Introductory questions about navigating in a browser.

Alan Joyce

Hi,

I’m new to using NVDA having little exposure to other text to speech programs before jumping in. I’ve use a program called the Grid which acts as a keyboard emulator to help me with my typing as I’m unable to physically access a standard keyboard. With my setup on NVDA, I have found a few elements which I’m struggling with and would appreciate a guide through. These are;

1.   When reading out a lengthy email from Gmail opened in the EDGE browser, is it possible to control the read back rate – say line by line – so I can pick up on what is being typed. What are the key combination for this and the settings which would allow this?

2.   When I open a webpage in the Edge, is it possible for NVDA to start to read the page content automatically? At the moment, it announces the page opening and I have to start finding my way through Tabbing or down arrow key which seems to work some times and then not others.

3.   For above, is there one reading mode which is preferred over the other?

I’m sure I’ve more to come on top of these but I’d welcome a start!

Kindest regards,

Alan

Windows 10, Ver 1909

Enable Ireland Disability Services Ltd. Registered Office Unit 32F, Rosemount Park Drive, Rosemount Business Park, Ballycoolin Road, Dublin 11 Registered in Dublin No.13909 Charity No.20006617 Patron Michael D. Higgins, President of Ireland Chairman Stephen Haughey Chief Executive John O'Sullivan Secretary Noreen Dempsey.

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is intended solely for attention and use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any form of use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender and delete all copies from your computer system(s). The sender accepts no responsibility for unauthorised copying or processing of this email by any third party and disclaims any liability for any loss arising as a result.You are welcome to view our Privacy Notice on-line at: https://www.enableireland.ie/privacy-policy.

Jujube

Hi, I'll try to answer your questions though I for some reason don't fully know what you mean.

1. To read by line usually pressing up or down arrows can work. If you want to read by paragraph press control + up or down arrow.

2. If you want everything read to you when the page loads, change the following setting:
a. press NVDA control B to access browse mode settings.
b. tab a few times until you get to the setting "automatic say all on page load". Press space to check it and then press enter to close the dialog. Hope this helps.

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 9:39 AM Alan Joyce <amjoyce@...> wrote:

[...]

Gene

When reading begins, press control to stop reading.  Then move line by line and you will hear each line and no more until you move to the next line.

There is a way to have the web page read but that won’t solve what you evidently want to do.  Evidently, you want to start reading at the beginning of content you want to read such as an article.  To do that, try moving using the letter n to skip blocks of links, or h, move by heading.  On some pages, one works better than the other.

If you do want a page to read from the top, there is a setting you can change, discussed by another member.  There may be some pages where you want this at least at times.

I don’t know how slow it is for you to type and I don’t know which you might prefer in situations like this:
Say you open a web page that is the home page of a newspaper.  You want to get to the link that says editorial.  If the page starts to read automatically, press control.
You can then open NVDA search, which is used on web pages and some other places, type edit and search.  This will save you from moving through a lot of links to find it.
Or you can open the links list and type the letter e until you find it.  I believe you press enter then to follow the link when in the links list.

Or if, on this page, you haven’t gone to a lot of links to different sections of the paper, when the page opens and you have stopped automatic reading, if it occurs, type the letter v.  That moves you through links you have used before.  Then, when you get to the one you want, follow it as usual.

[...]

Tony Malykh

Regarding reading webpages I can recommend my TextNav add-on. You can press Alt+Shift+DownArrow to find the text where you can start reading - it works well on most webpages.

HTH