locked Intel or AMD: does the processor make a difference to NVDA

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade my desktop. Do CPU brands make a difference to how
well a screen reader runs? Will NVDA work as well with an intel CPU as with
a AMD CPU?

I suspect it does not but prefer checking.

Pranav

JM Casey

I have run screen-readers on both Intel and AMDs (I have an AMD right now)
and not n noticed any difference in behaviour or performnace. I feel like it
would be quite strange if there was a difference, but maybe someone with
more nowledge of Cpu hardware can clarify how this might in fact be a thing.

I am planning to upgrade my desktop. Do CPU brands make a difference to how
well a screen reader runs? Will NVDA work as well with an intel CPU as with
a AMD CPU?

I suspect it does not but prefer checking.

Pranav

Tyler Wood

Hi,
Not in the slightest.
Go with whatever you fancy and you'll be happy, at this point. I own a 1st generation Ryzen (1800x) and various Intel processors. I see no difference at all both in response time and more importantly to me, browsing windows explorer, which used to be a huge problem with NVDA.
hope that helps and best of luck with your decision.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 7:02 PM Pranav Lal <pranav@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade my desktop. Do CPU brands  make a difference to how
well a screen reader runs? Will NVDA work as well with an intel CPU as with
a AMD CPU?

I suspect it does not but prefer checking.

Pranav

And I'll be a third.  I've never noticed any difference in how either NVDA or JAWS runs on Intel versus AMD processors.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Arlene

Hi, I am not sure if I’m a good help. I know with Jaws you need a faster processor I  could be lying. Not sure about NVDA. I know Jaws is a resource hog. I’m not sure anymore.  It depends on what you are going to do with your computer.  If you are going to do radio shows using a computer. Yu do need a fast processor.  If you are going to play games or record shows then you may need a faster computer.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am planning to upgrade my desktop. Do CPU brands  make a difference to how

well a screen reader runs? Will NVDA work as well with an intel CPU as with

a AMD CPU?

I suspect it does not but prefer checking.

Pranav

Gene

I hope techs comment on this, agreeing or not.  Screen-readers aren’t resource hogs and they don’t require fast processors.  My understanding is that if a computer runs well in general, it will run well with a screen-reader.

However, the newer synthesizers that require more resources and aren’t as responsive as the older ones may require discussion.  My impression is that people generally use the newer less responsive synthesizers for listening to documents and they use older responsive synthesizers such as Eloquence for work.

Hi, I am not sure if I’m a good help. I know with Jaws you need a faster processor I  could be lying. Not sure about NVDA. I know Jaws is a resource hog. I’m not sure anymore.  It depends on what you are going to do with your computer.  If you are going to do radio shows using a computer. Yu do need a fast processor.  If you are going to play games or record shows then you may need a faster computer.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am planning to upgrade my desktop. Do CPU brands  make a difference to how

well a screen reader runs? Will NVDA work as well with an intel CPU as with

a AMD CPU?

I suspect it does not but prefer checking.

Pranav

Gene

I just checked.  this is about an eleven year old Windows 7 laptop in what was then a moderate price range, about $500.  The processor is a 2.51GHZ unit.  The minimum requirement for JAWS is a 1.5GHZ processor.  .

[...]

Many thanks for confirming. I am still shopping around so lets see what is available here and what I can get. Good  to know I have options.

Pranav

Vaibhav Saraf

Hi Pranav,

I have two machines, one with Intel and one with AMD. NVDA works smoothly on both.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 at 09:23, Pranav Lal <pranav@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Many thanks for confirming. I am still shopping around so lets see what is available here and what I can get. Good  to know I have options.

Pranav

Monte Single

Hi Pranav

The first p c I purchased almost 25 years ago  had an a m d processor.

Currently, I am using a 5 year old h p desktop with a 6th gen I core 5 processor.

I can never afford the latest, and greatest, but currently,  from what I hear from various sources,  the a m d Rizon processors   are a better choice in terms of performance and price.