Information that's essential when asking about suspected NVDA issues . . .

Note well, this really does apply primarily to when you have identified what you suspect is an issue with NVDA itself.  The information necessary for other types questions will not be this extensive.

When asking any question, and using your own discretion about which of the following are actually necessary in regard to your question, please include the following:

1.       The Windows version you are using.  This can be obtained by hitting the Windows Key, immediately typing winver, then hitting Enter.  In the case of Windows 10 please include not only the actual version number, but also the build and build dot number, e.g., Windows 10 Home Version 20H2, Build 19042.867.

2.       The NVDA version you are using.

3.       The version of the software you’re running NVDA over to access, e.g., Outlook 2016 or Word 365.  If it’s a Pro edition or an Educational edition or similar please mention that, too.

4.       The NVDA add-ons you are using at the time the issue occurs.  For most people that will be all of the add-ons you can find in Add-Ons manager (NVDA+N,T,A followed by Enter).  If you have certain add-ons present, but disabled, it’s worth noting that as well.

Before asking any question regarding a suspected bug with NVDA itself, where its behavior has changed compared to usual, please also have done The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA IssuesYou’re virtually certain to be asked to do these by any potential assistant, so if you can report about what you’ve found at the outset that will speed up getting a resolution.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I opened Winver through the search box, and there doesn’t seem to be a version type such as “Home” or “Pro”.  Is it possible I’m looking in the wrong place in the dialog?  The only information I found was “Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867)”.  I know it’s windows 10, but it just says “Microsoft Windows”.  I use a combination of NVDA with the virtual review add-on and the JAWS “Virtualize current window” command, so it’s easier to copy information like that from dialogs.

Louise

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

When you type in winver into the search box then a result comes up for it it will read it out.

To get to the info because you can not get to it with arrow keys. on my desk top use the nvda key +7 on the numeric keypad  to put it into screen review. Use the number 7 on the numeric keypad to go up a line and 9 to go down a line.

Once you are on the very top line go to the very first letter on the first line the number one on the numeric keypad will do this. You can then use the nvda key + f9 key to start a mark then use 9 on the numeric keypad to read the lines down the page to you got it all then the number 3 on the numeric keypad move that to the last of the information you want to copy then use the nvda key + f10 key twice to copy the info then paste it into a email.

The sections in the user manual is 5.5 for reviewing text and the one below it says the modes.

Gene nz

On 26/03/2021 8:38 am, Louise Pfau wrote:
Hi.  I opened Winver through the search box, and there doesn’t seem to be a version type such as “Home” or “Pro”.  Is it possible I’m looking in the wrong place in the dialog?  The only information I found was “Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867)”.  I know it’s windows 10, but it just says “Microsoft Windows”.  I use a combination of NVDA with the virtual review add-on and the JAWS “Virtualize current window” command, so it’s easier to copy information like that from dialogs.

Louise

Gene

Are you just letting the whole statement read? I don't know about Windows 10. If I just let everything read, after the version information is spoken, a copyright notice is spoken. It begins by saying something about Windows 7 Home is protected by, etc.

[...]

         It's precisely the same (or else very, very similar) for the output of winver regardless of the version of Windows.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Louise,

         The Home versus Pro (or any other edition) information is read right after the copyright line.  In the case of my machine, after the copyright line is read, the next line starts with, "The Windows 10 Pro operating system . . ."

          After you hear that part, there is nothing after it that would be of any value as far as doing diagnostics for a given machine/issue.  The big three are version, build, and edition.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Jewel Ardoin

Thanks!

I told Pam and she said that she will call them. So, you may want to let her know as well.

Thanks!

Jewel

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 05:51 PM, Jewel Ardoin wrote:
I told Pam and she said that she will call them. So, you may want to let her know as well.
-
Jewel,

I don't know if this was accidentally sent to the group with the intention of going to someone privately, CCed to the group, or what.  I just wanted to let you know that I have no idea who Pam happens to be.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Jewel Ardoin

Sorry, wrong email. Smile!

I told Pam and she said that she will call them. So, you may want to let her know as well.

Thanks!

Jewel

Louise Pfau

Hi.  It looks like I’m using “Pro” then.  I wasn’t sure where to look in the dialog, because it wasn’t with the version number.

Thanks,

Louise

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 02:14 PM, Louise Pfau wrote:
I wasn’t sure where to look in the dialog, because it wasn’t with the version number.
-
Requests for clarifications are welcome!

Microsoft, if they'd had a lick of common sense about this, should have composed the Version line with the edition noted immediately after "Windows 10."  But, alas, no.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Louise Pfau

I don’t think that the dialog says the overall windows version (such as 7 or 10), but it does say the build number as the version number (such as Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867)).

Louise

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 04:04 PM, Louise Pfau wrote:
I don’t think that the dialog says the overall windows version
-
It does, but in pieces, at least for Windows 10.  The initial line says just Windows, but the line we were discussing before, that comes after the copyright line, says, "Windows 10," followed by the edition.

Like I said previously, if Microsoft had a lick of sense the initial announcement would say "Windows 10 Pro, Version {version}, Build {build}," and, ideally and even though it's very seldom anything but 64-bit, I'd have it say either 32-bit or 64-bit after the previously mentioned information.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Louise Pfau

Your suggestion about the way they should’ve structured the dialog makes sense.  Would it do any good to offer it as feedback, given that the dialog has been structured the same way for years?  I eventually did find the overall Windows version information in the copyright section, which doesn’t seem logical to me.

Louise

Sarah k Alawami

Actually, to be even more of a nit pick it should be thus in the winver dialogue.

Windows [insert type] [insert version] [insert build] [inserted updated when] [insert copyright date]