Topics

Image describer addon download link is showing error

William Wong

Hi,

Can any one look into the issue.

The addon image describer on the community addon site is not accessible and showing an error.

See my message from last year:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/60898

I would contact the developer of the add-on.  If you look at the actual error message content, whether via the add-ons community link or his own website, it indicates that things are inaccessible because his bill has not been paid.  He may, or may not, be aware of this.  I'd bet on "may," but it's possible it's just something that slipped through the cracks that he'd forgotten about.

William Wong

Thanks brian.

See my message from last year:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/60898

I would contact the developer of the add-on.  If you look at the actual error message content, whether via the add-ons community link or his own website, it indicates that things are inaccessible because his bill has not been paid.  He may, or may not, be aware of this.  I'd bet on "may," but it's possible it's just something that slipped through the cracks that he'd forgotten about.

By the way, I e-mailed the developer not too long after posting my reply.  It's been dead silence.  My presumption is that the project has been abandoned.  If I get a very late reply indicating otherwise I'll follow-up.

William Wong

I think if it is the case, the addon should not be displayed on the main page of the community addon site.

Brian Vogel 於 13/6/2020 22:57 寫道:

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 04:50 AM, William Wong wrote:
I think if it is the case, the addon should not be displayed on the main page of the community addon site.

I doubt that anyone would disagree.  But you appear to be the first person to have hit the issue, and I'm giving a few days more before giving up entirely.

It will likely be removed on request if the developer will not respond to communications sent to him.

Hello all,

The NVDA add-ons community is investigating two possible follow-ups:

  1. Asking the author of Image Describer add-on about his response.
  2. Promoting a potential replacement named Online Image Describer by Larry Wang.

Because the latter is essentially Image Describer add-on with improvements made, the community will remove original Image Describer provided that the author says so and the community cannot maintain it due to costs for upkeep and other matters beyond our control. As of now, until the matter is fully resolved, I request everyone to disable Image Describer add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph (P.S. I'm in vacation, so won't be able to respond to emails on this list in a timely manner)