Topics

Inserting Latency in NVDA Speech and Bluetooth Audio

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

This may come off as an odd request, but I do need it to simulate a
certain scenario. I would like to have NVDA's speech - with the same
voice settings and my same ESpeak-NG - be outputted but with a delay
of 150 ms. Latency is generally frowned upon, yes, but I would like to
artificially manufacture it at present. Is there some way of doing
this?

For context, I am aware that standard Bluetooth audio (sans low
latency audio codecs) typically have an associated latency of 150-250
ms. Since I do not have the required equipment to test that
practically, I want to emulate that latency with NVDA on my laptop
speakers so as to get a sense of how much a couple hundred
milliseconds of delay is likely to affect me in the real world.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Tony Malykh

Here is a quick hack. Open NVDA python console and type:

import time
originalSpeechSpeak = speech.speak
def preSpeak(speechSequence, symbolLevel=None, *args, **kwargs):
    time.sleep(0.5)
    return originalSpeechSpeak(speechSequence, symbolLevel, *args, **kwargs)
speech.speak = preSpeak

You'd need to restart your NVDA for the delay to go away.

HTH

--Tony

On 12/2/2020 6:28 PM, Bhavya shah wrote:
Dear all,

This may come off as an odd request, but I do need it to simulate a
certain scenario. I would like to have NVDA's speech - with the same
voice settings and my same ESpeak-NG - be outputted but with a delay
of 150 ms. Latency is generally frowned upon, yes, but I would like to
artificially manufacture it at present. Is there some way of doing
this?

For context, I am aware that standard Bluetooth audio (sans low
latency audio codecs) typically have an associated latency of 150-250
ms. Since I do not have the required equipment to test that
practically, I want to emulate that latency with NVDA on my laptop
speakers so as to get a sense of how much a couple hundred
milliseconds of delay is likely to affect me in the real world.

Thanks.

Tony Malykh

On the other hand, if you are looking into switching to bluetooth headphones, I would strongly recommend to look into APTX LL bluetooth codec - it works with only 30ms latency - not noticeable by human ear. You'd need to buy a transmitter that supports it and headphones that support it. I have been using this configuration for years and it is well worth it. If you're interested - ping me offline - I think admins here don't like topics not related to NVDA.

[...]

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

Actually, I find this topic quite valuable, and definitely see how it relates to NVDA. What I don't like, as an admin, is the fact that other mailing lists were carbon-copied on this message, and would ask that this not continue. While bluetooth headphones in themselves don't seem relevant, asking for opinions on a decent one which will work with low-latency with NVDA seems to fit the purpose of the list just fine.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Tony Malykh

So regarding running the list, do you expect us to ask every time regarding the grey area topics? because the rules for this list state explicitly:

> 6.  Any topic that is not about using NVDA to accomplish a task, or how to control NVDA, belongs in the chat subgroup, not the main group.  All questions about how to use the specific features of a program that you’re using NVDA to access, but not about NVDA itself, belong in the chat subgroup.

So in my mind the topic of bluetooth headphones falls into that group. Or we can just try to talk about that and you can ban the thread if you don't like it?