Topics

How to start NVDA on an USB drive automatically

Christian Ohrens

Hello all,

As the subject said: I’m looking for a possibility to let a portable version of NVDA run automatically when I insert an USB drive to my computer like the autorun function on CDR.

I’ll get a new computer next week and for setting it up I want to use NVDA. Because I don’t know which letter the USB drive would have, it might be more comfortable if NVDA would run itself after pluggin in the Drive. Would this be possible?

Regards and thanks

Christian

Gene

You can't do it for security reasons. Windows removed that ability many years ago to keep malware from running that might be on a thumb drive.

But you can run Narrator, use it to run NVDA, then unload Narrator. You can have both running and unload Narrator.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2021 11:41 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] How to start NVDA on an USB drive automatically

Hello all,

As the subject said: I’m looking for a possibility to let a portable version of NVDA run automatically when I insert an USB drive to my computer like the autorun function on CDR.

I’ll get a new computer next week and for setting it up I want to use NVDA. Because I don’t know which letter the USB drive would have, it might be more comfortable if NVDA would run itself after pluggin in the Drive. Would this be possible?

Regards and thanks

Christian

Monte Single

Hi, I think the option to have a program run upon insertion of usb device was discontinued by micro soft  during or after windows xp.

This was for security purposes.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Christian Ohrens
Sent: February 9, 2021 11:41 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] How to start NVDA on an USB drive automatically

Hello all,

Regards and thanks

Christian

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 12:41 AM, Christian Ohrens wrote:
Because I don’t know which letter the USB drive would have, it might be more comfortable if NVDA would run itself after pluggin in the Drive. Would this be possible?
-
Technically, you could make that happen, but it wouldn't be selective for that drive alone, so its a very bad idea.

You can assign your thumb drive a fixed drive letter if you so choose.  I do that for certain SD cards, USB thumb drives, and USB external HDDs.  This is done in Disk Management by selecting the drive when it's been plugged in and has the default system assigned drive letter, selecting it, bringing up the context menu, and selecting Change drive letter and paths

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Christian

That way of doing it stopped back I think in window 8 or was it seven. they said it was a security risk that Microsoft put into place.

It might of even been earlier.

but there are other ways of starting a portable copy of NVDA from a usb stick on another computer like using narrator etc to start nvda.

If you are interested I do have other ways of starting nvda from a usb stick or cd from off my website at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20audio%20tutorials.htmlhttp://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20audio%20tutorials.htmlIt will also depend if on a public network there is exe blocking software to stop nvda from runnning.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 10/02/2021 6:41 pm, Christian Ohrens wrote:

Hello all,

Regards and thanks

Christian

Hmmm not sure if thats possible.

Because autoruns in viruses could have this, the security in 7 and up was updated to not allow it.

I am unsure how to write an autorun inf file

but I believe its [autorun]

then file=nvda.exe, but of course I am unsure.

I haven't needed to do this for a bit.

On 10/02/2021 6:41 pm, Christian Ohrens wrote:

Hello all,

Regards and thanks

Christian