Topics

I greet thee with a bug report

Brandon Cole <Superblindman01@...>

Greetings,

I come seeking assistance with an NVDA bug that has recently sprung up. For some reason, NVDA will no longer read any of its own dialogs. The NVDA menu, the quit NVDA dialog, and so on. Furthermore, these dialogs no longer seem to have titles at all, let alone much content in them. Running NVDA whilst also running Jaws just to be sure showed me this. When bringing up the NVDA menu, NVDA said nothing at all, but even Jaws only said “submenu, submenu, submenu” as I browsed through the items. What’s more, anything that had an associated hot key didn’t seem to have one. Instead of saying Alt Plus T or Alt Plus B for example, what I heard was “Alt Plus…” And then simply nothing. I even uninstalled NVDA and reinstalled it, only to discover the issue persisted even during the reinstallation. It is a very disconcerting bug, and I am desperately hoping someone else has heard of this before. Thanks for any help you can provide. One final note for whatever it’s worth, this bug only seems to affect NVDA. Jaws is just fine.

Thanks all!

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Try the following first it is found under the tools then the menu you want is called Run COM Registration Fixing tool...

Then follow the directions.

If you do not know how many times to get to those menus do the following if not spoken out.

nvda key + letter N to bring up the preferences menu then arrow down2 times this will put you on the tools menu there is a sub menuthen use the right arrow key to open the sub menu then arrow down 7 times this will put you on the com registration menu then press the enter key..

hopefully that fixes the problem for you. You might have to also reboot the pc for it to come right.

Gene nz

On 21/08/2020 9:46 am, Brandon Cole wrote:

Greetings,

I come seeking assistance with an NVDA bug that has recently sprung up. For some reason, NVDA will no longer read any of its own dialogs. The NVDA menu, the quit NVDA dialog, and so on. Furthermore, these dialogs no longer seem to have titles at all, let alone much content in them. Running NVDA whilst also running Jaws just to be sure showed me this. When bringing up the NVDA menu, NVDA said nothing at all, but even Jaws only said “submenu, submenu, submenu” as I browsed through the items. What’s more, anything that had an associated hot key didn’t seem to have one. Instead of saying Alt Plus T or Alt Plus B for example, what I heard was “Alt Plus…” And then simply nothing. I even uninstalled NVDA and reinstalled it, only to discover the issue persisted even during the reinstallation. It is a very disconcerting bug, and I am desperately hoping someone else has heard of this before. Thanks for any help you can provide. One final note for whatever it’s worth, this bug only seems to affect NVDA. Jaws is just fine.

Thanks all!

Hi.

Yeah, I get this sometimes usually on system startup.

nvda control n will not work, menu up but not read hit it again, menu will go away but no read.

Fix, wait for a bit and it will fix itself or click nvda icon in the tray then it read then the keys work again.

Crash on brousers and half of it freezes.

If you restart nvda it will be fine, it will log a freeze though.

notification tree going unknown.

Restart windows.

Usually its a crash where another program has exited then crashed and not exited properly.

Not sure how to get all this to work right but nvda has been at least a lot better with the last 2.

But put the system under stress and yeah it can happen.

Remember that when nvda starts, don't immediately do something especially after a windows startup as the system may not be fully booted.

Even with my flash ssd systems I have not everything is running and some stuff may take time to pop up.

Greetings,

Thanks all!

Thanks for this suggestion, but sadly it did not work. I ran the tool, restarted the whole system, and still have the same issue. Bah, I say. Bah.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of hurrikennyandopo ...
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 6:23 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] I greet thee with a bug report

Hi

Try the following first it is found under the tools then the menu you want is called Run COM Registration Fixing tool...

If you do not know how many times to get to those menus do the following if not spoken out.

nvda key + letter N to bring up the preferences menu then arrow down2 times this will put you on the tools menu there is a sub menuthen use the right arrow key to open the sub menu then arrow down 7 times this will put you on the com registration menu then press the enter key..

hopefully that fixes the problem for you. You might have to also reboot the pc for it to come right.

Gene nz

Greetings,

Thanks all!

Were I you, I'd try uninstalling NVDA first.  Then following these instructions:

Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

Then restarting the machine again prior to doing a reinstall on NVDA.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.

~ Oscar Wilde

OK, thanks. I’ll give that a shot as well.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 6:56 PM

Were I you, I'd try uninstalling NVDA first.  Then following these instructions:

Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

--

~ Oscar Wilde

In this case, even if SFC comes back clean when run initially, still follow it up with a run of DISM as well.

Also, what Windows are you running, version and build?
--

~ Oscar Wilde

I am running windows 10, build 19041.450

Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 7:00 PM

In this case, even if SFC comes back clean when run initially, still follow it up with a run of DISM as well.

Also, what Windows are you running, version and build?
--

~ Oscar Wilde

Hi,

I think I know exactly what could have happened: if a system restart nor NVDA restart didn’t fix the problem and if this only affects NVDA interface, chances are that somehow NVDA’s interface language was set to a language you may not have heard of. To verify, either:

1. Press Control+NVDA+R three times to see if NVDA starts speaking English. After that, restart NVDA, and configure NVDA to your liking again.
  2. With NVDA not running, open Run dialog (Windows+R) then type “%appdata%” without quotes, then open “nvda” folder. Locate a file named “nvda.ini” and look at what “language” line says. Change this line to “language = Windows”, making sure that tab character is preserved. Save the file and start NVDA.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 3:56 PM

--

~ Oscar Wilde

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 07:06 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
that somehow NVDA’s interface language was set to a language you may not have heard of.
If this turns out to be the case, and it turns out that editing the nvda.ini file is necessary, I'd be very curious to know that the "language =" line read before being edited to "language = Windows".

--

~ Oscar Wilde

Holy cow, this worked! The language was set to NE! Of all the silly little… Hahaha, thanks very much!

That said, I also want to report that I ran the SFC scan, and it actually did find and fix some corrupted files, so thanks for that. I will keep that one in my troubleshooting back pocket. I was just about to hop on and report that the SFC fix did not fix NVDA when I saw this new suggestion, tried it, and low and behold, it worked. Hahahahaha. Thanks again all!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 7:07 PM

Hi,

I think I know exactly what could have happened: if a system restart nor NVDA restart didn’t fix the problem and if this only affects NVDA interface, chances are that somehow NVDA’s interface language was set to a language you may not have heard of. To verify, either:

1. Press Control+NVDA+R three times to see if NVDA starts speaking English. After that, restart NVDA, and configure NVDA to your liking again.
  2. With NVDA not running, open Run dialog (Windows+R) then type “%appdata%” without quotes, then open “nvda” folder. Locate a file named “nvda.ini” and look at what “language” line says. Change this line to “language = Windows”, making sure that tab character is preserved. Save the file and start NVDA.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 3:56 PM

--

~ Oscar Wilde

Gene

It may be that sending a log to those who have the technical knowledge to understand it might give an answer. I'll let those who know about the way to have the log contain the information you want and set the log to the correct level discuss the matter further.

Aside from that, if the log doesn't give a good answer you can implement, do you have system restore points? Can you run one from before the problem started? Sometimes, that's the best way to solve an obscure problem which might take a lot of time and effort to solve.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 5:51 PM

Thanks for this suggestion, but sadly it did not work. I ran the tool, restarted the whole system, and still have the same issue. Bah, I say. Bah.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of hurrikennyandopo ...
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 6:23 PM

Hi

Gene nz

Greetings,

Thanks all!