Topics

How accessible is Zoom with NVDA?

Ibrahim Abedrabbo

Hello folks,

This week I will be switching to distant teaching.  I will be using zoom to meet with my students and give my lectures.

How accessible is Zoom with NVDA?

Do I need to install a special addon to use zoom efficiently on my laptop?

I know that zoom is very accessible on iOS and Android, but I am not familiar with its functionality with windows and NVDA

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Regards,

Ibrahim

Richard Kuzma

If you use google chrome, it does install a add in/plug in upon joining the meeting.

I do use it with JAWS with no problem, so assuming nvda is the same.

Will have to try it next time.

It is mostly buttons for the controls.

Hope this helps.

Rich

This week I will be switching to distant teaching.  I will be using zoom to meet with my students and give my lectures.

How accessible is Zoom with NVDA?

Do I need to install a special addon to use zoom efficiently on my laptop?

I know that zoom is very accessible on iOS and Android, but I am not familiar with its functionality with windows and NVDA

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Regards,

Ibrahim

Sarah k Alawami

It is very very accessible. Iv'e used it to teach class, etc. I love it. I've also used it to hold meetings in an organization I help to run. Ok, I'm just a secretary over there but I love to organize people.

On 28 Mar 2020, at 13:02, Ibrahim Abedrabbo wrote:

Hello folks,

This week I will be switching to distant teaching.  I will be using zoom to meet with my students and give my lectures.

How accessible is Zoom with NVDA?

Do I need to install a special addon to use zoom efficiently on my laptop?

I know that zoom is very accessible on iOS and Android, but I am not familiar with its functionality with windows and NVDA

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Regards,

Ibrahim

Sarah k Alawami

I use the app itself. I'v enot used any web pluggins, but the cool thign is, if the student can't join by app they can join by phone as well.

Take care

On 28 Mar 2020, at 13:14, Richard Kuzma via Groups.Io wrote:

If you use google chrome, it does install a add in/plug in upon joining the meeting.

I do use it with JAWS with no problem, so assuming nvda is the same.

Will have to try it next time.

It is mostly buttons for the controls.

Hope this helps.

Rich

This week I will be switching to distant teaching.  I will be using zoom to meet with my students and give my lectures.

How accessible is Zoom with NVDA?

Do I need to install a special addon to use zoom efficiently on my laptop?

I know that zoom is very accessible on iOS and Android, but I am not familiar with its functionality with windows and NVDA

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Regards,

Ibrahim

Zoom has been discussed many times, and particularly in recent days.  The consensus seems to be that it is quite accessible with NVDA.

See the topics on the archive:

Zoom with nvda

Mosen Consulting Announcement: My Audiobook about Zoom Cloud Meetings is now free

NVDA and issue with Zoom

And many others.

See:  Searching the NVDA Group Archive for a tutorial on searching the NVDA Group Archive.

       ~ Madonna

Ibrahim Abedrabbo

Thanks Richard Sara and Brian,

I just installed the Zoom client for windows ten and signed in to my university business account. On the surface, it seems that the menus are accessible with NVDA 2019.3.1 but I am not sure about the submenus and pulldown menus. I need to try it with someone to have a firsthand experience with it. I need to figure out how to setup a meeting on a specific time and send the invitation to an entire class, ETC.

Does anyone have a quick tutorial?

Regards,

Ibrahim

Zoom has been discussed many times, and particularly in recent days.  The consensus seems to be that it is quite accessible with NVDA.

See the topics on the archive:

Zoom with nvda

Mosen Consulting Announcement: My Audiobook about Zoom Cloud Meetings is now free

NVDA and issue with Zoom

And many others.

See:  Searching the NVDA Group Archive for a tutorial on searching the NVDA Group Archive.

       ~ Madonna

Jonathan Mosen's publication is about as comprehensive as you could hope for, and covers scheduling meetings.  Please go to his site, listed in the previously referenced message, and read his overview of what's covered and then download his publication.

       ~ Madonna

And to make this as easy as possible, for those who want a great audio book about how to use the most commonly used features of Zoom both as an attendee and as a meeting organizer, please see Jonathan Mosen's webpage for same:  Free audiobook, “Meet Me Accessibly – A Guide to Zoom Cloud Meetings from a Blindness Perspective”

Review his overview about the book contents there and download a free copy.  There's nothing like going to the source, and no point in rehashing anything when the source material is available with a simple link activation.

       ~ Madonna

Zoom is extremely accessible with Zoom. Some things could be improved. However, it is not a show stopper.

On 3/28/2020 4:02 PM, Ibrahim Abedrabbo wrote:

Hello folks,

This week I will be switching to distant teaching.  I will be using zoom to meet with my students and give my lectures.

How accessible is Zoom with NVDA?

Do I need to install a special addon to use zoom efficiently on my laptop?

I know that zoom is very accessible on iOS and Android, but I am not familiar with its functionality with windows and NVDA

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Regards,

Ibrahim

Stephen

The only part of Zoom which isn't fully accessible is the text chat feature, butjust about everything else is able to be accessed.
A rough estimate is that zoom is about 90% accessible right now.

