Topics

Introducing the Quick Dictionary add-on #addonrelease

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hi all!
Friends, let me introduce you an add-on that allows you to get detailed dictionary articles for a selected word or combination of words.
Dictionary articles contain detailed information about a word, such as part of speech, gender, plural or singular, translation options, list of meanings, synonyms and detailed examples. Such information will be useful for people who are learning foreign languages, or seek to use in communication all the richness and diversity of their own language.

I have been using this add-on for a long time, but have only just finished working on it.
This is my first NVDA add-on. I studied the code of many add-ons and used in my work some solutions from such awesome add-ons as Instant Translate, Remote, Developer Kit and others.

How to use:
1. First you need to select the word you are interested in.
2. Press NVDA + D twice and listen dictionary entry.

There are other functions which can be listened to by calling a short help:
1. Switch to add-on control mode via NVDA + D.
2. Press H to listen to the help message.

The add-on also has a settings dialog.

More information can be found in the Quick Dictionary add-on repository:
https://github.com/grisov/quickDictionary

You can download this add-on here:
https://github.com/grisov/quickDictionary/releases/download/v1.0/quickDictionary-1.0.nvda-addon

I will be very glad if my add-on will be useful for someone else.
And I would be interested to hear your feedback and suggestions.

Thank you for reading this message and I wish everyone a good weekend!
Good luck to all!
Oleksandr

Roger Stewart

This sounds very interesting.  However, I'm wondering where it gets the data base for all the dictionary entries?  Are they part of the add on itself or does it use an on line dictionary somewhere?

Roger

On 9/26/2020 4:58 PM, Oleksandr Gryshchenko wrote:
[...]

Hi Roger,
This add-on uses the online dictionary https://tech.yandex.com/dictionary/
Unfortunately, I didn't find another online dictionary service with more or less adequate quotas for use by free users.
In addition, dictionary articles here are quite detailed.
But, of course, if I can find the best service - I will remake the add-on for it.
It will be enough to rewrite only two modules of the add-on (dictionary.py and languages.py).

Ibrahim Abedrabbo

Hi Oleksandr,
Which languages does this dictionary cover? Is it only English-English, or English to other languages?

Regards

On Sep 26, 2020, at 6:46 PM, Oleksandr Gryshchenko <kita.zup+groups@...> wrote:

Hi Roger,
This add-on uses the online dictionary https://tech.yandex.com/dictionary/
Unfortunately, I didn't find another online dictionary service with more or less adequate quotas for use by free users.
In addition, dictionary articles here are quite detailed.
But, of course, if I can find the best service - I will remake the add-on for it.
It will be enough to rewrite only two modules of the add-on (dictionary.py and languages.py).

soloman s

Sir,
Thank you for coming up with such brilliant and useful add--on. I am
going to try it with my Mother tongue Tamil.
Is there any chance of you getting it to work offline in future version?

--
With warm regards
Solomon S

Gary Metzler

Hi,

I am having a problem trying to register the add on. I get the email with the code and I enter it but, when I go to next nothing happens.  Is there a step that I am missing?  Thanks for any help.

Which languages does this dictionary cover? Is it only English-English, or English to other languages?

Regards

On Sep 26, 2020, at 6:46 PM, Oleksandr Gryshchenko <kita.zup+groups@...> wrote:

Hi Roger,
This add-on uses the online dictionary https://tech.yandex.com/dictionary/
Unfortunately, I didn't find another online dictionary service with more or less adequate quotas for use by free users.
In addition, dictionary articles here are quite detailed.
But, of course, if I can find the best service - I will remake the add-on for it.
It will be enough to rewrite only two modules of the add-on (dictionary.py and languages.py).

William Wong

Well, why not using request module  to send request to check dict meaning from some popular website?

Oleksandr Gryshchenko 於 27/9/2020 6:46 寫道:

Hi Roger,
This add-on uses the online dictionary https://tech.yandex.com/dictionary/
Unfortunately, I didn't find another online dictionary service with more or less adequate quotas for use by free users.
In addition, dictionary articles here are quite detailed.
But, of course, if I can find the best service - I will remake the add-on for it.
It will be enough to rewrite only two modules of the add-on (dictionary.py and languages.py).

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hi Ibrahim, Soloman, Gary, William and everyone who reads this message :)
Friends, I didn't take into account one detail, namely that the keyboard shortcut NVDA + D is already used in NVDA...
I'll see what a handy keyboard shortcut we can use and change it nearest time.

Ibrahim Abedrabbo wrote:
> Which languages does this dictionary cover? Is it only English-English, or English to other languages?
The online dictionary used in this add-on supports only about 27 languages. Coverage depends on the specific language selected.
For example, about 20 translation languages are available for English, but only one for Chinese...
A full list of supported language combinations I will provide at the end of this message.

Soloman wrote:
> Is there any chance of you getting it to work offline in future version?
This add-on simply sends requests to the remote server and with NVDA announces the result. Of course, we can modify the add-on so that it will works with the dictionary installed on your computer.
I'm going to look for available dictionary databases that could be installed locally and used in the add-on.

