Initial Speech Cutoff Using Bluetooth Headphones and NVDA

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I am currently using NVDA 2021.2 with the Bluetooth Audio add-on
installed and enabled on a Windows 10 machine. With it, I am using a
pair of Bluetooth headphones with my laptop, both of which are
Bluetooth 5.0 compatible. Still, from time to time, especially when I
am reading short stringgs like an alphabet or a monosyllable, the
initial bit of the speech is cut off. Are there any ways to minimize
the cutoff or fix it entirely? Please let me know.

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024

udit pandey

hi  Bhavya,
there is some amount of loss in speech with nvda when using bluetooth headphones as far as I know there is no fix for it

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 at 23:11, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:
Dear all,

I am currently using NVDA 2021.2 with the Bluetooth Audio add-on
installed and enabled on a Windows 10 machine. With it, I am using a
pair of Bluetooth headphones with my laptop, both of which are
Bluetooth 5.0 compatible. Still, from time to time, especially when I
am reading short stringgs like an alphabet or a monosyllable, the
initial bit of the speech is cut off. Are there any ways to minimize
the cutoff or fix it entirely? Please let me know.

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024

hope that you all are safe with your family,
 udit
follow me on instagram: udit@pandey123
mail me on gmail at udit52805@...
or outlook me at uditpandey6474@outlook
we should not never speak bad, we should never see bad, and we should never lisson bad

tim

No problems using boes, skull candy headphones or my samsung live buds.

On 10/22/2021 1:48 PM, udit pandey wrote:
[...]

Gene

I would think that Silenzio might work.  I believe I read about an NVDA add-on that deals with this problem as well.

Sent: Friday, October 22, 2021 12:48 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Initial Speech Cutoff Using Bluetooth Headphones and NVDA

[...]

Shawn

I have the AdOn, and I have the same problem anyway. I tend to play something low in Winamp to fix it, but I don’t use my Bluetooth headset much except for listening to Youtube and podcasts  while I’m doing dishes so I haven’t worried about it much. Guess I’ll try silenzio.

Shawn Klein

Sent from Mail for Windows

I would think that Silenzio might work.  I believe I read about an NVDA add-on that deals with this problem as well.

Sent: Friday, October 22, 2021 12:48 PM

[...]

Jim Pemberton

I’ve been using the White Noise add-on with NVDA, to hear the audio through my C-Crane radio, and have had no issues with loss of speech ever since.

Sent: Friday, October 22, 2021 12:48 PM

[...]

Luke Robinett

Yes. I continue to have that same problem with my AirPods despite installing the NVDA Bluetooth plug-in. It seems to have had no effect whatsoever. I’ve given up on this set up and just use a pair of wired headphones now. It’s unfortunate that such a simple thing can’t be made reliable but it is what it is, I guess.

On Oct 22, 2021, at 10:41 AM, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all,

I am currently using NVDA 2021.2 with the Bluetooth Audio add-on
installed and enabled on a Windows 10 machine. With it, I am using a
pair of Bluetooth headphones with my laptop, both of which are
Bluetooth 5.0 compatible. Still, from time to time, especially when I
am reading short stringgs like an alphabet or a monosyllable, the
initial bit of the speech is cut off. Are there any ways to minimize
the cutoff or fix it entirely? Please let me know.

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024

Try Silenzio.  I don’t know how the plugin works you tried.  Silenzio sends inaudible sound through the system to keep the audio from going to sleep.

Sent: Friday, October 22, 2021 3:45 PM

Yes. I continue to have that same problem with my AirPods despite installing the NVDA Bluetooth plug-in. It seems to have had no effect whatsoever. I’ve given up on this set up and just use a pair of wired headphones now. It’s unfortunate that such a simple thing can’t be made reliable but it is what it is, I guess.

> On Oct 22, 2021, at 10:41 AM, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am currently using NVDA 2021.2 with the Bluetooth Audio add-on
> installed and enabled on a Windows 10 machine. With it, I am using a
> pair of Bluetooth headphones with my laptop, both of which are
> Bluetooth 5.0 compatible. Still, from time to time, especially when I
> am reading short stringgs like an alphabet or a monosyllable, the
> initial bit of the speech is cut off. Are there any ways to minimize
> the cutoff or fix it entirely? Please let me know.
>
> Best Regards,
> Bhavya Shah
> Stanford University | Class of 2024
> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhavyashah125/

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

* It seems like some other users share my experience of the Bluetooth
Audio add-on being ineffectual. Is the add-ons community aware of this
issue?
* I did find White Noise on nvda-addons.org. Is this a generally
reliable add-on repository, and in particular, is this add-on known to
be safe? I have not heard of it before so am hoping to make sure.
* I had to look around a little bit, but for reference, the Silenzio
program seems to be available from
http://www.stefankiss.sk/programy/silenzio/Silenzio_1.0_setup.exe. I
have not downloaded it myself so cannout personally vouch for it yet.
* I skimmed through the GitHub tracker, and based on a perfunctory
scan of #5172, #10829, and #11024, it seems like this is regarded as a
solved problem, which I don't think is my experience and that of some
other participants in this thread.

Thanks.

wrote:

Dear all,

I am currently using NVDA 2021.2 with the Bluetooth Audio add-on
installed and enabled on a Windows 10 machine. With it, I am using a
pair of Bluetooth headphones with my laptop, both of which are
Bluetooth 5.0 compatible. Still, from time to time, especially when I
am reading short stringgs like an alphabet or a monosyllable, the
initial bit of the speech is cut off. Are there any ways to minimize
the cutoff or fix it entirely? Please let me know.

