Initial Windows 11 experience with NVDA

Bob Jutzi

I finally ended up diving into Windows 11; so far, NVDA seems to work quite well.  However, there's an additional list of icons before the start button, System Network State, System Volume State, System Clock, and Notifications; however, only each icon's current state is sspoken by NVDA.  Enter or double-mouse clicking does nothing.  Other than going into Settings, is there any way to change these controls or is this something for the next release as this is the first Windows 11 beta after all?

Bob Jutzi

Now this is a cool Windows 11 feature.  After doing a search, I found the affore mentioned settings are called Quick Settings which can be accessed using Windows-A.  You can either tab to a setting such as Volume and Enter to change, or edit and add Quick settings.

So far, NVDA handles this with no issue.

On 7/6/2021 5:10 PM, bob jutzi wrote:

I finally ended up diving into Windows 11; so far, NVDA seems to work quite well.  However, there's an additional list of icons before the start button, System Network State, System Volume State, System Clock, and Notifications; however, only each icon's current state is sspoken by NVDA.  Enter or double-mouse clicking does nothing.  Other than going into Settings, is there any way to change these controls or is this something for the next release as this is the first Windows 11 beta after all?

Bob,

          Your post is triggering this message, but it is in no way aimed only at you:  Windows 11 and NVDA are not synonymous.  Windows 10 and NVDA are not synonymous.

           Discussions of what one may be finding with regard to Windows 11 really belongs on the Chat Subgroup.  I have been trying, for quite some time, to make the membership think about whether what they're discussing is NVDA, versus Windows, versus a given application program when it comes to shortcuts, settings, etc.  These things are different, completely different.   Windows and applications program shortcuts and settings are entirely screen-reader agnostic.  They are the same whether you're using NVDA or JAWS or Narrator.

            There is also a dedicated Groups.io Group, currently known as Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users, which is soon to undergo a name change, that is dedicated to all the post Windows 8.1 versions under current support.  That, or the Chat Subgroup, is where findings regarding the latest Windows operating system should be discussed at length.

             Given that Windows was developed as the intended 21H2 release to Windows 10, and rebranded by Microsoft very, very late in the game, it's unlikely that there will be any huge changes from an accessibility standpoint.

              Even discussions about new features and settings of Windows 11 is almost certain to be screen-reader agnostic.  The tweaks will be done with new Windows keyboard shortcuts.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Hi,

Hopefully to clarify more than one question (because I do see this on the mentioned Win10 Forum, which is undergoing a name change process at the moment):

I can assure you all that screen reader vendors and Microsoft are aware of user interface oddities. For example, there are UI label issues affecting major screen readers (Narrator included), details of which require explanation of the toolkit used to code UI elements (beyond the scope of this list, I'm afraid). I have published workarounds for NVDA users in the form of Windows App Essentials add-on development builds, but there are other issues to be discovered. Given prevalence of UI issues with current Windows 11 Insider Preview builds (namely how data is exposed to screen readers), I have advised Windows UI team to resolve issues as soon as possible.

My advice for Windows 11 discussion: follow Brian's advice. I will do everything I can to make sure screen reader users navigating Windows 11 are not forgotten and treated with respect, provided that I won't collapse due to a combination of graduate school prep anxiety and nightly debugging and debate sessions with Windows Insiders and Microsoft people. I can assure you that NVDA users will receive workarounds through Windows App Essentials add-on in the foreseeable future (this is one of those moments where I might just beg Microsoft to pay for graduate school or give grants to NV Access, but I feel that's too much; that's my feeling regarding current state of UI issues with Windows 11 preview, but I remain hopeful that things can be resolved by end of this year). Also, I said it before but I'm putting in all caps: SUPPORT FOR Windows 11 FROM NVDA IS EXPERIMENTAL AND THINGS CAN CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE, DO NOT USE Windows 11 PREVIEW RELEASE WITHOUT KEEPING BUGS IN MIND!

P.S. I know that folks rarely see me write the above in all caps, but please, please, please, remember the above warning.

Cheers,

Joseph

g melconian <gmelconian619@...>

Thanks for all you do joseph.