How do people deal with websites that have a lot of images and graphics, which cause the screen reader to slow down

Khalid Anwar

I was wondering how people do on webpages which  have a lot of images and graphics, myself i fine them quite difficult to navigate because I always find that NVDA slows down significantly, although interestingly I don’t seem to have the same problem with narrator.
I was wondering what might be the best way to deal with these, is there any way to get NVDA to skip over graphics and images completely just ignore them?

for myself,
i disabled images in firefox about:config settings.
and i disable javascript most of times.
also, if they dont work,
i copy the web page in notepad++ and read it in notepad++

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Gene

If you disable images, that may help.  I haven’t compared.  But disabling JAVA script means that you can’t do things such as use Youtube and many things won’t work including submitting forms on some sites.

If you are going to do this, you need to know how to enable scripts so you can do so when needed.  And increasingly, sites use JAVA scripts to open things like menus on sites.  for convenience, I use one browser with JAVA scripts turned off and another browser with them on so I can quickly and conveniently simply open another browser if I want to use JAVA scripts.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

JM Casey

Graphics and images shouldn’t really slow down your experience significantly. I guess if you have a very slow connection, it might still happen, but I think most of us are well and truly past the days when disabling images in your browser really made a difference.

Certain scripts, though, might indeed slow down browsing. Try a differetn browser on the same site and see what happens. If all you’re trying to do is read something, you can also attempt to use a browser’s reader mode – that might help. To invoke in firefox, you can press f9. I can’t recall what the command is in Chrome, but it also has a reader mode I believe. Edge does as well.

Installing an ad blocker

Also helps a bit, since a lot of the stuff that causes annoyances in the browsing experience are ad banners, animations and other nonsense that cause your computer work just that little bit harder to display page content.

I was wondering how people do on webpages which  have a lot of images and graphics, myself i fine them quite difficult to navigate because I always find that NVDA slows down significantly, although interestingly I don’t seem to have the same problem with narrator.

I was wondering what might be the best way to deal with these, is there any way to get NVDA to skip over graphics and images completely just ignore them?

Richard B. McDonald

The problem is more likely your browser and not your screen reader.  As for the browser, I use Firefox.  In it, “reading mode” (F9) seems to get rid of useless graphics.