I've really gotten myself into a pickle.

Sarah k Alawami

Hello to all. I had an ad don which was not working so I decided to try and start nvda with admin privileges. Bad move. Now UAC keeps asking me if I want to make change's. No matter if I hit yes, no, restart my system, I cannot get this dialogue to go away. I really don't know what to do now.

I have a new computer running windows 11 home so I took my portable copy and installed nvda from there. All went well until I tried to use resource monitor. It didn't work, no keys worked so I figured to try this and now I am in trouble. Is there no way I can get this dialogue to go away, or I can in8install nvda somehow outside of windows? I don't want to reformat as I just got this thing set up. I can't even do a system restore as this UAC screen is taking over my system and will not go away. Help? I can't even run any diagnostics or anything. I guess I found a disadvantage to UAC. I like it but right now I am hating it as it won't go away. You would think it would but no.

Thanks.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .

For more info go to our website. . to subscribe to the feed click here

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and odysee. Thanks Restream staff.

Videos of some of our podcasts can be found on odysee

You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a 5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating system.

Jackie

Sarah check your nvda shortcut properties by pressing alt+enter on the
desktop shortcut. It should indicate it's running under admin
privileges. Delete that piece & you should be good. It's under
compatibility tab, btw.

[...]

------
Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .

For more info go to our [website.](http://listen.tffppodcast.com) . to
subscribe to the feed click [here](http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp)

Our [discord](http://tiny.cc/d-tffp) is where you will know when we go

[odysee](http://odysee.com/@tffp)

You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get
early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a
5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating
system.

I have no idea if this will help, but even when UAC comes up, you can go into the NVDA menu.  You could try telling it not to run automatically at boot up or at the login screen.  Set all automatic run settings in that ;part of the dialog to no, reboot, and see what happens.

Gene

On 7/4/2022 10:56 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

I can’t do that. There is no option in settings to start up at start up. I already looked. I even tried shutting down nvda, only to have it come up when I hit no with narrator. At least this fake runtime thing. I even force reboot it and it no and this fake runtime thing came up and is still coming up.

[...]

I would, if I could get to the desktop. But I can’t! I’m literally stuck in a loop in terms of the run time thing that keeps coming up even when I know. And I don’t have a desktop shortcut. I got rid of that thing yesterday.

Sarah check your nvda shortcut properties by pressing alt+enter on the
desktop shortcut. It should indicate it's running under admin
privileges. Delete that piece & you should be good. It's under
compatibility tab, btw.

> Hello to all. I had an ad don  which was not working so I decided to try
> and start nvda with admin privileges. Bad move. Now UAC keeps  asking
> me if I want to make change's. No matter if I hit yes, no, restart my
> system, I cannot get this dialogue to go away.  I really don't know what
> to do now.
>
> I have a new computer running windows 11 home so I took my portable copy
> and installed nvda  from there. All went well until I tried to use
> resource monitor. It didn't work, no keys worked so I figured to try
> this and now I am in trouble. Is there no way I can get this dialogue to
> go away, or I can in8install nvda somehow outside of windows? I don't
> want to reformat as I just got this thing  set up. I can't even do a
> system restore as this UAC screen is taking over my system and will not
> go away. Help? I can't even run any diagnostics or anything. I guess I
> found a disadvantage to UAC. I like it but right now I am hating it as
> it won't go away. You would think it would but no.
>
> Thanks.
>

> ------
> Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .
>
> For more info go to our [website.](http://listen.tffppodcast.com) . to
> subscribe to the feed click [here](http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp)
>

> Our [discord](http://tiny.cc/d-tffp)  is where you will know when we go
> live on youtube, twitch and odysee. Thanks Restream staff.
>
> Videos  of some of our podcasts can be found on
> [odysee](http://odysee.com/@tffp)
>

> You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get
> early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a
> 5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating
> system.

Jackie

Then check the shortcut that's running it.

