How to get NVDA speak a word

Hi group,

For some reason NVDA does not speak the word 'dot'.
What do I do to have it speak that word?

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified

I am presuming you've already restarted NVDA and your computer.  If not, try that.

If you have, then take a look at your NVDA dictionaries and, possibly, your synth.  I have no issue with the word, "dot," being read when I've got it in a sentence.  I'm using NVDA 2020.4, OneCore David.  I've got nothing, in any dictionary, that matches on the three characters of the word "dot" in any way, shape, or form.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Brian, I have done both of those.
My OS is Windows 10 and I use the latest edition of NVDA.
Where do I go to configure NVDA to speak the word 'dot'?

I am presuming you've already restarted NVDA and your computer.  If not, try
that.

If you have, then take a look at your NVDA dictionaries and, possibly, your
synth.  I have no issue with the word, "dot," being read when I've got it in
a sentence.  I'm using NVDA 2020.4, OneCore David.  I've got nothing, in any
dictionary, that matches on the three characters of the word "dot" in any
way, shape, or form.

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless
you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

--

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 07:24 PM, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Where do I go to configure NVDA to speak the word 'dot'?
-
Nevzat,

          What I'm trying to say is that you don't configure NVDA to say it, because it should say it be default, but my guess is that at some point someone has put in a dictionary entry that is somehow snagging dot and substituting nothing.

           The first thing to check is the default dictionary, which you can reach via NVDA+N,P,D,D, then start down arrowing through all the entries, looking for one where the pattern string contains dot, somewhere.  It need not be a perfect match, it could be something like ".*dot" or "dot*" but it will most likely have those three characters somewhere.  If you find one, and have no idea what it's for, remove it.  Let's hope that whoever created it, and that could be you, entered a comment field when they did as that makes it much easier to know what the intent was, and whether removal is likely to trigger another issue.

            If there's nothing there, then try the previously mentioned keyboard shortcut sequence, but substitute V for that last D to look at the Voice Dictionary.  It's possible the offending entry could be in there.

            Since this persists across having shut NVDA down and started it again, it cannot be the temporary dictionary.

            If you find nothing in the dictionaries that could be causing this, I'm at a loss.  I'd try changing synth and voice just to see if the issue persists after having done so.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

I tried your suggestions but still have the issue.
Would uninstalling and installing NVDA help?

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 08:24 PM, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Would uninstalling and installing NVDA help?
-
It couldn't hurt, but you may want to consider, if you can do it, creating a portable copy of NVDA from another machine and seeing, if you run that, whether the issue goes away.

If memory serves, when you uninstall NVDA, your various user settings and the like are not removed, and if the issue lies there, an uninstall/reinstall may do nothing.  But if you have a portable copy created from another machine, it can help in diagnosing.

I really can't figure out why the word "dot" would not be said barring something being rigged to make that happen.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Jackie

So, Nevzat, let me get this straight. If you go into Notepad & type
the word "dot", are you saying NVDA won't read it?

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 08:24 PM, Nevzat Adil wrote:

Would uninstalling and installing NVDA help?
-
It couldn't hurt, but you may want to consider, if you can do it, creating a
portable copy of NVDA from another machine and seeing, if you run that,
whether the issue goes away.

If memory serves, when you uninstall NVDA, your various user settings and
the like are not removed, and if the issue lies there, an
uninstall/reinstall may do nothing.  But if you have a portable copy created
from another machine, it can help in diagnosing.

I really can't figure out why the word "dot" would not be said barring
something being rigged to make that happen.

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless
you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

First, are you talking about the actual word dot,,, or are you talking about a period?

[...]

Luke Davis

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021, Nevzat Adil wrote:

Would uninstalling and installing NVDA help?
Before going that far, you can try NVDA+control+r three times rapidly, to reset your configuration to factory defaults.

Though the question remains: is this the word dot, the period at the end of a sentence, or a decimal point that you're talking about?

Can you give us an example of a phrase where you would expect to hear dot, but don't.

Luke

I am talking about the word dot.

[...]

In the following message, I have misspelled the word dott to try to get your synthesizer to say the word.

And looking at all entries in both the default dictionary and the voice specific dictionary doesn't show an entry for dott? If not, I don't know what the cause might be.

Whatever the possible cause, the easiest solution, if no dictionary entry is present, might be to add an entry for dott. Create an entry for the word dot, and for the replacement field, write the word dott, the same word you write in the pattern field.

[...]

Gene, reading your message my synthesizer read the extra letter 't'
but not the word 'dot'.

[...]

As I thinnk about it, I think that's what a dictionary entry would do.

[...]

I just tested my idea and it doesn't work. Dot isn't spoken if a dictionary entry is added using dot in the pronounced as field.

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 11:15 AM, Gene wrote:
Dot isn't spoken if a dictionary entry is added using dot in the pronounced as field.
-
So, are you saying you've actually replicated the original problem?  If so, details please.

I can't get anything that has the word dot in it not to say dot when NVDA is reading.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

I can get the word dot to be pronounced as such by using the regular expression pattern:
\bdot\b
and the replacement string
dawt

One should not have to do this, but dawt is pronounced correctly.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Jackie

Nevzat, what synthesizer are you using?

I can get the word dot to be pronounced as such by using the regular
expression pattern:
*\bdot\b*
and the replacement string
*dawt*

One should not have to do this, but dawt is pronounced correctly.

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless
you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

I can cause dot not to be spoken with a dictionary entry with dot in the pattern field and a space in the pronounced as field.

I had wondered if making a second entry with dot in both fields would override the first entry, but it doesn't, so if I have both entries in the dictionary, that doesn't solve the problem.

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 11:50 AM, Gene wrote:
I had wondered if making a second entry with dot in both fields would override the first entry, but it doesn't, so if I have both entries in the dictionary, that doesn't solve the problem.
-
It won't.

This is a rehash of a question I asked months ago and that's now been answered two times, kindly, once by Quentin Christensen and once by Luke Davis.  When Quentin and I were having a "deep dive" discussion about dictionary processing, he sent me the following, which, given the nature of the content and it's being non-private and about NVDA dictionary processing, I'll post below:
-----
Dictionary entries are processed in order, and do continue, but based on the current, not original, text.  So I just tried setting up the following entries:

change "dog" to "cat"
change "12345" to "54321"
change "432" to "dog"

Encountering the text 12345 now, the first rule is skipped, since there is no "dog" in this text.
The text includes 12345 so it becomes 54321.
The third rule is then evaluated and the 432 in the current text is changed to dog.

So NVDA reads:

5dog1

If the text read "dog 12345", it would be read as:
cat 5dog1.

I'm not sure if that's documented anywhere, and given that rule order is meaningful, there is no current way to reorder rules (I wrote the 12345 to 54321 and 432 to dog rules, and then thought to try adding dog to cat first, but had to delete the other two and write all three from scratch in the order I wanted them).
-----

Hence the reason I object to the dictionary processing not dropping out upon first match.  That result is insane, and it's something that no rational person would ever predict, and were something similar happening by accident rather than intent, be able to untangle.  But that's not relevant to the specific issue here.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon