Topics

How to hide rows with certain text value in Excel

Cristóbal

Hello list,

So, I’m having a bit of  a brain cramp here and need a refresher.

I periodically receive an excel spreadsheet (Office 2016) with hundreds of rows of data for my interpreting business. I have to select which assignments I can cover. There are a myriad of languages and services in this spreadsheet throughout the state of California. As I mainly cover Spanish language assignments, filtering by that language is easy enough, but within that language, there is another criteria in another cell specifying the type of interpretation service requested. Legal, Medical, standard, etc. So, I don’t really cover legal interpretation

And this is where I’m stuck. I’d like to be able to hide the appointments/rows where the requested service is “In Court Certified,” but can’t find where to do it. I’ve poked around online and there are some step-by-step instructions, but either I can’t follow the sequence or they involve macros. I’m not against using macros per say even though I’m not too familiar with them, but I figure there has to be a way to simply hide the rows I’m not interested in seeing and condensing the spreadsheet.

These appointments are pretty much first come first serve, so being able to better filter out the superfluous ones would be a huge help to my productivity instead of sifting through one by one to see if it’s legal or not.

I’m mainly a Jaws user, but I suppose this sort of inquiry can apply to Jaws or NVDA.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cristóbal

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Isn’t that a typical case for using autofilter? Press alt-h s f on the header cell and then alt-arrowdown….

[...]

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Cristóbal

I like to select my rows by holding the shift key as I arrow down colmn A. I then press control and space which highlights the entire row in each case thus completing the block of cells.

After selecting all your rows, there are three ways to hide them.

I took this from the web:

If you enjoy working with the ribbon, you can hide rows in this way:

1.Go to the Home tab > Cells group, and click the Format button.

2.Under Visibility, point to Hide & Unhide, and then select Hide Rows.

Hide rows in Excel using the ribbon.

Alternatively, you can click Home tab >Format > Row Height and type 0 in the Row Height box.

Either way, the selected rows will be hidden from view straight away.

Hide rows using the right-click menu

In case you don't want to bother remembering the location of the Hide command on the ribbon, you can access it from the context menu: right click the selected rows, and then click Hide.

Hide rows in Excel via the right-click menu.

Excel shortcut to hide row

If you'd rather not take your hands off the keyboard, you can quickly hide the selected row(s) by pressing this shortcut: Ctrl + 9

How to unhide rows in Excel

Here is the link to the full article:

https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2017/11/29/hide-unhide-rows-excel/#hide-rows-excel

All the best,