Topics

How to make sure that formatting is perfect in Excel

Mohd. Ahtesham Shaikh

Hi friends,
I have a job where formatting is very important in excel. I always face issues relating to some text getting hidden in a cell due to reasons like cell size being small, alignment/ indentation of the text or any thing like this.
Is there any training tutorial or podcast which gives training on tackling such issues and preparing a perfectly formatted excel based document like purchase order. Any clarification needed to understand this problem is always welcome. Please help me in this matter. It is affecting my performance at my work place.
--
Mohd. Ahtesham
From India
Using Windows 8.1 at home and windows 10 pro in office

Mohd. Ahtesham Shaikh

Hi friends,
-- I think this message has not grabbed attension of the mailing list users, so resending it again. Kindly help me in this.
Mohd. Ahtesham
From India

Chris Mullins

Hi

Could you say what keyboard based formatting you currently use? 

The key things are column widths, cell formatting/formulas/filling, cell merging, sheet naming, moving and copying but if you know all these already, there’s not much more I can say.

Cheers

Chris      

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mohd. Ahtesham Shaikh
Sent: 15 July 2019 07:48
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to make sure that formatting is perfect in Excel

Hi friends,
-- I think this message has not grabbed attension of the mailing list users, so resending it again. Kindly help me in this.
Mohd. Ahtesham
From India

Mohd. Ahtesham Shaikh

Yes I do use all these but my problem is when there is a huge form which needs to be edited and formatted, I face issues.

I mean there are certain cells which are smaller than the text they contain but since I am unable to view the text visually, I do not know if the text is fully visible to people with vision or not. So now I need some key command which detects such issues in the excel file and creates a list of corrective suggestions.

Example, there is a key combination, nvda key plus f but it reads cell formatting features of a particular cell which it very time consuming when the sheet huge.

Moreover, there have been instances where even by trying to auto fit the height of the cell, still the text is hidden and so on.

So the reasons of such issues is also not clear.

Hope my concerns are understood.

Thanks

On 15-Jul-19 5:16 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi

Could you say what keyboard based formatting you currently use? 

The key things are column widths, cell formatting/formulas/filling, cell merging, sheet naming, moving and copying but if you know all these already, there’s not much more I can say.

Cheers

Chris      

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mohd. Ahtesham Shaikh
Sent: 15 July 2019 07:48
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to make sure that formatting is perfect in Excel

Hi friends,
Mohd. Ahtesham
From India

--
Mohd. Ahtesham
From India

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 07:57 AM, Mohd. Ahtesham Shaikh wrote:
I face issues.
Have you no one you collaborate with?   Is there no one you can have take a look, literally, at what is supposed to be the final product?

There really are times, when speed is of the essence in particular, where there is no substitute for sight.  And from a business perspective it's a much more effective use of time (and money) to seek assistance from a collaborator in an instance like this.  Said assistant doesn't even have to understand the content, per se, but just look for things like the glaring run of # symbols if a numeric cell has become too small for its numeric value or similar.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

~ André Gide

Quentin Christensen

Getting formatting to visually look "right" in Excel can be tricky.  I cover quite a few tips in the Microsoft Excel with NVDA module (available from   https://www.nvaccess.org/product/microsoft-excel-training-for-nvda-ebook/  ), however, it can take a bit of exploration to work out what works best in your own spreadsheets.

By default, Excel will allow cells to overflow - that is the text to continue off out the right hand edge of a cell - if there is text in the next cell the right, it "cuts off" the first cell text (visually - the text is still there).  If there isn't, the text is allowed to flow across to the right until it hits a cell with text, but even if it doesn't, that doesn't always look right either.

In format cells (CONTROL+1), on the alignment tab (control+tab), there is an option to "wrap text".  That makes the cell (and thus its row) taller to ensure that all text in the cell is visible (it wraps down to a second, third, or more lines as needed in order to fit in the width allowed.

Alternatively, on the Home Ribbon (alt+h), under "format", (o), there are options to autofit row height, or column width (or manually specify either) to ensure text fits.  Again, this will work better in some situations than others, and it is hard to offer a blanket rule here.

One caution - there is an option in format cells -> aligment, called "shrink to fit", which does what it says - it shrinks the size of the text to ensure it fits in the cell.  That sounds good as it doesn't alter the size of the cells, but it could make text miniscule, or at the very least inconsistent with surrounding cells.  I would avoid using that option.

Remember with any of those options, you can set it for one specific cell, but often it is easiest if you select a whole column, or row and then set it - for instance, if you have a column of figures, you can select the column (control+spacebar to select a column - and for completeness, shift+spacebar to select a row), then autofit column from the home ribbon, and it will fit the column to the width of the widest text in it.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 4:58 PM Mohd. Ahtesham Shaikh <mohd.ahtesham@...> wrote:
Hi friends,
I have a job where formatting is very important in excel. I always face issues relating to some text getting hidden in a cell due to reasons like cell size being small, alignment/ indentation of the text or any thing like this.
Is there any training tutorial or podcast which gives training on tackling such issues and preparing a perfectly formatted excel based document like purchase order. Any clarification needed to understand this problem is always welcome. Please help me in this matter. It is affecting my performance at my work place.
--
Mohd. Ahtesham
From India

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta1 now available!