Introducing NVDA-addons.org, the largest international add-ons store with official and unofficial add-ons from all NVDA communities

Iván Novegil

Dear NVDA users across the world,

I'm pleased to announce to you the availability of the final version of NVDA-addons.org, the first website created to serve as an international directory for both official and unofficial NVDA add-ons.

Indeed, this project aims to gather the download links of all possible add-ons, within logical standards of usability. You won't have to search in Google anymore to, at the end, find an outdated version uploaded to Dropbox, or ask through your preferred mailing list until someone is able to rescue and send you as an attachment that add-on that is distributed from mailbox to mailbox for years. In NVDA_addons.org, your favourite add-on may be hosted by Dropbox, but we, both users and administrators, will make our best to guarantee you its most updated release. Moreover, you'll be able to know before downloading any add-on its exact compatibility range and development status.

The platform has been self-developed by us and has the following features:

  • Table of add-ons on the home page: As simple as typing NVDA-addons.org in your preferred web browser. Last updated add-ons are shown at the top and official add-ons, those published at add-ons.nvda-project.org, are flagged as "verified".
  • Filters: You can filter add-on table by add-on's name, summary, release channel, minimum NVDA version and last tested NVDA version.
  • Paginator: Browse the add-on table 50 by 50.
  • Dedicated page for each add-on: See its author, website, description and available downloads, with supported NVDA version range for each of them.
  • Direct download both from home page and add-on page.
  • Supported by advancedAddonFiles: The directory already contains all the add-ons added to the Spanish-speaking NVDA Community website, NVDA.es. This is because NVDA-addons.org is only an interface for advancedAddonFiles, the application that manages add-on additions and updates.
  • Automatic translator in all pages, powered by Google.
  • top 10 downloaded add-ons: All pages include a widget showing the 10 most downloaded add-on releases along with their last tested NVDA version.
  • Newsletter: With our newsletter, you'll get a digest of updated and added add-ons each week, and also special notices and information about review requests. Subscribe by sending a blank message to news+subscribe@.... This is also displayed as a widget in all pages.
  • Donate: We'd prefer not to ask for donations, but the Spanish-speaking NVDA Community Association, stablished in Spain as a legal nonprofit, survives thanks to them. Maintaining NVDA-addons.org is only one of our initiatives. You can donate through PayPal, credit/debit card and GitHub Sponsors, using the widget at the bottom of each page.
  • Direct contact: We are human and willing to help. Send us your thoughts, questions and suggestions to admin@....

How can you collaborate?

  1. Adding new add-ons: You can submit a review request for one add-on that is not registered. It doesn't matter if you are its author or not. Once we've verified it doesn't contain spam, it'll be published to receive public comments regarding add-on usability and security. In absence of them, or after they've been resolved, the add-on will be added to the database. If you've specified your email, you'll be given direct access to update that add-on. You can also submit a review request for already registered add-ons to discuss usability or security issues.
  2. Letting us know of add-on updates: If you find an outdated add-on in our database, don't hesitate to reach us at admin@... with all the information you have about the new version. We'll happy to publish that new version, provieded that it's from the same author or we have reasonable evidences of abandonment from that maintainer and a new one continues the development.

What happens if you have an interested friend who doesn't know English? That's, in fact, the idea behind the translate widget. Just choose your native language and enjoy. We know that no translation can match a human translation, but this is our easiest and simplest solution to have NVDA-addons.org internationalized. If you want to export our catalog to your local NVDA website, don't forget that it's available in JSON format at https://nvda-addons.org/files/get.php?addonslist

On the other hand, don't worry to write us a message in another language. We'll make our best to reply you.

What is coming next? We're now announcing the first version of the website but can't wait to think about the future. Héctor Benítez has developed an add-ons store prototype for NVDA-addons.org, which will be enhanced until it gets to a stable version that we all can use to review the catalog and download the add-ons we want from NVDA directly. You can download the prototype, in spanish, from: https://nvda-addons.org/files/get.php?file=tienda

I really hope this new tool is useful for you and every NVDA user you know. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards.

--

Iván Novegil Cancelas
Equipo de xestión web e desenvolvemento

Asociación Comunidad Hispanohablante de NVDA
- Tel.: (+34) 910 05 33 25 ext. 2000
- ivan.novegil@...
- www.NVDA.es
- @nvda_es

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Esta mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos están dirixidos ao seu destinatario e poden conter información privilexiada ou confidencial. A utilización, copia ou divulgación dos mesmos por parte de alguén diferente do destinatario mencionado non están permitidas sen autorización. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro pregámoslle o comunique por esta mesma vía e a destrúa.***

Iván,

First and foremost, thank you for all the time and effort to bring this to fruition.  It's a welcome addition.

