How to use NVDA to navigate and use text boxes inserted in MS Word

Rowen Cary

Hello Everyone,

I want to know how NVDA should interact with the text box in Word. If you want to insert a text box, you can open the Word document and press Alt + N, X in turn.
Is there any information to indicate this?
Sorry, I can't access the text box well using UIA and non-UIA.
However, many resume templates use it, and we should be able to interact with it easily.

Thanks.

Quentin Christensen

Text boxes in Word are not good practice, and we recommend avoiding them.  Word's accessibility checker also flags them as problematic, and not just for NVDA.

If you want data in boxes, with or without borders around the text, you should use tables.

You can get to the text boxes via the accessibility checker:
Alt+r, then a, then 1, then a again.  Down arrow to the "Image or text not inline" in the treeview, expand that and select a text box and press enter.  You can then tab between additional text boxes.

You can also get there by adding another text box - alt+n, x, then escape from editing the new text box but keep it selected, and tab to others.

In fact the accessibility checker mostly complains about it not being inline, but even inline text boxes aren't easily read, they just appear as "slash" when reading.  If you select the "slash" you can press enter to go into it and read it, but note that it still isn't proper text - eg if you press control+a to select everything in the document, and copied it into say notepad, you'd lose the text boxes and all their content.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

My question here is:  What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

My gut makes me suspect you may be trying to create a form that can be filled out.  If my gut is correct, you're much better off using MS-Word fillable forms, which are 100% accessible if you know how to create them.  I know I've posted my tutorials about doing this (which aren't comprehensive, but more of a how to get started sort of thing) here or on the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group, or both.  I may have even posted on the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group.  That material has made the rounds quite a few times.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Louise Pfau

I’m glad other people have made observations about having trouble navigating text boxes.  I’ve received some documents recently that used them and were inaccessible.  I believe I posted on another list about using text boxes because it wasn’t directly related to NVDA.

Louise

Luke Davis

Brian, do you have a website with all of your tutorials and such available, rather than having to push them out any time someone needs one via Google drive? Not that there's anything wrong with the latter, but it seems like it would be easier on you.

Luke

Brian Vogel wrote:

you're much better off using MS-Word fillable forms, which are 100%
accessible if you know how to create them.  I know I've posted my
tutorials about doing this (which aren't comprehensive, but more of a how to get started sort of thing) here or on the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users
Group, or both.  I may have even posted on the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group.  That material has made the rounds quite a few times.--

Quentin Christensen

Another way of accessing text boxes is documented by Microsoft on this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-a-screen-reader-to-select-and-read-text-boxes-and-images-in-word-9c5bf5ca-9c24-41d0-ba68-8972caf95e88#:~:text=the%20Selection%20pane-,Access%20text%20inside%20text%20boxes,to%20open%20the%20Home%20tab.

Basically, press ALT+H, S, L, P, which opens a pane on the right hand side listing any text boxes in the current document.  This works similarly to the accessibility checker in terms of getting around the boxes.

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 6:30 AM Louise Pfau <lpfau@...> wrote:
I’m glad other people have made observations about having trouble navigating text boxes.  I’ve received some documents recently that used them and were inaccessible.  I believe I posted on another list about using text boxes because it wasn’t directly related to NVDA.

Louise

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

luke, i agree with you.
brian, i found many times useful tutorial links from you in nvda users
group and did not download when reading messages and forgot to
download later!

Brian Vogel wrote:

you're much better off using MS-Word fillable forms, which are 100%
accessible if you know how to create them. I know I've posted my
tutorials about doing this (which aren't comprehensive, but more of a how
to get started sort of thing) here or on the Windows 10 for Screen Reader
Users
Group, or both. I may have even posted on the Microsoft Office
Accessibility Discussion Group. That material has made the rounds quite a
few times.--

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

what is text box?
and is there any shortcut to navigate between all of the text box as
we navigate between links and headings in web browsers and microsoft
word using brows mode?

Web: www.nvaccess.org

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Quentin Christensen

A text box is a rectangle you can type text into and place anywhere on the page.  It's basically a way of dragging text wherever you want it visually on a page, but it isn't very accessible. The easiest way to get to it is probably that way I mentioned before from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-a-screen-reader-to-select-and-read-text-boxes-and-images-in-word-9c5bf5ca-9c24-41d0-ba68-8972caf95e88#:~:text=the%20Selection%20pane-,Access%20text%20inside%20text%20boxes,to%20open%20the%20Home%20tab

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Rowen Cary

Thanks to Quentin and others who provided useful information.
Can NVDA or other add-ons provide a way to read and fill in such text boxes? It's good to use forms, but I often receive this kind of documents that use text boxes, which is beyond my control.

Thanks.

Rowen Cary

I have a new view. In the MS help file, I learned that you can use ctrl+alt+5, which seems pretty good.
Thank you everyone

Quentin Christensen

Oh that control+alt+5 works well.  So many workarounds for something which ideally would have worked in the first place :)

I'm guessing that you've worked out the answer to your previous question about filling in text boxes Rowen, but for anyone else wondering - once you navigate to a text box, eg control+alt+5 then tab to the one you want, press ENTER to go into it in edit mode.  You can then edit the text as you need.  You can select all the text in the text box with control+a.  Once done, press escape.

Kind regards

Quentin.