From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Samuel Kacer
Sent: February-11-20 2:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] how to disable announcing of battery charging/not charging

Hello,

my laptop seems to be going a bit haywire. Every couple seconds the battery goes from charging to not charging and back again. NVDA announcing this each time is extremely annoying.

I tried checking NVDA settings, but couldn't find anything. Is it possible to disable NVDA automatically announcing when battery starts/stops charging?

Much appreciated,

Sam

Not that I know of but if your laptop keeps doing this all the time you probably have more issues than just nvda.

My first suspician is a faulty battery or power pack.

Some laptop support programs have a checker for this stuff and it should work.

In the case of hp anyway.

I'd go and take your unit back to the place you got it and ask them to check the battery and powerpack, it may be as little as a powerpack or at most cable which may or may not cost to much.

A battery may cost a bit more and if its an internal a bit more if out of warrenty.

If its not that, it could be a short in your power box, an electronically protected box a good power hub can cost 30 dollars but still thats not bad.

You could have issues with your power or you could have issues with the laptop itself.

I'd firstly try to get the latest bios if you don't have that and drivers.

There is a possibility it could just be windows or software but I'd take the system back to the shop and let them look at it, just make sure you back everything up first.

Its unlikely it is actually windows, and is most likely hardware or an actual issue.

Of course it could be an issue, if you have something else which you can have plugged in when that happens and see if it goes off well you will know.

If not try unplugging something if its using to much in the board.

On the other hand if its just ahppening all the time then you may actually have an issue.

On 12/02/2020 9:32 am, Samuel Kacer wrote:
Hello,

my laptop seems to be going a bit haywire. Every couple seconds the battery goes from charging to not charging and back again. NVDA announcing this each time is extremely annoying.

I tried checking NVDA settings, but couldn't find anything. Is it possible to disable NVDA automatically announcing when battery starts/stops charging?

Much appreciated,
Sam

Tyler Spivey

Pop into the python console and paste this in, pressing enter after:

import winKernel;winKernel.GetSystemPowerStatus = lambda x: None

The worst that will happen is that NVDA will break, requiring a restart. No big deal.

On 2/11/2020 12:32 PM, Samuel Kacer wrote:
Hello,

my laptop seems to be going a bit haywire. Every couple seconds the battery goes from charging to not charging and back again. NVDA announcing this each time is extremely annoying.

I tried checking NVDA settings, but couldn't find anything. Is it possible to disable NVDA automatically announcing when battery starts/stops charging?

Much appreciated,
Sam

Quentin Christensen

I'd concur with wanting to get to the root cause - stopping NVDA reporting whether the battery is charging or not will only silence the symptom, not fix the problem.

Check your battery, cable, transformer and power point.  Make sure everything is connected tightly etc - if you can replace any one of those things conveniently, that can at least rule that item out (eg I expect you should be able to plug it into a different power point to see if it keeps happening, which will at least confirm the powerpoint is ok).

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Samuel Kacer

Thanks to you all for the suggestions.

@Tyler Spivey  Your trick works and is exactly the thing I was looking for.

To the others, I appreciate the suggestions for checking what the problem with the battery was, even though that's not what I was looking for, but it is appreciated none the less.

Today the mysterious battery problems stopped, mysteriously. Yesterday while this was going on, storm Ciara was raging outside, so maybe it was affecting the electric lines in some way and that's what was causing the faulty behaviour.