Topics

Installation issues

Jim L

Hiya folks,

Have had an afternoon I’d rather forget trying to update NVDA to its latest version 2020.2

I tried updating within the program and also download the full installation file and both fail each time it tries to go to installing it.

I’ve also uninstalled it and tried it that way still no luck then I could not install an earlier version to I got hold of version 2016.3 then it installed and I could only go up to 2019 and then same issues happened again.

Is anyone else having this issue? Am running a windows 7, 64bit PC.

Regards,

Jim

Socheat Muth

Hi,

Make sure you have Windows 7 service pack 1 installed on your system. I'm not sure how NVDA works on Windows 7 now, as I'm using Windows 10 myself.

On 10/6/2020 9:26 AM, Jim L wrote:

Hiya folks,

Have had an afternoon I’d rather forget trying to update NVDA to its latest version 2020.2

I tried updating within the program and also download the full installation file and both fail each time it tries to go to installing it.

I’ve also uninstalled it and tried it that way still no luck then I could not install an earlier version to I got hold of version 2016.3 then it installed and I could only go up to 2019 and then same issues happened again.

Regards,

Jim

Jim L

Yes, have all the service packs, I’ve always been able to update so I really don’t know why I can’t now.

Cheers,

Jim

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Socheat Muth
Sent: Tuesday, 6 October 2020 10:54 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Installation issues

Hi,

Make sure you have Windows 7 service pack 1 installed on your system. I'm not sure how NVDA works on Windows 7 now, as I'm using Windows 10 myself.

Hiya folks,

Regards,

Jim

Hi,

The key question is, which version of NVDA was Jim using prior to trying to update to 2020.2? The answer to that will explain some things, but not others, including user settings, add-ons, and what not.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Socheat Muth
Sent: Monday, October 5, 2020 7:54 PM

Hi,

Hiya folks,

Regards,

Jim

Jim L

I don’t know but am stuck on 2019.2 and cannot update from this version in either update or full installation.

Cheers,

Jim

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Tuesday, 6 October 2020 11:02 AM

Hi,

The key question is, which version of NVDA was Jim using prior to trying to update to 2020.2? The answer to that will explain some things, but not others, including user settings, add-ons, and what not.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Hiya folks,

Regards,

Jim

Hi,

Assuming that you have latest Windows 7 updates (dated January 14, 2020) installed, I think it might be something to do with your NVDA settings or add-ons. Do you have add-ons installed, and when you do try to install 2020.2, do you hear the startup music and NVDA afterwards?

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim L
Sent: Monday, October 5, 2020 8:18 PM

I don’t know but am stuck on 2019.2 and cannot update from this version in either update or full installation.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Hiya folks,

Regards,

Jim

Jim L

I have no add ons, latest updates from January and I hear the music then closing NVDA and installation stops always here.

Sent: Tuesday, 6 October 2020 11:26 AM

Hi,

Assuming that you have latest Windows 7 updates (dated January 14, 2020) installed, I think it might be something to do with your NVDA settings or add-ons. Do you have add-ons installed, and when you do try to install 2020.2, do you hear the startup music and NVDA afterwards?

Cheers,

Joseph

Cheers,

Jim

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Hiya folks,

Regards,

Jim

Hi,

I see. Short of asking you to upgrade to Windows 10, can you try installing NVDA 2019.3 if you can find it?

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Monday, October 5, 2020 8:57 PM

I have no add ons, latest updates from January and I hear the music then closing NVDA and installation stops always here.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Cheers,

Jim

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Hiya folks,

Regards,

Jim

Jim L

I just tried that sadly no luck:(

Sent: Tuesday, 6 October 2020 12:12 PM

Hi,

I see. Short of asking you to upgrade to Windows 10, can you try installing NVDA 2019.3 if you can find it?

