install an addon for all users

Mohammed Al Shara

Hi.

Is there a way currently to install an addon and make it available for all users of a pc? This would be very useful for pcs connected to a domain where each user logs on to the pc using her credentials. If not, is there an issue open for this feature request?

Thanks
Mohammed.

I have removed all of the hashtags from this message, as they were clearly placed there without the intent to do so and have no connection to the question being asked.  Please reply using this message so that the cluster of hashtags does not keep reappearing.

I wish I could answer the actual question about whether there's a way to install an add-on such that it's available to all users of a PC, but I can't.

         ~ Vance Packard

Hmmm each user uses an installed nvda with all their profiles etc.

I guess if every user had the same configuration you could create a portable and just run it like that.

The only other way would to have a batch file with something like the following.

@echo off

x:\nvda installer

x:\addon1.nvda-addon, etc

Of course chaining things together would depend on nvda being installed, etc.

It would also depend on using 1 drive and or 1 network location for the installs.

I am unsure if there is a packager to package addons say your entire configuration or all addons in 1 for various users.

So then you only would have to run 1 or 2 files at the most.

However that would assume you didn't use any payed for anything.

I mean I guess you could technically have payed for stuff via your company with site licence for all your boxes but there would still be some input.

The way I have it setup on my systems I use, is install everything on each system and manually configure it.

Thats fine for 3 boxes but annoying as all hell if you had to do them like that from unit to unit.

I guess technically you could do it remotely overnight but who knows.

I guess you could just have a portable with everything set.

The user would then go to drive x and run the portable.

You can install nvda and transfer configs I think either way either to and from portable so technically that would probably work.

On 30/11/2021 4:23 am, Mohammed Al Shara wrote:
Hi.

Is there a way currently to install an addon and make it available for all users of a pc? This would be very useful for pcs connected to a domain where each user logs on to the pc using her credentials. If not, is there an issue open for this feature request?

Thanks
Mohammed.

Well look at my previous message.

Since I put this in the message before reading this one, you could run a portable and transfer things over that way or manually setup.

But nvda never had a network install.

This would be a question for quenton if he is about.

I mean maybe he will be about during the day to answer it.

As far as I know you can't natively install and configure nvda on a server and anyway everyone doesn't have the same config so you couldn't run a standardised configuration.

I am unsure if you can export application profiles and what addons go with with but if you could do that which you can't currently then you could create a profile for a single app thhat way orr maybe the entire load but as I said quentin probably can answer this.

On 30/11/2021 4:32 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
I have removed all of the hashtags from this message, as they were clearly placed there without the intent to do so and have no connection to the question being asked.  Please reply using this message so that the cluster of hashtags does not keep reappearing.

I wish I could answer the actual question about whether there's a way to install an add-on such that it's available to all users of a PC, but I can't.

         ~ Vance Packard

Mohammed Al Shara

Hi. Using a portable copy means also living with the limitations of running portable NVDA, specially that NVDA needs to be run manually by each user who needs it. Lets see if @Quentin would give his 2 cents on this.

Yeah, each user would have to run the portable nvda first, then get permition to install it on their systems.

The only way I guess you could set that, would to have each user get admin rights on their account for that day you were installing them, set it up for one time, then once installing nvda was done allow nvda to install and run its own addons or simply allow nvda to always have admin permitions anywhere it runs.

But yeah not sure.

The only other way would everyone to have nvda that needed it then have the configuration set up and a user could import it but every user would have a slightly different configuration.

The only other way would to have nvda installed on all systems with a standard configuration but everyone would have to customise it.

However unless you could import one well not sure.