Topics

How has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

As this turbulent year continues, we want to hear your good news.  Please reply (or email info@...), and tell us, how has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Devin Prater

First, if I didn't have NVDA, I'd be spending my hard-earned money on JAWS, which, in these turbulent times, not everyone has money for. Second, its powerful addons, like Braille Extender and the Lion automatic OCR addon make life easier and more fun. Braille Extender brings all keyboard keys to braille, making me much more productive with braille, and much more able to learn Python through it. Also, the open source nature of these addons, and most being hosted on Github, allows me to communicate directly with the developers through issues. I got a problem fixed through Braille Extender with the Focus display through that openness. JAWS doesn't encourage that kind of collaboration. Lion allows me to play video games more easily, the ones that can be played better with OCR, by allowing me to sit back with my game controller, while Lion reads the screen. Of course, I have to turn it off when getting to action parts rather than pure menus, but I really like just being able to sit back and relax while playing a game.

Also, NVDA's easy settings screen is so much quicker than JAWS' tree view of endless levels of settings. It's so easy to press Alt + NVDA + D, then Alt + I, to get to indentation settings when I get ready to learn to code. It just takes a lot of stress out of using a computer, and really, that's what all programs, and operating systems, should do. When I sit down at the computer, I come for a particular purpose, or reason, or group of objectives. I don't want to fight with the computer, or be limited by inaccessibility of overdesign, but I do want the computer to actually help me out with stuff. And NVDA is easy, lite, and configurable to my needs. And if the base package doesn't have that, there are addons that probably do. And in this age of stress and fear, we need this kind of freeing technology that just gets out of your way and lets you work, but also has so many helpful settings, like playing a sound for indentation, and so many addons that add great functionality to it.
Devin Prater
sent from Gmail.

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 10:50 PM Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

As this turbulent year continues, we want to hear your good news.  Please reply (or email info@...), and tell us, how has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Betsy Grenevitch

NVDA benefits me even when there is not a pandemic more than I know how to express in words. during the pandemic, however, it has worked well with Zoom since I have been attending many Zoom meetings. I do not know how to thank those who give many hours of their time to keep on working on NVDA to make it the best that it can be.

Thank you so very much.

Hi everyone,

As this turbulent year continues, we want to hear your good news.  Please reply (or email info@...), and tell us, how has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Leslie

I’ve said before how NVDA. Is the best screen reader I know.  During this pandemic I can go to tech classes using it.  I’m learning how to use Zoom and Teams.  Sometimes I run into glitches, but I don’t think this is due to NVDA.  I’m trying to learn how to get around those glitches so I can use these programs more smoothly.  The 1 core voices are fantastic.  Some people perefer eloquence, but I get retired of its inflection.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

NVDA benefits me even when there is not a pandemic more than I know how to express in words. during the pandemic, however, it has worked well with Zoom since I have been attending many Zoom meetings. I do not know how to thank those who give many hours of their time to keep on working on NVDA to make it the best that it can be.

Thank you so very much.

Hi everyone,

As this turbulent year continues, we want to hear your good news.  Please reply (or email info@...), and tell us, how has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

molly the blind tech lover

I am so grateful for NVDA.

Words can not express my gratitude.

Thank you for all that you do.

During this pandemic NVDA is helping me use webex to attend classes and helping me complete assignments.

It is also helping me stay in contact with friends and family.

If it were not for NVDA I would not be able to attend school right now.

Again, thank you so much.