I am about to make a suggestion, if I may, and that is to organize the add-ons list by add-on name.  As it looks now, the arrangement may be much like the old community add-ons page, which shifted based upon when the last update to a given add-on was made.  I have always hated this, and find it to be a very confusing arrangement (and some of that is because I can see, and having things change spots "at random" as updates occur doesn't allow one to get used to where anything "should be" on a given webpage).  I find it far easier to have a list where, like most things that have names, alphabetical order by name is used.  Although I know this may not be done, you won't get what you don't ask for.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Iván Novegil

I think it would be useful, in general, to add an sorting system where the user could select the field which sort addons by. E.g: combo box, order by: name, summary, last updated. I think it shouldn't be very difficult to implement it. I have to redesign some parts of the home page, so noted down this as well.

Regards.

Iván Novegil Cancelas
Equipo de xestión web e desenvolvemento

Asociación Comunidad Hispanohablante de NVDA
- Tel.: (+34) 910 05 33 25 ext. 2000
- ivan.novegil@...
- www.NVDA.es
- @nvda_es

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Esta mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos están dirixidos ao seu destinatario e poden conter información privilexiada ou confidencial. A utilización, copia ou divulgación dos mesmos por parte de alguén diferente do destinatario mencionado non están permitidas sen autorización. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro pregámoslle o comunique por esta mesma vía e a destrúa.***

O 07/08/2021 á(s) 1:12, Brian Vogel escribiu:

[...]

I'll never argue that giving the user the ability to choose their sort order is a bad idea.  Better than sticking with my suggestion as a fixed "one and only" option.  I still think it makes sense as a default option, but others may feel very differently.

But when this comes to fruition some default order will need to be selected.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Iván Novegil

Hi.

I've kept the current default option, that is, it moves most recently updated add-ons to the top of the table, but also added a combo box to choose if you want to order it by name or summary, A-Z. I've also added a checkbox to only show official add-ons as a quick solution for grouping by official and unofficial, but I'll look into it deeper in the following days, since some more suggestions where made that would need to rebuild the SQL query structure and the table.

Regards.

Iván Novegil Cancelas
Equipo de xestión web e desenvolvemento

Asociación Comunidad Hispanohablante de NVDA
- Tel.: (+34) 910 05 33 25 ext. 2000
- ivan.novegil@...
- www.NVDA.es
- @nvda_es

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Esta mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos están dirixidos ao seu destinatario e poden conter información privilexiada ou confidencial. A utilización, copia ou divulgación dos mesmos por parte de alguén diferente do destinatario mencionado non están permitidas sen autorización. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro pregámoslle o comunique por esta mesma vía e a destrúa.***

O 07/08/2021 á(s) 1:23, Brian Vogel escribiu:

Iván,

I'll never argue that giving the user the ability to choose their sort order is a bad idea.  Better than sticking with my suggestion as a fixed "one and only" option.  I still think it makes sense as a default option, but others may feel very differently.

But when this comes to fruition some default order will need to be selected.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Iván,

Trouble report:  If you change the sort order using the drop-down on the first page, it only works on the first page.  When hit the Next link on the bottom of  page one the subsequent page reverts to your default ordering.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Iván Novegil

Fixed. Thank you for the report.

Regards.

Iván Novegil Cancelas
Equipo de xestión web e desenvolvemento

Asociación Comunidad Hispanohablante de NVDA
- Tel.: (+34) 910 05 33 25 ext. 2000
- ivan.novegil@...
- www.NVDA.es
- @nvda_es

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Esta mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos están dirixidos ao seu destinatario e poden conter información privilexiada ou confidencial. A utilización, copia ou divulgación dos mesmos por parte de alguén diferente do destinatario mencionado non están permitidas sen autorización. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro pregámoslle o comunique por esta mesma vía e a destrúa.***

O 07/08/2021 á(s) 5:10, Brian Vogel escribiu:

Iván,

Trouble report:  If you change the sort order using the drop-down on the first page, it only works on the first page.  When hit the Next link on the bottom of  page one the subsequent page reverts to your default ordering.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sarah k Alawami

I think there should be a toggle which the person can choose. I’d much prefer sometimes last updated and sometimes name.

First and foremost, thank you for all the time and effort to bring this to fruition.  It's a welcome addition.

