > wrote:

I’ve heard the clat voices and the guy sounds like he got his teeth knocked
out. Not my type of voice IMHO, actually it sounds like Espeak with that
variation, of the teeth, at least to my ear. Lol!



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io
<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> > On Behalf Of Bobby Vinton
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2022 7:24 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their
feet



Well Just to let you all know I am using klat 6 and I love that voice. I
gave up on code factory because my trile would expire every the server went
down and the voices would sound very crackly. If you are looking for a good
voice I would go with klatt 6.

On 5/22/2022 10:15 PM, Joseph Norton wrote:

Hi listers:



Well, I’ve seen the update to NVDA 2022.1, but, I’m going to hold off on
updating for what I hope are just a few days while I wait for an updated
add-in for the Vocalizer and Eloquence voice package from CodeFactory.



I haven’t seen anything that I’d call earth-shattering about this 2022.1
update, but, I am on Windows 11, so maybe there are good things under the
hood.



Any thoughts?






--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager



Web: <http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/

User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess <https://twitter.com/NVAccess>









Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Group,

I have six incompatible add ons so I also am going to delay upgrading.  I see that none of them have released compatible add ons as of hyet.

Lions intelligent OCR
Enhanced Winamp
Clock
Day of the week
emoticons
enhanced phonetic reading

I hope they upgrade these soon.


On 5/22/2022 10:24 PM, Bobby Vinton wrote:

Well Just to let you all know I am using klat 6 and I love that voice.  I gave up on code factory because my trile would expire every the server went down and the voices would sound very crackly.  If you are looking for a good voice I would go with klatt 6.

On 5/22/2022 10:15 PM, Joseph Norton wrote:

Hi listers:

 

Well, I’ve seen the update to NVDA 2022.1, but, I’m going to hold off on updating for what I hope are just a few days while I wait for an updated add-in for the Vocalizer and Eloquence voice package from CodeFactory.

 

I haven’t seen anything that I’d call earth-shattering about this 2022.1 update, but, I am on Windows 11, so maybe there are good things under the hood.

 

Any thoughts?


-- 
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!


 

Codefactory has a twitter account?


Sarah k Alawami
 

No, this came from nv access.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Supanut Leepaisomboon
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2022 10:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet

 

Codefactory has a twitter account?


 

Hi,

As for Clock add-on, the original author of this add-on is not maintaining it, and I have no plans for releasing future releases of this add-on (stating this as the last known maintainer). Please consider this add-on abandoned and end of support.

Cheers,

Joseph


zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz <zvonimirek222@...>
 

Hi,

I can take maintainership.

Which variables are changed that it needs compatibility rewrite?

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2022 10:10 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet

 

Hi,

As for Clock add-on, the original author of this add-on is not maintaining it, and I have no plans for releasing future releases of this add-on (stating this as the last known maintainer). Please consider this add-on abandoned and end of support.

Cheers,

Joseph


 

Hi,

Let us discuss specific code rewrites on add-ons list.

Cheers,

Joseph


Darren Harris
 

I must admit I wish I had held off now I’m regretting it.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: 23 May 2022 09:38
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet

 

Hi,

Let us discuss specific code rewrites on add-ons list.

Cheers,

Joseph


Pele West
 

Hi everyone

Does anyone know if there are plans to update the IBM TTS, Braille Extender and Winamp addons to work with NVDA 2022.1?

Thanks

Pele West


 


actually emoticons has released an update.

For if interpretors I have modified the manafest, there are issues open on the github for this.

easy table navigator, extended winamp, a few others.

zoom enhancements does have addons on community.

vlc does to but addon updater aint catching it but its there.

99.9% of addons are compatible.



On 23/05/2022 5:11 pm, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have six incompatible add ons so I also am going to delay upgrading.  I see that none of them have released compatible add ons as of hyet.

Lions intelligent OCR
Enhanced Winamp
Clock
Day of the week
emoticons
enhanced phonetic reading

I hope they upgrade these soon.


On 5/22/2022 10:24 PM, Bobby Vinton wrote:

Well Just to let you all know I am using klat 6 and I love that voice.  I gave up on code factory because my trile would expire every the server went down and the voices would sound very crackly.  If you are looking for a good voice I would go with klatt 6.

On 5/22/2022 10:15 PM, Joseph Norton wrote:

Hi listers:

 

Well, I’ve seen the update to NVDA 2022.1, but, I’m going to hold off on updating for what I hope are just a few days while I wait for an updated add-in for the Vocalizer and Eloquence voice package from CodeFactory.

 

I haven’t seen anything that I’d call earth-shattering about this 2022.1 update, but, I am on Windows 11, so maybe there are good things under the hood.

 

Any thoughts?


-- 
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!


 

So I just got a reply from Codefactory, to a ticket regarding compatibility with NVDA 2022.1 that I submitted way back in April. Below is their response:
Good morning,
We are aware that a breaking NVDA update was released today.
We've been working on the addon, but unfortunately our update will take a few more days to complete.
Thank you for your patience.
The Code Factory technical team.


Joseph Norton
 

Hi:

 

I figure they were working on it.

 

I have to admit I have not been reading everything that came across the list, so there may have been posted some kind of warning about this issue.

 

Regardless, this is not a showstopper for me.

 

I am sure NVDA developers had a good reason for the changes that were made, and NVDA’s advantages outweigh any temporary loss of convenience.  Choice is a good thing, and NVDA gives us one more choice.

 

Actually, the thing I like the best about NVDA is that the screen review method is a little similar to the old DOS screen reader ASAP, and that was my number one go-to in my DOS days.  I still have my copy of ASAP and pull it out whenever I access a DOS program.

 

I’ll keep checking CodeFactory’s Web site.