Gary Metzler wrote:
> I am having a problem trying to register the add on. I get the email with the code and I enter it but, when I go to next nothing happens.  Is there a step that I am missing?  Thanks for any help.
Gary, you don't need to immediately register your own remote dictionary access token to try the add-on.
When you install the add-on, it already has a previously registered access token and you can use it immediately. Until there are not many users of the add-on - this code will be available.
I will try to register another access token and see what problems may arise during the registration process.

William Wong wrote:
> Well, why not using request module  to send request to check dict meaning from some popular website?
William, I agree that it can be done this way. By the way, this add-on also uses the urllib.request module.
But it seems to me that using the API is much more convenient and reliable than parsing a web page.
Unfortunately it is really quite difficult to find quality API services with large free quotas.
For example, the following online dictionary service allows to perform only 300 queries per day [https://www.lexicala.com/k-dictionaries]...

List of language combinations available in the remote dictionary service:
    "be-be",
    "be-ru",
    "bg-ru",
    "cs-cs",
    "cs-en",
    "cs-ru",
    "da-en",
    "da-ru",
    "de-de",
    "de-en",
    "de-ru",
    "de-tr",
    "el-en",
    "el-ru",
    "en-cs",
    "en-da",
    "en-de",
    "en-el",
    "en-en",
    "en-es",
    "en-et",
    "en-fi",
    "en-fr",
    "en-it",
    "en-lt",
    "en-lv",
    "en-nl",
    "en-no",
    "en-pt",
    "en-ru",
    "en-sk",
    "en-sv",
    "en-tr",
    "en-uk",
    "es-en",
    "es-es",
    "es-ru",
    "et-en",
    "et-ru",
    "fi-en",
    "fi-ru",
    "fi-fi",
    "fr-fr",
    "fr-en",
    "fr-ru",
    "hu-hu",
    "hu-ru",
    "it-en",
    "it-it",
    "it-ru",
    "lt-en",
    "lt-lt",
    "lt-ru",
    "lv-en",
    "lv-ru",
    "mhr-ru",
    "mrj-ru",
    "nl-en",
    "nl-ru",
    "no-en",
    "no-ru",
    "pl-ru",
    "pt-en",
    "pt-ru",
    "ru-be",
    "ru-bg",
    "ru-cs",
    "ru-da",
    "ru-de",
    "ru-el",
    "ru-en",
    "ru-es",
    "ru-et",
    "ru-fi",
    "ru-fr",
    "ru-hu",
    "ru-it",
    "ru-lt",
    "ru-lv",
    "ru-mhr",
    "ru-mrj",
    "ru-nl",
    "ru-no",
    "ru-pl",
    "ru-pt",
    "ru-ru",
    "ru-sk",
    "ru-sv",
    "ru-tr",
    "ru-tt",
    "ru-uk",
    "ru-zh",
    "sk-en",
    "sk-ru",
    "sv-en",
    "sv-ru",
    "tr-de",
    "tr-en",
    "tr-ru",
    "tt-ru",
    "uk-en",
    "uk-ru",
    "uk-uk",
    "zh-ru"

I wish everyone a great day!

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Dear Soloman,
Just reviewed the list of available languages, and, unfortunately, there is no Tamil among them.
I came to the conclusion that the remote dictionary server I chose has a limited choice of available languages and we need to look for another similar service.
I hope to be able to change the remote dictionary used in future versions to a more advanced one.
Good luck!

I think one solution to the NVDA+d hotkey conflict is to leave the hotkey to activate the addon unassigned, and then add the addon activation jesture to the input jesture dialog, which would allow users to set their own hotkey for activating the addon.

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hi all :)

Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
> I think one solution to the NVDA+d hotkey conflict is to leave the hotkey to activate the addon
Yes, I have already fixed this error. The add-on now uses NVDA + E.

Good luck to all!

abdul muhamin

Yes, but this key is conflicting with the emoticons addon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> I think one solution to the NVDA+d hotkey conflict is to leave the hotkey to activate the addon
Yes, I have already fixed this error. The add-on now uses NVDA + E.

Good luck to all!

Rob Hudson

NVDA+shift+d would work.

Yes, but this key is conflicting with the emoticons addon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I think one solution to the NVDA+d hotkey conflict is to leave the hotkey to activate the addon
Yes, I have already fixed this error. The add-on now uses NVDA + E.

Good luck to all!

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

No, Rob, it is "Audio mute modes"...

Oh, how difficult it is to choose a free keyboard shortcut...
Ok, please advise me the right combination.
Thank you! ;)

Rob Hudson

Oh, so it is lol.
I was going to suggest control+NVDA+d but that gets you document formatting.
Then I guess NVDA+Shift+E will work. Or NVDA+Y.

Oh, how difficult it is to choose a free keyboard shortcut...
Ok, please advise me the right combination.
Thank you! ;)

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Control-alt-D

I was going to suggest control+NVDA+d but that gets you document formatting.
Then I guess NVDA+Shift+E will work. Or NVDA+Y.

Oh, how difficult it is to choose a free keyboard shortcut...
Ok, please advise me the right combination.
Thank you! ;)

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Guys, can we use NVDA+X ?
It seems to me that it will be quite convenient.
Thank you very much for your advice!

Ralf Kefferpuetz

NVDA-X would break my fingers on my left hand, lol. Seriously I think it is free….