I do not know if I need the windows app update but

Betsy Grenevitch

I am not able to update to this version of the Windows app that Joseph sent out because it keeps saying I am missing something in my version of Windows10. Do you have to have another version of Windows? My laptop updates as it needs to so I have assumed I have the latest of windows 10.

Thanks.

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Arlene

Hi Betsy, All you have to do is hold down the windows key and hit r. Then type in winver.  This tells you what version of windows ten you have.  Have you been asked every night to update your computer? I’ve been asked to have it update and shut down.

Sent from Mail for Windows

I am not able to update to this version of the Windows app that Joseph

sent out because it keeps saying I am missing something in my version of

Windows10. Do you have to have another version of Windows? My laptop

updates as it needs to so I have assumed I have the latest of windows 10.

Thanks.

--

Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

It also helps, a lot, to know exactly what error message is being produced.  For those who haven't used NVDA Speech Viewer, it's a godsend (even for this sighted person) for snagging precisely what NVDA has recently read off to you.  I know that it's well-nigh impossible to memorize error message text, but assistants need it.

For those who've never used NVDA Speech Viewer, here are the step-by-step instructions for setting up a keyboard shortcut to toggle the Speech Viewer window on when you need something and off after you have it.  I presume NVDA is already running

1. Hit NVDA + N, P, N  [NVDA Main Menu, Preferences, Input Gestures]
2. In the Input Gestures dialog box, Filter by box, enter:  speech view.  This will get you the only entry, under tools, for the toggle you need to assign.
3. Tab once to land on the Tools category, then down arrow once to gain focus on Toggle the NVDA Speech Viewer.
4. Navigate to the Add button and activate it.
5. You will then be prompted to enter the shortcut you prefer.  I used CTRL + SHIFT + V myself, but you can choose whatever you want.  After you release the shortcut you've used, you will be presented with a choice as to whether to use this for the desktop keyboard layout or all keyboard layouts.  I chose all.
6. Navigate to the OK key, and activate.
NOTE:  Steps 1 through are only done ONCE, which establishes CTRL + SHIFT + V (or whatever you chose) as the toggle on/off for the NVDA Speech Viewer window.

Whenever you need to snag something that NVDA recently announced, hit the input gesture (AKA keyboard shortcut) you just specified.  You can select the text from there.  Obviously, opening Speech Viewer as promptly as possible after hearing what you need to snag makes it easier to find it near the very top of the text that Speech Viewer currently has.

         ~ Vance Packard

Hi,

I know exactly what Betsy is talking about: this is because you are using a Windows 10 release earlier than 21H2. As versions earlier than 21H1 are no longer supported for consumers, you MUST upgrade, more so if using 21H1 as its support ends in December.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 08:39 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
I know exactly what Betsy is talking about: this is because you are using a Windows 10 release earlier than 21H2.
-
And the only way that should be the case is if Windows Update is broken or if someone manipulated the machine such that Windows Update is disabled.

I just had a huge pissing match about this on one of the JAWS groups, and if it's not a case of accidental breakage, then once the next Feature Update is completed, do NOT turn off Windows Update.  This situation is about the least disruptive scenario.  There is absolutely no good reason to disable Windows Update, period, end of sentence.  The "bad update" is really incredibly rare and the myth that they've ever been common needs to die a very rapid death.

Personally, in a case like this I would follow the tutorial I wrote:  Performing a Windows 10 or 11 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows ISO file

It tends to have a cleaner end result and is less prone to failure when a system has "stopped updating," whatever the reason for that might be.

         ~ Vance Packard

Betsy Grenevitch

This is exactly the message I got. How do I turn on Windows Update again? I will write the steps down in case it happens again. Will these directions you sent the link for take care of it or do I need to do something else/  Sorry I am not that technical and with my dementia now it is even more difficult.

Thanks.

On 8/29/2022 9:00 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

OK I tried to be brave and have updated windows. I will try the ad-on now. Thanks so much. I will still keep the directions you sent in this email in case they are needed in the future.

[...]

Thank you so much Joseph. I just did it. I have no idea how it got turned off.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 09:38 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
How do I turn on Windows Update again?
-
Betsy,

If you did not intentionally turn it off, then it's most likely an accidental breakage that will be repaired with the next Feature Update (which you will have to apply manually).