________________________________
[...]

& check out my sites at
www.brightstarsweb.com<http://www.brightstarsweb.com> &
www.mysitesbeenhacked.com<http://www.mysitesbeenhacked.com>

Sarah k Alawami

I can’t. It looks like my only option is going to have to be to boot into safe mode. I literally cannot access anything beyond that dialogue!

Then check the shortcut that's running it.

> I would, if I could get to the desktop. But I can’t! I’m literally stuck in
> a loop in terms of the run time thing that keeps coming up even when I know.
> And I don’t have a desktop shortcut. I got rid of that thing yesterday.

> ________________________________

Tyler Spivey

I managed to replicate what you did.

For future reference, here's how to undo this:
1. Find nvda.exe, not the shortcut.
2. In the properties, under the Compatibility tab, uncheck Run this program as an administrator.

However, to uncheck it, you'll need access to the machine when NVDA isn't running. So you'll want to boot into safe mode.
I've heard Windows 11 will give you Narrator during boot, which is what you need.

Start here. You should be able to get to the sign-in screen by hitting windows+l at the UAC dialog.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

Get Outlook for iOS <https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef <https://aka.ms/o0ukef>>
________________________________
[...]

Can what I did actually be filed as a bug? This is a big bug in my opinion. I didn’t think that this could and would happen.

For future reference, here's how to undo this:
1. Find nvda.exe, not the shortcut.
2. In the properties, under the Compatibility tab, uncheck Run this
program as an administrator.

However, to uncheck it, you'll need access to the machine when NVDA
isn't running. So you'll want to boot into safe mode.
I've heard Windows 11 will give you Narrator during boot, which is what
you need.

Start here. You should be able to get to the sign-in screen by hitting
windows+l at the UAC dialog.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

On 7/4/2022 9:51 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
> I can’t. It looks like my only option is going to have to be to boot
> into safe mode. I literally cannot access anything beyond that dialogue!

Quentin Christensen

What was the add-on which caused the problem?  Was it certified for the version of NVDA you are using (and which version is that)?

Can what I did actually be filed as a bug? This is a big bug in my opinion. I didn’t think that this could and would happen.

For future reference, here's how to undo this:
1. Find nvda.exe, not the shortcut.
2. In the properties, under the Compatibility tab, uncheck Run this
program as an administrator.

However, to uncheck it, you'll need access to the machine when NVDA
isn't running. So you'll want to boot into safe mode.
I've heard Windows 11 will give you Narrator during boot, which is what
you need.

Start here. You should be able to get to the sign-in screen by hitting
windows+l at the UAC dialog.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

On 7/4/2022 9:51 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
> I can’t. It looks like my only option is going to have to be to boot
> into safe mode. I literally cannot access anything beyond that dialogue!

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Tyler Spivey

This has nothing to do with addons.

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> on behalf of
Tyler Spivey via groups.io <http://groups.io>
<tspivey@... <mailto:pcdesk.net@groups.io>>
*Sent:* Monday, July 4, 2022 10:08:17 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> on behalf of Jackie
> <abletec@... <mailto:abletec@...>>
> *Sent:* Monday, July 4, 2022 9:41:55 PM
> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>>
> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] I've really gotten myself into a pickle.
> Then check the shortcut that's running it.
> On 7/4/22, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@... <mailto:marrie12@...>> wrote:
>> I would, if I could get to the desktop. But I can’t! I’m literally stuck in
>> a loop in terms of the run time thing that keeps coming up even when I know.
>> And I don’t have a desktop shortcut. I got rid of that thing yesterday.
>>
>> Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef <https://aka.ms/o0ukef> <https://aka.ms/o0ukef
<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>>>
>> ________________________________

<mailto:wp4newbs-request@...> with 'subscribe' in the
Subject field OR by
>> visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
<http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs>
> <http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
<http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs>>
>> & check out my sites at
>> www.brightstarsweb.com<http://www.brightstarsweb.com> &
>> www.mysitesbeenhacked.com<http://www.mysitesbeenhacked.com>
>>

