How should I read the parameter information of each method in Visual Studio?


Rowen Cary
 

I use C# to program, and I want to know how to read the parameter information of each method. Visual Studio has a shortcut key, Ctrl+Shift+Space or CtrL +k, p which is useless for me. When I use the above shortcut When you press the key, NVDA will only read "Ready", but using the up and down arrows does not read the given parameter information. Is this a bug in NVDA? Microsoft has related tutorials. The following is a link. After you open it, you can press the letter H to find the relevant instructions about the parameter information, However, it is useless for me, and perhaps more accurately, it is useless for NVDA.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/using-intellisense?view=vs-2019

I very much hope that NVDA can do this and look forward to your reply.


Rowen Cary
 

I suspect this is a bug of NVDA, I may need to create an issue.


Luke Robinett
 

Good catch! I’m a Visual Studio user as well and it would be handy if this feature was screen reader accessible. Another long-standing issue which I have discussed in the past is when navigating an IntelliSense menu in the code editor, instead of just hearing the selected item as you arrow up or down, you hear the entire line of code and then the menu item each time. This makes the feature almost useless.

On Aug 4, 2021, at 9:07 AM, Rowen Cary <manchen_0528@...> wrote:



I use C# to program, and I want to know how to read the parameter information of each method. Visual Studio has a shortcut key, Ctrl+Shift+Space or CtrL +k, p which is useless for me. When I use the above shortcut When you press the key, NVDA will only read "Ready", but using the up and down arrows does not read the given parameter information. Is this a bug in NVDA? Microsoft has related tutorials. The following is a link. After you open it, you can press the letter H to find the relevant instructions about the parameter information, However, it is useless for me, and perhaps more accurately, it is useless for NVDA.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/using-intellisense?view=vs-2019

I very much hope that NVDA can do this and look forward to your reply.


Russell James
 

Please do follow up if you find a solution to this problem.

Have you ever tried to see if this is accessible to Narator?
If not, perhaps Microsoft could address that and perhaps it would then be accessible to NVDA.

I realize how optimistic that sounds...

Russ


On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 10:06 PM Luke Robinett <lukelistservs@...> wrote:
Good catch! I’m a Visual Studio user as well and it would be handy if this feature was screen reader accessible. Another long-standing issue which I have discussed in the past is when navigating an IntelliSense menu in the code editor, instead of just hearing the selected item as you arrow up or down, you hear the entire line of code and then the menu item each time. This makes the feature almost useless.

On Aug 4, 2021, at 9:07 AM, Rowen Cary <manchen_0528@...> wrote:



I use C# to program, and I want to know how to read the parameter information of each method. Visual Studio has a shortcut key, Ctrl+Shift+Space or CtrL +k, p which is useless for me. When I use the above shortcut When you press the key, NVDA will only read "Ready", but using the up and down arrows does not read the given parameter information. Is this a bug in NVDA? Microsoft has related tutorials. The following is a link. After you open it, you can press the letter H to find the relevant instructions about the parameter information, However, it is useless for me, and perhaps more accurately, it is useless for NVDA.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/using-intellisense?view=vs-2019

I very much hope that NVDA can do this and look forward to your reply.


Rowen Cary
 

Hi Luke, The problem that you mentioned that NVDA would read the whole line incorrectly has been fixed. But the parameter information can not be read so far, which really bothers me and it is also very frustrating.


Rowen Cary
 

Hi, Russell,

I tried Narrator, but it seems that I can’t read it, or I’m too new to Narrator. As a matter of urgency, I think NVDA should fix this problem. I also reported this issue in the VS community and did not get an answer. I may create a related issue in the NVDA repo. What do you think?

Thanks


Luke Robinett
 

About NVDA reading the entire line when navigating IntelliSense menus… And not to hijack the original topic of the thread, but since you said it had been fixed, I’m curious about that. I’m running Visual Studio 2019 and the latest version of NVDA and it’s still not working correctly for me. Is there something else I need to do? Thank you so much!

On Aug 15, 2021, at 7:57 AM, Rowen Cary <manchen_0528@...> wrote:



Hi Luke, The problem that you mentioned that NVDA would read the whole line incorrectly has been fixed. But the parameter information can not be read so far, which really bothers me and it is also very frustrating.


Rowen Cary
 

Hi Luke,

I also use NVDA2021.1 and VS2019, enabled the UIA selective registration option in the advanced settings of NVDA, and turned on the tooltip of NVDA. The others seem to be nothing.

Cheers


Rowen Cary
 

I created the feedback in VS. here is the link


Russell James
 

Thank you for reporting this to Microsoft!

Very nice job on the report!

Russ


On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 12:43 PM Rowen Cary <manchen_0528@...> wrote:

I created the feedback in VS. here is the link