IMPORTANT NOTICE on Joseph Lee's add-ons and Windows 7 and 8.x: preparing to say goodbye in 2022

Hello everyone,

The following is a compatibility notice about Joseph Lee’s add-ons and support for Windows 7 and 8.x as a follow-up to the linked NV Access statement on NVDA and Windows 7:

nvda@nvda.groups.io | NVDA support for Windows 7

Before reading this, it is important to understand that what I say below is strictly a policy from an add-on author and does not represent the views of the add-ons community. Other add-on authors may have their own thoughts about Windows 7, so please ask them.

NVDA add-on compatibility on Windows 7 and 8.x:

Affected add-ons: Add-on Updater, Enhanced Touch Gestures, GoldWave, Resource Monitor, StationPlaylist, Windows App Essentials

As consumer support for Windows 7 is no more and extended support for Windows 8.1 is ending in January 2023, I (Joseph Lee) hereby announce that most of my add-ons will end support for Windows 7 (and 8.x) in 2022. Unless your Windows 7 computer is part of a business that receives extended security updates (ESU’s) from Microsoft, please upgrade to a supported Windows release as soon as possible (preferably to Windows 10, or if the system is supported, Windows 11). This change will take effect in mid-2022 (between NVDA 2022.1 and 2022.2 releases), and I will provide a 60-day notice before releasing versions of add-ons requiring at least Windows 8.1, or if warranted, Windows 10 and later.

Exceptions:

  • Add-on Updater: the life of this add-on is tied to a proposal to let NVDA itself check for add-on updates. Shortly after the release of an NVDA version that supports updating add-ons without use of Add-on Updater, this add-on will be discontinued. Therefore as long as NVDA supports Windows 7 and provided that add-on updating isn’t part of NVDA, Add-on Updater will support Windows 7 and 8.x.
  • Enhanced Touch Gestures: this add-on does not support Windows 7, but this add-on, too will end support for Windows 8.1 in 2023.
  • Windows App Essentials: you must be running supported Windows 10 or 11 feature updates to use this add-on.

As for NVDA itself and Windows 7, see the NV Access statement linked above.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Joseph