I am about to make a suggestion, if I may, and that is to organize the add-ons list by add-on name.  As it looks now, the arrangement may be much like the old community add-ons page, which shifted based upon when the last update to a given add-on was made.  I have always hated this, and find it to be a very confusing arrangement (and some of that is because I can see, and having things change spots "at random" as updates occur doesn't allow one to get used to where anything "should be" on a given webpage).  I find it far easier to have a list where, like most things that have names, alphabetical order by name is used.  Although I know this may not be done, you won't get what you don't ask for.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

JinYoun

Hi, I just tried clicking on the link and got an error page saying,
check the spelling of the website... and could not go to the website.
Thank you for creating this site.

news+subscribe@nvda-addons.org. This is also displayed as a widget
thoughts, questions and suggestions to admin@nvda-addons.org.

our database, don't hesitate to reach us at admin@nvda-addons.org
[...]

Experto certificado en NVDA <https://certification.nvaccess.org>

NVDA.es Logo
Asociación Comunidad Hispanohablante de NVDA
- Tel.: (+34) 910 05 33 25 ext. 2000 <tel:+34910053325,2000>
- ivan.novegil@nvda.es <mailto:ivan.novegil@nvda.es>
- www.NVDA.es <https://nvda.es>
- @nvda_es <https://twitter.com/nvda_es>

Hi, did you access https://nvda-addons.org? It is working as far as I know...

Regards.

Iván Novegil Cancelas
Equipo de xestión web e desenvolvemento

Asociación Comunidad Hispanohablante de NVDA
- Tel.: (+34) 910 05 33 25 ext. 2000
- ivan.novegil@...
- www.NVDA.es
- @nvda_es

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Esta mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos están dirixidos ao seu destinatario e poden conter información privilexiada ou confidencial. A utilización, copia ou divulgación dos mesmos por parte de alguén diferente do destinatario mencionado non están permitidas sen autorización. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro pregámoslle o comunique por esta mesma vía e a destrúa.***

O 07/08/2021 á(s) 19:57, JinYoun escribiu:

- ivan.novegil@... <mailto:ivan.novegil@...>
- www.NVDA.es <https://nvda.es>
- @nvda_es <https://twitter.com/nvda_es>

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Esta mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos están dirixidos ao seu
destinatario e poden conter información privilexiada ou confidencial. A
utilización, copia ou divulgación dos mesmos por parte de alguén
diferente do destinatario mencionado non están permitidas sen
autorización. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro pregámoslle o comunique
por esta mesma vía e a destrúa.***

Gene

Also, how did you try to get to the page?  Did you press enter on the link?  At times, that doesn’t work.  In a case where you don’t get expected results, try copying the address to the clipboard, its much faster and more convenient than typing, paste it into the address bar of your browser, then press enter.

The page is there.

Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2021 2:28 PM

On 8/6/21, Iván Novegil via groups.io mailto:ivan.novegil@... wrote:
[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene,

There were times when I’ve had to do shift enter in order to click on a link that didn’t work. Luckily it doesn’t happen too often.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2021 2:28 PM

[...]

Sometimes that happens but that appears to be because the built-in popup blocker is preventing the link from opening in another tab or window.  I don’t know how universal this is, but my impression is that in some or many popup blockers, shift enter bypasses the popup blocker.

Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2021 2:28 PM

[...]

I remember having to hit shift enter on a link for a friend of mine’s oldies show years ago.

Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2021 2:28 PM

[...]

Kenny Cheung

Just tried the link. It works for me.

Sent from Kenny’s iPhone

On Aug 7, 2021, at 13:57, JinYoun <healthytaeshim@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

David Moore

I have been waiting for something like this for a very long time! Thanks so very much for what you and others have done to provide us an easy way to get add-ons! My true dream will be an add-on store built right in to NVDA, where updates will be done and add'-ons can be updated by themselves, just like a browser updates with out you knowing about it in the background! Thank you!

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021, 7:18 AM Iván Novegil via groups.io <ivan.novegil=nvda.es@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Hi Iván, the link you provided worked for me. Thank you!

wrote:
[...]

Marco Oros

This is very great idea. I'll be happy to upload here new addons aswell.

Marco

Dňa 7. 8. 2021 o 0:11 Iván Novegil via groups.io napísal(a):

[...]

Brandon Peters

I think what is seen here is awesome. It would be nice, once someone has uploaded new add-ons to see a Recently added section, so we can know what is new. This section might include updated versions of current add-ons too. Just a thought I had. Great job, on the whole for what has been made thus far!

On 8/8/2021 2:59 AM, Marco Oros wrote:

[...]

Timothy Appleby

HI there, does anyone know if the Time Zone add-on would be compatible for NVDA, downloaded and tried to install it, it then popped up a dialog saying that the add-on is incompatible, is there a new version of it somewhere?