How does NVDA make its GUI accessible

TheeQuinn Public

Good day everyone. I know that NVDA was made from Python that is why I am asking this question. I am trying out coding but the Python GUIs that I try do not seem to be accessible. I want to know how NVDA makes its GUI accessible.

Quinn,

           You might want to consider redirecting this question to the NVDA Screen Reader Developement Group.  The focus here is on end users, and while we have a couple of regulars here who are also developers, they're not always around, but those folks are always around on the aforementioned group.  Here are the pertinent addresses:

         ~ Vance Packard

Rui Fontes

Using WX Python.

Rui Fontes

Às 19:51 de 30/11/2021, TheeQuinn Public escreveu:

Good day everyone. I know that NVDA was made from Python that is why I am asking this question. I am trying out coding but the Python GUIs that I try do not seem to be accessible. I want to know how NVDA makes its GUI accessible.

Hi,

As Rui mentioned, NVDA uses wxWidgets/wxPython. The accessibility of graphical user interfaces depends on attitudes of GUI toolkit developers - wxWidgets folks put effort into making the interface powered by the toolkit accessible, and there has been calls to make QT usable for screen reader users (specifically, through PyQT). I put more emphasis on toolkit developers - even if the underlying GUI API from operating systems such as Windows is known to be accessible if used right, GUI toolkits such as wxWidgets and QT add additional look and feel, and it is a matter of asking toolkit developers to expose accessible properties and events for working with additional controls and assumptions. Without going into technical details (since this forum is user-centric), tools such as wxPython internally call the "parent" toolkit interface (wxPython -> wxWidgets) for many operations (having researched moving from one wxPython version to another, I can tell you that it involves years of careful planning).

Cheers,

Joseph

TheeQuinn Public

Thank you everyone for your responses, you have been extremely helpful. Enjoy the rest of your day. :)

John Isige

Briefly though, if you mean how does it make a Python GUI coding environment accessible, I don't think it does. I'm pretty sure it was written in a text editor like Notepad. VS Code is accessible and has a Python mode though.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/python/python-tutorial