Topics

In-Process 29th November

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

Firstly, Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends!

We've got a big In-Process for you this week:  https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-29th-november/

It's choc-full of Information about NVDA 2019.3, a wrap-up of NVDACon, the #NoMouse challenge, and an in-depth look at how to advocate for software & web accessibility!

Enjoy :)

Kind regards

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

hi quentin.
thanks so much for your great in process.
i wonder, why developers of softwaresdont make programs accessible for
all people?
does accessibility need really furthere steps and a lot of times?
or, the programmers think that there is noone who use keyboard!
i heard even some sighted users, use keyboard instead of mouse.
can you send a link for me which explains the process for making
accessible softwares?
God bless you and His infinite mercy i pray for you!

Hi everyone,

Firstly, Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends!

We've got a big In-Process for you this week:
https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-29th-november/

It's choc-full of Information about NVDA 2019.3, a wrap-up of NVDACon, the
#NoMouse challenge, and an in-depth look at how to advocate for software &
web accessibility!

Enjoy :)

Kind regards

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Quentin Christensen

Hi Zahra,

Good question.  Most of the time it comes back to developers not knowing about accessibility, what is required, or how to test for it.  Ideally, developers should be taught how to make accessible software (& web sites) when learning to create in the first place.  Unfortunately it's not included in most courses.  Unless a developer has a personal connection with someone who needs accessible content, they might never consider it.  For that reason, we recommend not usually going in "all guns blazing" and instead explaining the problem and what you need.  If you do that and a large software company comes back and says "We know it's not accessible, and we don't care", then, by all means, let rip at them, sue them, encourage people to boycott them, etc.  If it's something designed by someone on their own in their free time, they may have difficulty rebuilding it - it is definitely easier to make something accessible from the outset than to have to fix it later.

Sometimes, a developer will make something which fits how they work, so if they rely heavily on the mouse, they might not consider keyboard shortcuts.  Or if they add keyboard shortcuts, they might not realise the difficulty that many users have in executing three or four key combinations.

Standards such as WCAG exist to prompt developers to ensure they consider things like contrast, text size and navigation.  In terms of steps to make software accessible - the exact procedure will vary depending on the development environment and language being used etc.  So standards and pointers of things to be aware of like WCAG and like the #NoMouse challenge I mentioned in In-Process are good places to start.

Kind regards

Quentin.