Topics

I think NVDA has a memory leak or something

Dan Beaver

I am running 2019.3 on a windows 10 laptop.

I was jumping around in some Firefox pages and had been doing so for about 30 minutes or so.  I went through a lot of pages.

After a while my system suddenly became very sluggish and then almost locked up.  It also started blowing more hot air than usual and I had to power down and reboot to get it to straighten up.  It is running cool again and no sluggishness.

Any thoughts?

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

i thought this problem is fixed in nvda 2018.1 by fixing
did you test with for example 2017 versions of nvda?

On 3/9/20, Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@...> wrote:
I am running 2019.3 on a windows 10 laptop.

I was jumping around in some Firefox pages and had been doing so for about
30 minutes or so.  I went through a lot of pages.

After a while my system suddenly became very sluggish and then almost locked
up.  It also started blowing more hot air than usual and I had to power down
and reboot to get it to straighten up.  It is running cool again and no
sluggishness.

Any thoughts?

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Dan Beaver

No, I am running 2019.3.  This is later/newer than 2018.

Dan Beaver

On 3/9/2020 4:45 AM, zahra wrote:
i thought this problem is fixed in nvda 2018.1 by fixing
did you test with for example 2017 versions of nvda?

On 3/9/20, Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@...> wrote:
I am running 2019.3 on a windows 10 laptop.

I was jumping around in some Firefox pages and had been doing so for about
30 minutes or so.  I went through a lot of pages.

After a while my system suddenly became very sluggish and then almost locked
up.  It also started blowing more hot air than usual and I had to power down
and reboot to get it to straighten up.  It is running cool again and no
sluggishness.

Any thoughts?

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Giles Turnbull

I do not know if what I experience is related but, since upgrading to 2019.3, I frequenly need to restart NVDA with the CTRL+ALT+n keystroke because speech from NVDA almost grinds to a hault.

This usually happens when I'm using Firefox but what I don't know, because I'm totally blind and don't often have sighted help, is wheter Windows has ground to a halt, Firefox has or NVDA has! I do know that I didn't get this happening anywhere near as frequently before the upgrade to NVDA 2019.3.

I'm using Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit) and Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.657)

Giles

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 09:53 AM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.657)
I presume you mean 1909 if the build number you give is correct.

       ~ Madonna

Ian Blackburn

I also  get NVDA stopping speaking at random times.

can be when I run MS word 2010 or firefox or just in explorer

latest NVDA  with the following adons:

sis tray list
    golden cursor  v4.0
easy table navigator  v2.0
VLC v 2.10

thanks

Ian

Giles Turnbull

No, Brian, I do not mean 1909! I copied the information from NVDA's speech viewer which was reporting the info from the winver app. I have just double checked it and it is still saying version 1903.

Giles

Giles,

           Sorry.  The 1903 to 1909 feature update changed the build number from 18362 to 18363, respectively, which is an unusually small jump.  As soon as I see "1836" as the first four digits of build I think 1909 these days.   Usually the build numbers jump quite a bit further on feature updates, which makes it easier to remember which major build number and Windows 10 version number go together.

            In any case, anyone still on 1903 should force an update to 1909 at this point.  Microsoft cleared it for all machines a month or two ago, and if a machine hasn't self-updated to it by now that suggests some sort of hitch in the gitty-up of Windows Update.   Step-by-step:

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

               It helps if everything is as up to date as it can be when attempting diagnostics.

       ~ Madonna