Topics

How to right click using laptop keyboard.

Kevin Cussick

as the subject says, how do I do a right click using the laptop keyboard in nvda and if it is the right bracket or left bracket or plus sign can you tell me where these keys are for quickness? thanks in advance.

Chris

on mine its the key between the right ctrl and alt keys

On 17/03/2016 20:50, Kevin Cussick via Groups.io wrote:
as the subject says, how do I do a right click using the laptop keyboard in nvda and if it is the right bracket or left bracket or plus sign can you tell me where these keys are for quickness? thanks in advance.

Right Click in NVDA is NVDA+] on laptop keyboard layout and the right square bracket is two keys to the right of the 'P' key on standard keyboards (whether laptop or desktop).

Brian

Kevin Cussick

Hi, trying avg again, in the system tray I tried this keystroke and I did get a context menu, but it was not for avg! it said programs and features and I can't remember what else any other ideas? yes I can use the system tray addon might have to as it actually does work but thought there should be a right click for programs in the system tray.

On 17/03/2016 21:14, Brian Vogel wrote:
Right Click in NVDA is NVDA+] on laptop keyboard layout and the right
square bracket is two keys to the right of the 'P' key on standard
keyboards (whether laptop or desktop).

If you don't have a context menu key, try shift f10.  That is a Windows command and most of the time right clicks the item you are on.

Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2016 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to right click using laptop keyboard.

Hi,   trying avg again,   in the system tray I tried this keystroke and
I did get a context menu,   but it was not for avg!   it said programs
and features and I can't remember what else any other ideas? yes I can
use the system tray addon might have to as it actually does work but
thought there should be a right click for programs in the system tray.

On 17/03/2016 21:14, Brian Vogel wrote:
> Right Click in NVDA is NVDA+] on laptop keyboard layout and the right
> square bracket is two keys to the right of the 'P' key on standard
> keyboards (whether laptop or desktop).
>
> Brian

Gene is correct that Shift+F10 generally brings up the context menu for the item with focus.

You may need to use WinKey+B and left arrow until you know that you're on the AVG system tray icon before hitting Shift+F10.

Also, you say you're on a laptop.  You have the very easy option of turning the mousepad on and using the hard mouse buttons.  I have a number of clients who cover the actual pointer manipulation area of the mousepad with a small square of cardboard of the thickness necessary to make it not recognize any touches on their laptop and who then use the native left and right click buttons.

Brian

Pete <emac00@...>

shift + F10
does a right click

Kevin Cussick

Hi, tried the context key and nothing happens doubt shift f10 would be any different but thanks will give it a try this is a case for the system tray addon working over the normal way of accessing the tray in window's.

On 17/03/2016 22:22, Gene wrote:
If you don't have a context menu key, try shift f10. That is a Windows command and most of the time right clicks the item you are on.

Hi, trying avg again, in the system tray I tried this keystroke and
I did get a context menu, but it was not for avg! it said programs
and features and I can't remember what else any other ideas? yes I can
use the system tray addon might have to as it actually does work but
thought there should be a right click for programs in the system tray.

On 17/03/2016 21:14, Brian Vogel wrote:
Right Click in NVDA is NVDA+] on laptop keyboard layout and the right
square bracket is two keys to the right of the 'P' key on standard
keyboards (whether laptop or desktop).

Brian

Kevin Cussick

I did not say I was on a laptop, I said I use the laptop keyboard and I do this for all computers regardless if it is a desktop or laptop.

On 17/03/2016 22:46, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gene is correct that Shift+F10 generally brings up the context menu for the item with focus.

You may need to use WinKey+B and left arrow until you know that you're on the AVG system tray icon before hitting Shift+F10.

Also, you say you're on a laptop. You have the very easy option of turning the mousepad on and using the hard mouse buttons. I have a number of clients who cover the actual pointer manipulation area of the mousepad with a small square of cardboard of the thickness necessary to make it not recognize any touches on their laptop and who then use the native left and right click buttons.

Brian

Aravind R

in laptop, insert+right bracket NVDA+] does right click.
please read nvda help tutorial available in its main menu under help

On 3/18/16, Kevin Cussick via Groups.io
<the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I did not say I was on a laptop, I said I use the laptop keyboard and
I do this for all computers regardless if it is a desktop or laptop.

On 17/03/2016 22:46, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gene is correct that Shift+F10 generally brings up the context menu for
the item with focus.

You may need to use WinKey+B and left arrow until you know that you're on
the AVG system tray icon before hitting Shift+F10.

Also, you say you're on a laptop. You have the very easy option of
turning the mousepad on and using the hard mouse buttons. I have a number
of clients who cover the actual pointer manipulation area of the mousepad
with a small square of cardboard of the thickness necessary to make it not
recognize any touches on their laptop and who then use the native left and
right click buttons.

r. aravind,

Assistant manager
Department of sales
mobile no: +91 9940369593, 9710945613.
email id : aravind_069@yahoo.com, aravind.andhrabank@gmail.com.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 04:10 am, Kevin Cussick <the.big.white.shepherd@...> wrote:
I did not say I was on a laptop, I said I use the laptop keyboard and I do this for all computers regardless if it is a desktop or laptop.

Fine, but my observation applies just as much to a desktop mouse (maybe more so) than a laptop mouse pad.  You can either tape over the optical port on the bottom or remove the ball from a mechanically based mouse and have a left/right click for "in case of emergency" that won't involve accidental movement of the mouse pointer.  You will, though, have to use WinKey+B and left arrow to make sure that you have focus on the AVG system tray icon.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Brian

Kevin Cussick

I did and it doesn't work with avg so there is a case for the system tray addon for me.

On 18/03/2016 11:57, Aravind R wrote:
[...]

I had a similar problem back in 9 x wear I could not'
't right click on some thing in the system tray while using w-eyes. I used to have to unload w e and load up jaws and move the jaws cursor to the offending item then I could use number pad right click on it.
g w micro kept telling me routing w e cursors to do the same thing was a non issue. The w e cursors never were routed to the proper place. I was using w e 4.11 at the time.
I hope nvda comes up with an exceptional way to route a cursor to what has focus so one can do things to it and be able to review what text may be around.
w e never did insisting it was a non issue.
Using the mouse with nvda is really really good to get to places on the screen!
What about it can the nvda cursor be made to act more like a mouse to click on objects with out pressing ins + slash?
and
Can nvda's review cursor be routed to the object with focus reliably?
I only ask this because a lot of times I use ins + dash to move the nvda cursor to what I am on it will go to a blank place.
Oddly enough the ins + dash command moved the nvda cursor to the correct place in this e mail. Some times the ins + dash command will move the nvda cursor to the title instead of the current character or word that has focus. Not sure why. It reminds me of w e routing it's cursor to the top of the page instead of the tab control that had focus at the time. Being able to move the cursor to what has focus or what nvda announces / reads is especially useful, to me any ways.

Thanks!
Pete