> --
<mailto:wp4newbs-request@...> with 'subscribe' in the
Subject field OR by

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager
Web: www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/ <https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/>
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/ <https://certification.nvaccess.org/>
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda <https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda>
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>

Sarah k Alawami

It was resource monitor. It worked on my old computer.  In fac now that I think about it I don’t think my add ons except my eloquence transferred properly. Btw, I’m back on my computer.  Now that I really think abou tit, none of my add ons except eloquence are working on my new computer. They are inabled, and they are all certified. I can’t I don’t think produce a list of add ons on the fly. I’m tired! If I have the energy in the morning, is there a set of steps to make sure my add ons I have are all working? Now I’m going to go to bed I feel punchy, and I have a class to take in about 12 hours.

Thank you everyone!

What was the add-on which caused the problem?  Was it certified for the version of NVDA you are using (and which version is that)?

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 4:15 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

Can what I did actually be filed as a bug? This is a big bug in my opinion. I didn’t think that this could and would happen.

For future reference, here's how to undo this:
1. Find nvda.exe, not the shortcut.
2. In the properties, under the Compatibility tab, uncheck Run this
program as an administrator.

However, to uncheck it, you'll need access to the machine when NVDA
isn't running. So you'll want to boot into safe mode.
I've heard Windows 11 will give you Narrator during boot, which is what
you need.

Start here. You should be able to get to the sign-in screen by hitting
windows+l at the UAC dialog.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

On 7/4/2022 9:51 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
> I can’t. It looks like my only option is going to have to be to boot
> into safe mode. I literally cannot access anything beyond that dialogue!

Tyler is correct. Steps to reproduce.

1. go to the exe for nvda.
2. click alt enter, or click properties.
3. check run as admin found under the compatibility tab.
4. click apply, then ok.
5. restart nvda, or at least try to.

Notice the loop you get stuck in. I'm way too tired to submit this on github, and trying to do this with a headache is probably goin to result in craziness. I'm not about to try and reproduce this in debug mode. I did salvage the log though., or, at least I salvaged a log. I hope it helps a bit. I'll give this in private just in case.

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Sent:* Monday, July 4, 2022 10:08:17 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>>
I managed to replicate what you did.

For future reference, here's how to undo this:
1. Find nvda.exe, not the shortcut.
2. In the properties, under the Compatibility tab, uncheck Run this
program as an administrator.

However, to uncheck it, you'll need access to the machine when NVDA
isn't running. So you'll want to boot into safe mode.
I've heard Windows 11 will give you Narrator during boot, which is what
you need.

Start here. You should be able to get to the sign-in screen by hitting
windows+l at the UAC dialog.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

<https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mod
e-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234>

On 7/4/2022 9:51 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
> I can’t. It looks like my only option is going to have to be to boot
> into safe mode. I literally cannot access anything beyond that dialogue!
>
> Get Outlook for iOS <https://aka.ms/o0ukef <https://aka.ms/o0ukef>>

Subject field OR by
>> visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
<http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs>
> <http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
<http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs>>
>> & check out my sites at
>> www.brightstarsweb.com<http://www.brightstarsweb.com> &
>> www.mysitesbeenhacked.com<http://www.mysitesbeenhacked.com>

> --
<mailto:wp4newbs-request@...> with 'subscribe' in the
Subject field OR by
> visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
<http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs>
> <http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
<http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs>>
> & check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com <http://www.brightstarsweb.com>
> <http://www.brightstarsweb.com <http://www.brightstarsweb.com>> &
www.mysitesbeenhacked.com <http://www.mysitesbeenhacked.com>
> <http://www.mysitesbeenhacked.com <http://www.mysitesbeenhacked.com>>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>
<https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/>
<https://certification.nvaccess.org/>
<https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda>
<http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>

Brian's Mail list account

Are you sure its a loop and not just multiple bits of the same software asking for permission? I had that even on Windows 7 which is why, and I know plenty of people disagree with this, I turned it off.
I think after about 4 allows it did work and I hastily turned the damned thing off. Windows 11, however might well have a new behaviour here.
From what I see the only way out is safe mode and a sighted person, depending on how useful Narrator is in that mode.