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Cheers,

Jim

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Hiya folks,

Regards,

Jim

Hi,

Okay, can you try the following:

1. Run Narrator (press Windows+U to open Ease of Access, then select Narrator).
  2. Run NVDA 2020.2 installer.
  3. After the music is heard, see if Narrator announces things related to NVDA.

If yes, it might be something with your NVDA settings. If not, the installer may have become stuck somewhere.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Monday, October 5, 2020 9:25 PM

I just tried that sadly no luck:(

Sent: Tuesday, 6 October 2020 12:12 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Cheers,

Jim

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Hiya folks,

Regards,

Jim

Arlene

Hi, I’m not sure if the latest version of NVDA will work on windows seven.  I don’t see why it wouldn’t.  It probably will if you have the proper updates that windows seven has.  The last time I used it. I was using NVDA version 19 01  but my 7 box bit the dust and I had to upgrade to win ten. 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: October 5, 2020 7:57 PM

Hi,

Hiya folks,

Regards,

Jim

Annette Moore

You are saying yes to that user account control thing that comes up when you update or install a program, right? You have to answer yes pretty quickly or the installation won't go through I don't think.

Annette

On 10/6/2020 12:34 AM, Arlene wrote:

Hi, I’m not sure if the latest version of NVDA will work on windows seven.  I don’t see why it wouldn’t.  It probably will if you have the proper updates that windows seven has.  The last time I used it. I was using NVDA version 19 01  but my 7 box bit the dust and I had to upgrade to win ten. 

Hi,

Hiya folks,

Regards,

Jim

Pele West

Hi

I am using Windows 7 and the latest Beta version of NVDA works very well.

Pele West

Gene

It will work. If it wouldn't, there would have been an announcement on the list that Windows 7 is no longer supported and that it wouldn't work or might not work.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 12:34 AM

Hi, I’m not sure if the latest version of NVDA will work on windows seven. I don’t see why it wouldn’t. It probably will if you have the proper updates that windows seven has. The last time I used it. I was using NVDA version 19 01 but my 7 box bit the dust and I had to upgrade to win ten.

Hi,

Hiya folks,

Regards,

Jim

Quentin Christensen

Indeed, as Gene said, all versions of NVDA, including the latest NVDA 2020.3 RC1 should work fine on Windows 7.  The only caveat, is that since NVDA 2017.4, you need to have Windows 7 Service Pack 1.  There is no reason not to use SP1, however if installing Windows 7 from scratch using old installation media, it may not come with SP1 out of the box.

Meanwhile, Jim, did you manage to get NVDA installed?

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 9:12 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
It will work.  If it wouldn't, there would have been an announcement on the
list that Windows 7 is no longer supported and that it wouldn't work or
might not work.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 12:34 AM

Hi, I’m not sure if the latest version of NVDA will work on windows seven.
I don’t see why it wouldn’t.  It probably will if you have the proper
updates that windows seven has.  The last time I used it. I was using NVDA
version 19 01  but my 7 box bit the dust and I had to upgrade to win ten.

Hi,

Make sure you have Windows 7 service pack 1 installed on your system. I'm
not sure how NVDA works on Windows 7 now, as I'm using Windows 10 myself.

Hiya folks,

Have had an afternoon I’d rather forget trying to update NVDA to its latest
version 2020.2

I tried updating within the program and also download the full installation
file and both fail each time it tries to go to installing it.

I’ve also uninstalled it and tried it that way still no luck then I could
not install an earlier version to I got hold of version 2016.3 then it
installed and I could only go up to 2019 and then same issues happened
again.

Regards,

Jim

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Dave Grossoehme

Good Day:  Did you uninstall the files for nvda in the appdata window?

Dave

On 10/5/2020 7:57 PM, Jim L wrote:

Yes, have all the service packs, I’ve always been able to update so I really don’t know why I can’t now.

Cheers,

Jim

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Socheat Muth
Sent: Tuesday, 6 October 2020 10:54 AM

Hi,

Hiya folks,

Regards,

Jim