I can't turn off NVDA

David Van Reyk <David.VanReyk@...>

Hello!
I had our ITD department set up NVDA on my work laptop. I think I did this without managing the settings. So at the moment, I can't turn it off when the computer starts up. Once I have logged in I can work without getting the audio descriptors (I am not visually impaired, I am a teacher using it to get user experience).  For the life of me, I can't work out where I modify the settings for NVDA such as setting up what keystroke protocol to use to turn NVDA off and on. Apparently, there was a thread
https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/trouble_closing_n but I am struggling to find the thread to read what it says.
Cheers,
David

Every NVDA user needs to know how to do two basic things when almost any question arises.  The one you want really depends on the exact nature of the question:

1.        Bring up the NVDA Commands Quick Reference:  NVDA + N, H, Q  [NVDA Menu, Help, Commands Quick Reference]

2.      Bring up the NVDA User Guide:  NVDA + N, H, U   [NVDA Menu, Help, User Guide]

In the User Guide, the NVDA Settings Section, the two settings (in the General settings) for Start NVDA after I sign-in and Use NVDA during sign-in are discussed.  If both of these are unchecked, NVDA does not start automatically.

Shutting down NVDA can be accomplished via NVDA + Q or by finding the NVDA icon in the system tray (it may be in the overflow area), right clicking on it, and choosing Exit from the context menu.

In all probability the NVDA key is going to be Insert.  That's the default.  If you are using laptop keyboard layout it's CAPS LOCK.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

I should have mentioned that you can bring up the NVDA Settings Dialog using NVDA + N, P, S  (which is how your students would do it) or by bringing up the context menu by right clicking on the NVDA system tray icon, choosing Preferences, then Settings.

Not that you would likely search our group archives using the screen reader, but these two tutorials may prove useful for your students:

Searching a Groups.io Topics Page/Archive

Browsing a Groups.io Topics Page/Archive

You will most likely do it "the sighted way" (as do I, in most cases, since I am sighted) just by going to the archive page and using the search box.  There are some notes in those tutorials that apply to "massaging the results presentation" that apply no matter how you initially conduct the search.  It's just that you'll point and click to get to them, in all probability.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

You may need an admin do it for you.

I am setting nvda on a system that will not be needed so I plan to do it from start.

However when I ever setup a system on a computer that like needs it, I tend to make my configs, set it up with the addons I need, make the portable, do a transfer and install it.

Its how I usually do it to an active system.

Thats what I do on most cases.

Unless like the system I will be setting it on being a minimal case system used for spaciffic tasks.

Its not going to need everything I usually setup as its going to do a spaciffic set of tasks.

The only time I will need to do anything with it is when I maintain it once a year or more so I don't need the latest everything just the basics.

On 21/04/2022 5:06 pm, David Van Reyk wrote:
Hello!
I had our ITD department set up NVDA on my work laptop. I think I did this without managing the settings. So at the moment, I can't turn it off when the computer starts up. Once I have logged in I can work without getting the audio descriptors (I am not visually impaired, I am a teacher using it to get user experience).  For the life of me, I can't work out where I modify the settings for NVDA such as setting up what keystroke protocol to use to turn NVDA off and on. Apparently, there was a thread
https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/trouble_closing_n but I am struggling to find the thread to read what it says.
Cheers,
David

Arlene

To do it. 1. Hold down the insert key 2 hit the q and you will be asked if you want to quit NVDA. If you do. Then hit the enter key. Bam! It’s gone.  Or, if you don’t want to shut it off. Hit the escape key.

Sent from Mail for Windows