Might be an idea to talk to Microsoft's accessibility help line though.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Our discord<http://tiny.cc/d-tffp> is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and odysee. Thanks Restream staff.

Videos of some of our podcasts can be found on odysee<http://odysee.com/@tffp>

You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a 5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating system.

Sarah k Alawami

No, this is literally a loop. I’m not about to try to reproduce this as getting out of it was a mess! That was a very, very nasty bug. And for anyone that has User Account Control on and does this, just, don’t! Trust me! Don’t! Not sure if I said this, but thank you to everyone on the Facebook group and on here who helped me. I think I’m going to go to bed, and crash, and hope that I am coherent for class tomorrow.

Are you sure its a loop and not just multiple bits of the same software
asking for permission? I had that even on Windows 7 which is why, and I know
plenty of people disagree with this, I turned it off.
 I think after about 4 allows it did work and I hastily turned the damned
thing off. Windows 11, however might well have a new behaviour here.
From what I see the only  way out is safe mode and a sighted person,
depending on how useful Narrator is in that mode.

<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
________________________________
[...]

I just opened the shortcut properties, went to compatibility and checked "run as administrator".  When I OK'd the change and went to run NVDA, I got the UAC dialog as expected, I pressed ALT+Y to accept it, and the dialog disappeared and NVDA started as it should.

Can Tyler or someone who can repro this please send me a log or something with more information?

I'm using NVDA 2022.2beta3 installed on Windows 11 (64-bit) Version: 21H2 (2009), Build: 22000.778

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 4:54 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
[...]

Just thinking on this some more:

- Running NVDA in safe mode likely won't fix a misbehaving add-on - and may only give it more access to the PC to misbehave in.
- If you do want to run NVDA (or any other program) with administrator privileges as a once off, you can open the context menu on the shortcut and choose "Run as administrator"
- Resource Monitor at least has been updated to work with NVDA 2022.x releases, as per: https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdacompat.en.html - you may need to download the latest version.  Similarly Eloquence has also been updated and you can download it from: https://codefactoryglobal.com/app-store/voices-for-nvda/ (The wording really doesn't indicate that it is any different to the version available for the past year, but it is new, as of, not long after 2022.1 came out).
- If creating an issue, it would be worth having a good use case for why you need to run NVDA with administrator rights - I'm only thinking if you say it was to try to fix a misbehaving add-on, the conversation will probably get bogged down in how else to approach dealing with a misbehaving add-on.

Also, I am glad you got it working again.  Do go and have a good sleep now!

Quentin

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 5:15 PM Quentin Christensen via groups.io <quentin=nvaccess.org@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

This is not how you do it to trigger this bug.
You need to open nvda.exe properties, the target of the shortcut, not the shortcut.

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> on behalf of
Brian's Mail list account via groups.io <http://groups.io>
<bglists@... <mailto:blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>>
*Sent:* Monday, July 4, 2022 11:51:00 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>>
Are you sure its a loop and not just multiple bits of the same software
asking for permission? I had that even on Windows 7 which is why,
and I know
plenty of people disagree with this, I turned it off.
 I think after about 4 allows it did work and I hastily turned the
damned
thing off. Windows 11, however might well have a new behaviour here.
From what I see the only  way out is safe mode and a sighted person,
bglists@... <mailto:bglists@...>
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@... <mailto:briang1@...>, putting
'Brian Gaff'
[...]

Ah sorry missed that - yes I can repro doing it that way.  Nasty.

So I'm pretty sure the advice for this is ..... Please don't do that.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Chris Mullins

                Can you get to NVDA.Exe in Program Files X86 using fileExplorer and access the properties using alt+Enter?

Even though it  may not be regularly used it’s always useful to have the NVDA shortcut available.

Cheers

                Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows