locked Intel or AMD: does the processor make a difference to NVDA

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade my desktop. Do CPU brands make a difference to how
well a screen reader runs? Will NVDA work as well with an intel CPU as with
a AMD CPU?

I suspect it does not but prefer checking.

Pranav

JM Casey

I have run screen-readers on both Intel and AMDs (I have an AMD right now)
and not n noticed any difference in behaviour or performnace. I feel like it
would be quite strange if there was a difference, but maybe someone with
more nowledge of Cpu hardware can clarify how this might in fact be a thing.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pranav Lal
Sent: August 4, 2021 08:02 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Intel or AMD: does the processor make a difference to NVDA

Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade my desktop. Do CPU brands make a difference to how
a AMD CPU?

Pranav

Tyler Wood

Hi,
Not in the slightest.
Go with whatever you fancy and you'll be happy, at this point. I own a 1st generation Ryzen (1800x) and various Intel processors. I see no difference at all both in response time and more importantly to me, browsing windows explorer, which used to be a huge problem with NVDA.
hope that helps and best of luck with your decision.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 7:02 PM Pranav Lal <pranav@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade my desktop. Do CPU brands  make a difference to how
a AMD CPU?

Pranav

And I'll be a third.  I've never noticed any difference in how either NVDA or JAWS runs on Intel versus AMD processors.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Arlene

Hi, I am not sure if I’m a good help. I know with Jaws you need a faster processor I  could be lying. Not sure about NVDA. I know Jaws is a resource hog. I’m not sure anymore.  It depends on what you are going to do with your computer.  If you are going to do radio shows using a computer. Yu do need a fast processor.  If you are going to play games or record shows then you may need a faster computer. 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: August 4, 2021 5:02 PM

Hi all,

a AMD CPU?

Pranav

Gene

I hope techs comment on this, agreeing or not.  Screen-readers aren’t resource hogs and they don’t require fast processors.  My understanding is that if a computer runs well in general, it will run well with a screen-reader.

However, the newer synthesizers that require more resources and aren’t as responsive as the older ones may require discussion.  My impression is that people generally use the newer less responsive synthesizers for listening to documents and they use older responsive synthesizers such as Eloquence for work.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2021 9:25 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Intel or AMD: does the processor make a difference to NVDA

Hi, I am not sure if I’m a good help. I know with Jaws you need a faster processor I  could be lying. Not sure about NVDA. I know Jaws is a resource hog. I’m not sure anymore.  It depends on what you are going to do with your computer.  If you are going to do radio shows using a computer. Yu do need a fast processor.  If you are going to play games or record shows then you may need a faster computer. 

Hi all,

a AMD CPU?

Pranav

Gene

I just checked.  this is about an eleven year old Windows 7 laptop in what was then a moderate price range, about $500.  The processor is a 2.51GHZ unit.  The minimum requirement for JAWS is a 1.5GHZ processor.  . 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2021 9:40 PM

I hope techs comment on this, agreeing or not.  Screen-readers aren’t resource hogs and they don’t require fast processors.  My understanding is that if a computer runs well in general, it will run well with a screen-reader.

However, the newer synthesizers that require more resources and aren’t as responsive as the older ones may require discussion.  My impression is that people generally use the newer less responsive synthesizers for listening to documents and they use older responsive synthesizers such as Eloquence for work.

Gene

Hi, I am not sure if I’m a good help. I know with Jaws you need a faster processor I  could be lying. Not sure about NVDA. I know Jaws is a resource hog. I’m not sure anymore.  It depends on what you are going to do with your computer.  If you are going to do radio shows using a computer. Yu do need a fast processor.  If you are going to play games or record shows then you may need a faster computer. 

Hi all,

a AMD CPU?

Pranav

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

Many thanks for confirming. I am still shopping around so lets see what is available here and what I can get. Good  to know I have options.

Pranav

Vaibhav Saraf

Hi Pranav,

I have two machines, one with Intel and one with AMD. NVDA works smoothly on both.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 at 09:23, Pranav Lal <pranav@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Many thanks for confirming. I am still shopping around so lets see what is available here and what I can get. Good  to know I have options.

Pranav

Monte Single

Hi Pranav

The first p c I purchased almost 25 years ago  had an a m d processor.

Currently, I am using a 5 year old h p desktop with a 6th gen I core 5 processor.

I can never afford the latest, and greatest, but currently,  from what I hear from various sources,  the a m d Rizon processors   are a better choice in terms of performance and price.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pranav Lal
Sent: August 4, 2021 9:53 PM

Hi all,

Pranav

Well having both both are fine.

Amd do get regular non whql drivers so you do get the latest so there is more chance for your version being compatible with the latest version of windows however at the same time you can bump into a version not compatible and causing issues but probably good if you are an insider maybe its certainly faster.

Not that intels are bad or anything.

After spectre amd seemed to be the more secure but at least right now its hard to get a nonbranded unlocked amd system and mostly its intel in local stores anyway.

On the other side, unless you use an old a class generation or gen1 ryzen microsoft is more leniant towards amd as an upgrade path.

My at least 4 or now 5 year old amd 2nd ryzen will make the upgrade path while all intel units below 8th gen will not so an amd system does have the advantage.

Also while intel has tpm amd at least mine has in conjunction to tpm their own security module called sp10 and also has an actual processer devoted to security so there's that.

On 5/08/2021 2:51 pm, Gene wrote:
I just checked.  this is about an eleven year old Windows 7 laptop in what was then a moderate price range, about $500.  The processor is a 2.51GHZ unit.  The minimum requirement for JAWS is a 1.5GHZ processor.  . 

Gene

Gene

Hi all,

a AMD CPU?

Pranav

Nimer Jaber

Right, and the question has now been answered, so topic is locked. Thanks everyone.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 10:31 PM Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

Well having both both are fine.

Amd do get regular non whql drivers so you do get the latest so there is more chance for your version being compatible with the latest version of windows however at the same time you can bump into a version not compatible and causing issues but probably good if you are an insider maybe its certainly faster.

Not that intels are bad or anything.

After spectre amd seemed to be the more secure but at least right now its hard to get a nonbranded unlocked amd system and mostly its intel in local stores anyway.

On the other side, unless you use an old a class generation or gen1 ryzen microsoft is more leniant towards amd as an upgrade path.

My at least 4 or now 5 year old amd 2nd ryzen will make the upgrade path while all intel units below 8th gen will not so an amd system does have the advantage.

Also while intel has tpm amd at least mine has in conjunction to tpm their own security module called sp10 and also has an actual processer devoted to security so there's that.

On 5/08/2021 2:51 pm, Gene wrote:

Gene

Gene

Hi all,

a AMD CPU?

Pranav

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly.

Thank you, and have a great day!