It's at least worth a try doing this, "The easy way," first.  This means going to the Windows 10 Download Page, activating the Update Now button on that page, then letting things take their course.  I believe you will be asked several questions before the meat of the "taking their course" actually begins, but after it does, you can just walk away for a while.

I'd suggest kicking this off just before retiring for the evening.  If that method of updating (and fixing Windows Update as part of it) fails, then we can go back to the ISO method.

         ~ Vance Packard

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 09:45 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
OK I tried to be brave and have updated windows.
-
Great and congratulations!

If you want to check if Windows Update is active.  Go to Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update Pane and activate the Check for Updates button at some point over the next several days.  There will probably be no updates, but if that's the case a message comes back telling you that no updates are available.  This confirms that Windows Update went out to the Microsoft Servers and did check, and that it's also doing so on its own behind the scenes without you intervening.

         ~ Vance Packard

Betsy Grenevitch

Thanks, because even though it says it is updated it is still not the latest version. Do I have to turn off the computer after and update to make it become effective/ Sorry for so many questions.

On 8/29/2022 9:47 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I have written down these directions because something is not working right with what I tried.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 09:52 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
Thanks, because even though it says it is updated it is still not the latest version.
-
If you hit your Windows key then immediately type winver and hit enter
OR
hit Windows Key + R, then enter winver in the run edit box and hit enter, what Windows 10 Version and Build does Windows tell you that you have?  If you wish to copy and paste you can either use Screen Review or NVDA Speech Viewer to snag that data.

The latest version of Windows 10 should be reported as Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1899).  If that's not what's being reported, it would be really helpful to know what is.

         ~ Vance Packard

Michael Chopra

 Yes, when you go to shutdown, there should be an option to update and restart, do that and you'll be fine. Remember, always keep your pc plugged in when doing updates.

Thanks.

From Michael.

On 30/08/2022 13:52, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:

[...]

It says H1 and yet when I check for updates without trying your way yet it says things are updated. This is really strange.

On 8/29/2022 9:58 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 09:52 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
Thanks, because even though it says it is updated it is still not the latest version.
-
If you hit your Windows key then immediately type winver and hit enter
OR
hit Windows Key + R, then enter winver in the run edit box and hit enter, what Windows 10 Version and Build does Windows tell you that you have?  If you wish to copy and paste you can either use Screen Review or NVDA Speech Viewer to snag that data.

The latest version of Windows 10 should be reported as Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1899).  If that's not what's being reported, it would be really helpful to know what is.

         ~ Vance Packard

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Michael Chopra

Also, what you might want to check is that there isn't a button that says, "download and install", in the windows update settings as well.

Thanks.
FROM Michael.

On 30/08/2022 13:58, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 09:52 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
Thanks, because even though it says it is updated it is still not the latest version.
-
If you hit your Windows key then immediately type winver and hit enter
OR
hit Windows Key + R, then enter winver in the run edit box and hit enter, what Windows 10 Version and Build does Windows tell you that you have?  If you wish to copy and paste you can either use Screen Review or NVDA Speech Viewer to snag that data.

The latest version of Windows 10 should be reported as Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1899).  If that's not what's being reported, it would be really helpful to know what is.

         ~ Vance Packard

Betsy Grenevitch

I just went to check on updates the way Brian gave me and it says everything is up to date yet it is still H1.

On 8/29/2022 10:02 PM, Betsy Grenevitch via groups.io wrote:

[...]

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 10:02 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
It says H1
-
Betsy, it can't say "H1."   Windows Versions are always 4 characters in the Windows 10 and 11 era.  The first two characters are the year of release, the second two characters are the half of that year in which that release took place.

So, you have things like 20H2, 21H1, 21H2.

If yours is still saying 21H1, then please refer back to my post telling you "the easy way" to force an update from the Windows 10 Download Page.  The one applied from there is definitely the November 2021 update, which is 21H2  (year 2021, second half of the year).

         ~ Vance Packard

Michael Chopra

Okay, tab across and see if you can find a button that says, "download and install", and press that. This is done from windows update settings.

Thanks.

From Michael.

On 30/08/2022 14:19, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:

[...]

When I used the link in this email it said I still had no updated so am trying it now. That is strange the other way did not update it but hopefully this will work.