IE Mode in MS-Edge for sites that only work with IE

What follows is not NVDA related, but given the amount of concern I'm seeing expressed about the demise of IE11 next June I consider the following to be a public service announcement.  Any in-depth discussion regarding IE Mode in Edge should occur on the Chat Subgroup.

I was concerned for users of Windows 10 Home because all of the official documentation I could find regarding IE Mode for Edge indicated it had to be enabled via Group Policy Editor, which Windows 10 Home doesn't have, and on a site by site basis.

It appears that for Windows 10 Home users (and I haven't checked on my Pro machine yet) there is an option in MS-Edge settings to allow you to turn on IE Mode in Edge.  Another tech I know posted the following, and it checks out:

If they load "edge://settings/defaultBrowser" that's bring them to the IE mode config page. On mine it's got IE mode enabled by default on pages that require it but had to toggle reload webpage on if it needs IE to on.

I had the exact same default configuration under Windows 10, Version 21H1, in Edge.  It appears to make sense to throw that toggle related to allowing reloading on if you do routinely need to access a site, or several sites, that are now IE-bound and are likely to remain so.  And I'd advise you to do it and try it out, now, as it may end up putting your minds at ease.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Dave Grossoehme

Hi:  One site that I have had problems with and others have questioned is the Library of Congress's web site.  What is being done with that web site?

Dave

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 02:44 PM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:
What is being done with that web site?
-
Dave,

What follows is not meant as a personal attack, but a wake-up call from me to you:  How would I know, or virtually anyone here know?

This is the perfect example of where going to the source, the Library of Congress, is necessary.  They may not even be aware of the issues you're currently having.  And if they're not aware of the impending death of IE, the more communications of concern regarding using their website going forward that they get the more likely that necessary change will be made.

You need to rattle their cage.  Raise the issue with the people responsible.

They have a webpage, accessible directly from the main page, that's focused on accessibility and that has the e-mail address for their ADA Coordinator listed:  https://loc.gov/accessibility/
There's also a more general Contact page:  https://loc.gov/contact/
with a Website and Applications Comments link on it.

Use both of these.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Richard Wells

I use the NLS site often using Chrome. Internet Explorer is definitely not the only browser for doing this.