Zoom has been discussed many times, and particularly in recent days.  The consensus seems to be that it is quite accessible with NVDA.

See the topics on the archive:

Zoom with nvda

Mosen Consulting Announcement: My Audiobook about Zoom Cloud Meetings is now free

NVDA and issue with Zoom

And many others.

See:  Searching the NVDA Group Archive for a tutorial on searching the NVDA Group Archive.

       ~ Madonna

The Gamages

Hello,

I have tried to get on the Jonathon Mozen site, but I get a message that this site cannot provide a secure connection.

Any ideas please?

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 10:58 PM

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 01:14 PM, The Gamages wrote:
but I get a message that this site cannot provide a secure connection.
And you just ignore that and activate whatever link/button in the dialog for the browser you're using that allows you to continue anyway.

That, or try a different browser.   None of my browsers has any issue getting an HTTPS connection to that website.  There's nothing on it to be concerned about were you using a straight HTTP connection, either.

       ~ Madonna

Gene

What link are you using? Let us know so we can check it. If list
members confirm that it is the correct link, try a different browser.
There have been times when one browser has told nme a secure
connection can't be provided and another didn't.

Gene

On 3/29/20, The Gamages via Groups.Io
<james.gamage=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello,

I have tried to get on the Jonathon Mozen site, but I get a message that
this site cannot provide a secure connection.

Any ideas please?

Best Regards, Jim.

Jonathan Mosen's publication is about as comprehensive as you could hope
for, and covers scheduling meetings. Please go to his site, listed in the
previously referenced message, and read his overview of what's covered and
then download his publication.

~ Madonna

Daniel Hawkins

Tip. If you go to the Zoom website, the app for windows is not listed there. Just clients and addons. I found out if you do a Google search for this, “download Zoom Meeting” the first link is the download for Windows based Zoom.

Lastly, if you are on the Home tab, and you tab through to settings, open that and arrow to accessibility, from there you can see a list of keyboard commands in a meeting.
Daniel Hawkins
Check out my website: iabilityi.com

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 10:06 AM, Daniel Hawkins wrote:
I found out if you do a Google search for this, “download Zoom Meeting” the first link is the download for Windows based Zoom.
Which downloads the same thing as the Zoom Client because it is the Zoom Client.   Zoom is a client-server based system and the PC side is the client.  Below are the direct links from Zoom's own Meetings webpage.

Download Zoom Mobile Apps for iPhone or Android
Download Zoom Client for Meetings

       ~ Madonna

molly the blind tech lover

I actually just used zoom to meet with my professor  to go over our final project. This was my first time ever using zoom and I am very impressed. It is very accessible.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 10:06 AM, Daniel Hawkins wrote:

I found out if you do a Google search for this, “download Zoom Meeting” the first link is the download for Windows based Zoom.

Which downloads the same thing as the Zoom Client because it is the Zoom Client.   Zoom is a client-server based system and the PC side is the client.  Below are the direct links from Zoom's own Meetings webpage.

Download Zoom Mobile Apps for iPhone or Android
Download
Zoom Client for Meetings

       ~ Madonna

Matthew Whitaker

Moderator Note:  Welcome Matthew.   I have integrated your query with a recent topic:  How accessible is Zoom with NVDA?
It would be worth reviewing what's been previously discussed in it.

-----

Hello. Does anyone here know how to navigate the Zoom interface with NVDA when in the meeting? I always seem to loose focus with NVDA and I can't navigate at time's with the tab key. In fact, other screen reader's I use are having the same issue. Could there be an addon for NVDA? I have the latest version of the screen reader.

Thank you

You might also want to download a copy of Jonathan Mosen's audiobook, Meet Me Accessibly – A Guide to Zoom Cloud Meetings from a Blindness Perspective.

       ~ Madonna

Matthew Whitaker

Ok thanks

Scott Salzman

Hi Matthew,

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you might want to try using the Zoom keyboard command Control+Alt+Shift, which will move focus to zoom's meeting controls.  It will do this, even if your focus was in another application.

Pressing the Alt key, by itself, will toggle the display or hiding of the Zoom controls.  If they're hidden, you won't be able to tab to them.  There's a better way to handle the persistent display of the Zoom controls, via an Accessibility setting in the Zoom application.  To get there, you can tab to the "Audio Settings button" and press Enter.  Then use the Down Arrow key to get to the "Audio Settings" option.  Press Enter.  That was just a way to get into the overall Zoom settings menu.  Now, use the Tab key to move through the Audio settings, until you get to the last one (Sync buttons), then press Tab once more and you should hear NVDA say "List audio selected".  Now use the Down Arrow key to get to Accessibility settings.  Press Enter.  Press Tab to move through the Accessibility settings, until you hear the option "Always show meeting controls".  If you enable this option, you shouldn't lose focus of the Zoom controls, as long as you have focus in the Zoom application, and using Control+Alt+Shift will always get you back there.

Also, have you seen the Zoom keyboard shortcuts?  That page should automatically open to the section for Windows shortcuts (it will take a few seconds to that, after the page loads).

Hope this was helpful.

Scott