Topics

Interacting with mouse over links using NVDA?

Akash Kakkar

Hey guys,
so subject line says all this.
How do we interact with mouse over links/controls using NVDA?
In JAWS, we use to press "insert+control+enter" which doesn't work in
case of NVDA.
any help/pointers please?

benmoxey@...

Hey Akash

1. Move your focus to the position of the element that has the mouse over actions.
2. Move the mouse pointer to that position with NVDA + / on the number pad (desktop mode) or NVDA + Shift + M (laptop mode).

This should display mouse over actions. Note that I am assuming that the navigator object is set to follow focus changes, which is the default behaviour. You can clarify this if necessary in the Review Cursor settings or toggle this behaviour on or off with NVDA + 7.

All the best.

Ben

How do we interact with mouse over links/controls using NVDA?
In JAWS, we use to press "insert+control+enter" which doesn't work in case of NVDA.
any help/pointers please?

Gene

It may cause the action to take place but you won't know what or where it is.  NVDA doesn't support mouseover.  My impression is that it is so rarely necessary in using sites that it isn't supported except in JAWS.

When you issue the mouseover command in JAWS, JAWS tells you where a change occurred on what line.  You then use the go to line command to see what the change is.  You then use another command to return to your previous position.  NVDA has none of these functions.  While I would think that moving the mouse to the link might carry out the action, as I said, you won't know anything about it.

Gene

On 8/16/2020 3:58 PM, benmoxey@... wrote:
Hey Akash

1. Move your focus to the position of the element that has the mouse over actions.
2. Move the mouse pointer to that position with NVDA + / on the number pad (desktop mode) or NVDA + Shift + M (laptop mode).

This should display mouse over actions. Note that I am assuming that the navigator object is set to follow focus changes, which is the default behaviour. You can clarify this if necessary in the Review Cursor settings or toggle this behaviour on or off with NVDA + 7.

All the best.

Ben

How do we interact with mouse over links/controls using NVDA?
In JAWS, we use to press "insert+control+enter" which doesn't work in case of NVDA.
any help/pointers please?

Akash Kakkar

Thanks Ben,
I'll try it.
:-)

On 8/17/20, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Daniel Damacena

It works quite well! Once you move the mouse to the element, you can navigate through the sub menu with arrows.
Em 17/08/2020 11:25, Akash Kakkar escreveu:

Thanks Ben,
I'll try it.
:-)

On 8/17/20, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

I doubt this can be generalized. What if the menu or whatever structure or additional information occurs on a very different part of the page. Your screen-reader won't read the information automatically and you have no idea where to look. often, when I played with the JAWS mouseover feature, I would hear information such as screen changed at line 11. I hope on the web page you are working with, moving the mouse to the link is useful.

How do we interact with mouse over links/controls using NVDA?
In JAWS, we use to press "insert+control+enter" which doesn't work in case
of NVDA.
any help/pointers please?

Gene

Also, I doubt that having something appear on a web page or change is classified as a focus change. it is a change on the page, and unless there is something like JAVA script on the page to force you to that place, as Google forces you into the edit field when you open the home page to do a search, I don't think the screen-reader will react. Look at live regions on web pages. If there changing information were defined by the screen-reader as a new focus point, you would be constantly losing your place when trying to work with the page.

How do we interact with mouse over links/controls using NVDA?
In JAWS, we use to press "insert+control+enter" which doesn't work in
case
of NVDA.
any help/pointers please?

Sarah k Alawami

Will this work wherein I have to hover over buttons and stuff to get actions to show up? I can hardly get this to work at all at mee6.xyz. By the way you must be logged in in order to see what I'm talking about but you can delete actions , messages etc by hovering over items. A menu will then show up.

On 16 Aug 2020, at 13:58, benmoxey@... wrote:

Hey Akash

1. Move your focus to the position of the element that has the mouse over actions.
2. Move the mouse pointer to that position with NVDA + / on the number pad (desktop mode) or NVDA + Shift + M (laptop mode).

This should display mouse over actions. Note that I am assuming that the navigator object is set to follow focus changes, which is the default behaviour. You can clarify this if necessary in the Review Cursor settings or toggle this behaviour on or off with NVDA + 7.

All the best.

Ben

How do we interact with mouse over links/controls using NVDA?
In JAWS, we use to press "insert+control+enter" which doesn't work in case of NVDA.
any help/pointers please?

benmoxey@...

Hi Sarah

It’s worth a try on websites where you encounter these situations. Results will vary, but it might get you out of trouble. Of course, I always recommend providing respectful feedback regarding accessibility issues to the developer to try and get them resolved.

Cheers

Ben

How do we interact with mouse over links/controls using NVDA?
In JAWS, we use to press "insert+control+enter" which doesn't work in case of NVDA.
any help/pointers please?

CARLOS-ESTEBAN

Hello.

Yes, the interaction with NVDA is depending of the web page. In some cases is a normal element but no is possible enable temp with the Keyboard, in other cases the controls don’t are standard and the NVDA commands for move the mouse to the same place of the navigator object and after the command for use the mouse click (or the physicals buttons primary or secondary in the mouse) can work with NVDA and NVDA can read the options from a menu, for example, but in this point some websites are different.

In this case, we can use NVDA Remote for test the accessibility of the website after of the login.

Regards.

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías.
Músico (pianista) y también ayuda a usuarios con discapacidad visual con el uso de lectores de pantalla y tecnología.

Musician (pianist) and also help to the blind people in the use of screen readers and technology.
Certified expert in the screen reader NVDA.