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024

tim

That is because some think that work arounds are solutions to problems. So the real problem never gets fixed and when asked why not? Answer you got a work around that works.

wrote:

Dear all,

I am currently using NVDA 2021.2 with the Bluetooth Audio add-on
installed and enabled on a Windows 10 machine. With it, I am using a
pair of Bluetooth headphones with my laptop, both of which are
Bluetooth 5.0 compatible. Still, from time to time, especially when I
am reading short stringgs like an alphabet or a monosyllable, the
initial bit of the speech is cut off. Are there any ways to minimize
the cutoff or fix it entirely? Please let me know.

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024

That isn’t the newest version of Silenzio.  You can download the newest version here:

This is a direct download link and I don’t know if Silenzio, once installed, has information files.

You can see a little discussion of it on this page:

Search for Silenzio from the top of the page to see the discussion about Silenzio.  If you are curious, you may want to read the Jonathan Mosen entry about the problem on the page I linked to immediately above.

That is because some think that work arounds are solutions to problems.
So the real problem never gets fixed and when asked why not? Answer you
got a work around that works.

On 10/24/2021 5:19 AM, Bhavya shah wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> * It seems like some other users share my  experience of the Bluetooth
> Audio add-on being ineffectual. Is the add-ons community aware of this
> issue?
> * I did find White Noise on nvda-addons.org. Is this a generally
> reliable add-on repository, and in particular, is this add-on known to
> be safe? I have not heard of it before so am hoping to make sure.
> * I had to look around a little bit, but for reference, the Silenzio
> program seems to be available from
> http://www.stefankiss.sk/programy/silenzio/Silenzio_1.0_setup.exe. I
> have not downloaded it myself so cannout personally vouch for it yet.
> * I skimmed through the GitHub tracker, and based on a perfunctory
> scan of #5172, #10829, and #11024, it seems like this is regarded as a
> solved problem, which I don't think is my experience and that of some
> other participants in this thread.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On 10/22/21, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
>> Try Silenzio.  I don’t know how the plugin works you tried.  Silenzio sends
>> inaudible sound through the system to keep the audio from going to sleep.
>>
>> Gene

I had not known about white noise, I had Bluetooth Audio. I installed white noise and it took about 30 seconds to kick in once I switched to my Bluetooth headset, but it seems to be consistent afterwards. I let it sit for a couple minutes and my first key press wasn’t cut off.

Shawn Klein

Sent from Mail for Windows

>>> wrote:

>>> Dear all,

>>> I am currently using NVDA 2021.2 with the Bluetooth Audio add-on

>>> installed and enabled on a Windows 10 machine. With it, I am using a

>>> pair of Bluetooth headphones with my laptop, both of which are

>>> Bluetooth 5.0 compatible. Still, from time to time, especially when I

>>> am reading short stringgs like an alphabet or a monosyllable, the

>>> initial bit of the speech is cut off. Are there any ways to minimize

>>> the cutoff or fix it entirely? Please let me know.

>>> Best Regards,

>>> Bhavya Shah

>>> Stanford University | Class of 2024

>>> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhavyashah125/

Mohib Anwar Rafay

I have a music track of more than 2 hours duration, I play it in vlc
media player and put its volume at lowest level. I can peacefully work
with my various headsets on my laptop.

wrote:

Dear all,

I am currently using NVDA 2021.2 with the Bluetooth Audio add-on
installed and enabled on a Windows 10 machine. With it, I am using a
pair of Bluetooth headphones with my laptop, both of which are
Bluetooth 5.0 compatible. Still, from time to time, especially when I
am reading short stringgs like an alphabet or a monosyllable, the
initial bit of the speech is cut off. Are there any ways to minimize
the cutoff or fix it entirely? Please let me know.

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024

Mohib Anwar Rafay

Phone: +919 555 555 765

Jim Pemberton

Glad to hear that White Noise worked for you Sean.  I just stumbled on that one by accident, and it has worked perfectly for me each and every time.

>>> wrote:

>>> Dear all,

>>> I am currently using NVDA 2021.2 with the Bluetooth Audio add-on

>>> installed and enabled on a Windows 10 machine. With it, I am using a

>>> pair of Bluetooth headphones with my laptop, both of which are

>>> Bluetooth 5.0 compatible. Still, from time to time, especially when I

>>> am reading short stringgs like an alphabet or a monosyllable, the

>>> initial bit of the speech is cut off. Are there any ways to minimize

>>> the cutoff or fix it entirely? Please let me know.

>>> Best Regards,

>>> Bhavya Shah

>>> Stanford University | Class of 2024

>>> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhavyashah125/

mattias

But what should the differense between this addon and Bluetooth audio?

They do the same thing

Skickades från E-post för Windows

On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 08:50 AM, tim wrote:
That is because some think that work arounds are solutions to problems.
-
That's because in many cases they are exactly that:  solutions.

They're just implemented in a way (or ways) that are less than ideal.

And the issue with Bluetooth audio isn't a bug, per se, it's how the power saving feature is supposed to work.  It's a side effect of waking up a sleeping device.  Regardless of how you do it, the only way to fix it is to make sure the device does not sleep.  Take your pick of what way you wish to make that happen, as there are several.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 02:41 PM, Mohib Anwar Rafay wrote:
I have a music track of more than 2 hours duration, I play it in vlc media player and put its volume at lowest level.
-
Which is precisely the same concept as the Silenzio program and the Bluetooth Add-On for NVDA.  You're feeding a constant audio output stream so that Bluetooth never has the opportunity to go to sleep.

All of these things work by preventing Bluetooth Audio devices from going to sleep when no audio is being played, and they do so by continuously playing audio of one sort or another.  The difference between your solution and the others is they are on "endless loop" and are supposed to play "silence" as their sound.

         ~ John F. Kennedy