How to Use Easy Table Navigator Add-on

Chris Smart

What keystrokes does the Easy Table Navigator Add-on give me? I can’t seem to find them anywhere.

I’m hoping it gives me HTML table navigation similar to some of the keystrokes in Jaws, which read column and row names as I move between cells in a row or up and down cells in a column.

Chris

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 12:45 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
What keystrokes does the Easy Table Navigator Add-on give me?
-
As far as I remember, it's just the use of the arrow keys to navigate table cells, but there might be more.

Before you can use it you must define the keyboard shortcut via the Input Gestures dialog to toggle Easy Table Navigator on/off.  There is a dedicated Easy Table Navigator entry in the Input Gestures dialog, and only a single entry under it, for defining the toggle (and the note there only references the arrow keys for navigation).  I use CTRL + ALT + T for the toggle, but it can be anything.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

Jacob Kruger

Easy table nabigator includes one keystroke that you can find in input gestures, under the category easy table navigator:

Toggles table navigation layer on or off. When active, arrow keys can be used to navigate between cells

I have it set to NVDA+shift+T on all my machines, but anyway - just remember to turn it off when about to leave a table's contents.

Jacob Kruger
Skype: BlindZA
On 2022/09/21 18:57, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 12:45 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
What keystrokes does the Easy Table Navigator Add-on give me?
-
As far as I remember, it's just the use of the arrow keys to navigate table cells, but there might be more.

Before you can use it you must define the keyboard shortcut via the Input Gestures dialog to toggle Easy Table Navigator on/off.  There is a dedicated Easy Table Navigator entry in the Input Gestures dialog, and only a single entry under it, for defining the toggle (and the note there only references the arrow keys for navigation).  I use CTRL + ALT + T for the toggle, but it can be anything.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

Louise Pfau

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 10:57 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
As far as I remember, it's just the use of the arrow keys to navigate table cells, but there might be more.

Before you can use it you must define the keyboard shortcut via the Input Gestures dialog to toggle Easy Table Navigator on/off.  There is a dedicated Easy Table Navigator entry in the Input Gestures dialog, and only a single entry under it, for defining the toggle (and the note there only references the arrow keys for navigation).  I use CTRL + ALT + T for the toggle, but it can be anything.
I couldn't figure out how to enter an input gesture that didn't conflict with one already assigned.  I ended up uninstalling Easy Table Navigator.

Louise

Chris Smart

Thanks.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

There must surely be something undefined for it? what does the suggested key sequence do on your machine instead.
In my view something like this needs to be in nvda core as tables have always been a source of intrigue for me with my seemingly poor memory for such things as labels of columns and headers.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 10:57 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

As far as I remember, it's just the use of the arrow keys to navigate
table cells, but there might be more.

Before you can use it you must define the keyboard shortcut via the Input
Gestures dialog to toggle Easy Table Navigator on/off. There is a
dedicated Easy Table Navigator entry in the Input Gestures dialog, and
only a single entry under it, for defining the toggle (and the note there
only references the arrow keys for navigation). I use CTRL + ALT + T for
the toggle, but it can be anything.
I couldn't figure out how to enter an input gesture that didn't conflict with one already assigned. I ended up uninstalling Easy Table Navigator.

Louise

Chris Smart

Agreed.

I prefer how when I move between cells in a table, Jaws reads the row or column name as appropriate. I have to keep a lot less information in my short-term memory that way.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 09:24 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
I prefer how when I move between cells in a table, Jaws reads the row or column name as appropriate.
-
Does NVDA not already do this if you have the desired checkboxes checked in Document Formatting Preferences related to tables?

It's a part of the NVDA core code.  Easy Table Navigator was created simply to make in-table movement much less keyboard intensive, the announcement choices, including row/column headings, is in the previously noted preferences in the tables section.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

Hi,

Ah, talking about one of my add-on creations?

Easy Table Navigator is designed to bring JAWS table layer commands to NVDA. I (the original author of this add-on) intentionally left table layer toggle command undefined so users can assign custom commands (there is a more pressing reason: we are running out of keyboard keys for add-on command use). It does not change table column/row header announcement. At the moment Easy Table Navigator is maintained by another person (I let that add-on go a while ago to reduce development workload).

Cheers,

Joseph

On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 05:09 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
At the moment Easy Table Navigator is maintained by another person (I let that add-on go a while ago to reduce development workload).
-
Joseph,

I knew you were one of the original developers, and also knew that you'd "passed the torch."  You should know that on the Community Add-Ons Page the Authors of Easy Table Navigator are still showing as:  Corentin Bacqué-Cazenave, Joseph Lee

Even though I know you are, indeed, an author of this code, I consider the "authors" field on that page to mean "maintainers" once the torch has been passed, so I don't know whether you intend to remain listed or not.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

Hi,

I keep my name there for historical reasons and to remind myself and others that I had a part in the history of that add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph