Topics

How do I copy tables from a webpage while preserving their formatting

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

I need to copy some tables from a web page into a word document while
preserving their formatting. How do I do this?
See the page at the following link.
https://gcn.com/Articles/2009/12/15/ICS2-secure-software-life-cycle.aspx?Pag
e=2

Pranav

Ann Byrne

With the cursor on the line that says something like "five columns and three rows", press f8. That will select the whole table with formatting. Copy and paste it into the Word document.

At 01:40 AM 12/7/2020, you wrote:
Hi all,

I need to copy some tables from a web page into a word document while
preserving their formatting. How do I do this?
See the page at the following link.
https://gcn.com/Articles/2009/12/15/ICS2-secure-software-life-cycle.aspx?Pag
e=2

Pranav

Alexandre Alves Toco

F8 to select tables is a jaws command. It doesn’t work in nvda unfortunatelly!

I would vote for this issue if it exists...

Enviado do Email para Windows 10

At 01:40 AM 12/7/2020, you wrote:

>Hi all,

>I need to copy some tables from a web page into a word document while

>preserving their formatting. How do I do this?

>See the page at the following link.

>https://gcn.com/Articles/2009/12/15/ICS2-secure-software-life-cycle.aspx?Pag

>e=2

>Pranav

Hmmm, sounds interesting, I didn't know that it is possible to copy a whole table from a webpage using NVDA, though I tried the f8 key as suggested but nothing happens.

Stefan Banita

To copy the table, you need to use a browser plug-in.
There was something like Table2Clipboard for Firefox
And for Chrome, for example, Copytables plugin
Of course, it will be difficult for us to select selected items, but from the context menu or the edit menu after installing these plugins, you can copy the entire table.
Must try.
Stefan Banita

W dniu 2020-12-08 o 14:00, Supanut Leepaisomboon pisze:

Hmmm, sounds interesting, I didn't know that it is possible to copy a whole table from a webpage using NVDA, though I tried the f8 key as suggested but nothing happens.

Pranav Lal

Dear Ann,

As others have reported, no go.

There is indeed an issue raised for it on github.

Pranav

Pranav Lal

Alexandre,

See the following link.

Pranav

Depending on the browser you're using, there are also extensions/add-ons to make table selection, or part of table selection, easier.  Many of them have keyboard shortcuts associated with their actions.

Also be aware that preservation of formatting between an HTML table on a webpage an when it's pasted in to a Word document is not 100% flawless.  I just did a sighted selection of one of the tables on the page you referenced earlier, and when pasted in to word the 2nd and 3rd columns had their text placed at the bottom of the respective columns rather than the top, which is how they are presented on the webpage itself.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Pranav Lal

Hi Brian,

I hear you. This however is a work laptop so getting something installed is a challenge but if it is the  only way to go, I will take it.

Pranav