Topics

Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

Annette Moore

Thanks, Gene NZ.

Annette

On 3/12/2019 10:55 PM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi

when i had it disabled under startup i did not get the message after that. I re enabled it and it comes back.

If you disable it you can still use it by going to the shortcut and going in that way..

Gene nz

On 13/03/2019 3:51 PM, Annette Moore wrote:

Would simply disabling it from Startup stop these invisible Dropbox windows from popping up?, or would the notifications also need to be turned off?

Annette

On 3/12/2019 8:17 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:

it certainly is, and until you turn off drop box, though you might like to know if a friend or colleague sends you stuff or gets stuff, you have to put up with this s**t.

On 3/11/2019 12:52 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

Its annoying as hell.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Sam Bushman <libertyroundtable@...>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 3:50:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

That is correct – it’s not a notification. It is a box that comes up over and over though.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of George McCoy
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 1:36 PM

For me, this is not a notification.  It looks exactly like the screen that comes up when I click the dropbox button in the system tray/user notifications area of windows 10.

George

On 3/11/2019 11:11 AM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Good Morning:  I read this information a little late.  However, I check notifications, which are in settings and the notification for Drop Box is uncheck.

Dave

On 2/25/2019 5:10 AM, Gene wrote:

Has anyone looked through options in Dropbox to see if anything is available about not showing notifications or messages?  These are, presumably, shown in the system tray.  I almost never use DropBox, though I have it, and I usually don't have it running.  I don't know if I have the latest version.  But the first thing I would do is look through the options to see if anything is available.  I may check later today but it might be better if someone checks who uses it regularly, and knows they have the problem version.  Presumably, I either do or it would update if I leave it on.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 3:18 AM

The whole thrust of it for us is that you can hear when new updates come in.
To try to schedule everything at the studio will cause our non tech folk a
problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 3:45 PM

Is there any reason to have it running constantly?  You can exit it and only
run it when you want to use it.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 9:32 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92.  Approximately every half an hour or so,
NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to
contain a single, blank edit field.  The window doesn't seem to stay on
the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it
disappears.  In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0
pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day
is irritating.  Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes
https://twitter.com/JamesScholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884  How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/

To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

While this Drop Box issue is an annoyance, it goes away within a few minutes after system boot on my computer.  Are others having the phantom windows stay visible indefinitely?

On 3/12/2019 10:57 PM, Gene wrote:
I'm sure if the program weren't running, you wouldn't get such notifications.  But some people want the program to be constantly running and for those people this would be a problem.  And even if you have the program run at boot up, you can close it in the system tray.

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:51 PM

Would simply disabling it from Startup stop these invisible Dropbox windows from popping up?, or would the notifications also need to be turned off?

Annette

it certainly is, and until you turn off drop box, though you might like to know if a friend or colleague sends you stuff or gets stuff, you have to put up with this s**t.

Its annoying as hell.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Sam Bushman <libertyroundtable@...>

That is correct – it’s not a notification. It is a box that comes up over and over though.

For me, this is not a notification.  It looks exactly like the screen that comes up when I click the dropbox button in the system tray/user notifications area of windows 10.

George

Good Morning:  I read this information a little late.  However, I check notifications, which are in settings and the notification for Drop Box is uncheck.

Dave

Has anyone looked through options in Dropbox to see if anything is available about not showing notifications or messages?  These are, presumably, shown in the system tray.  I almost never use DropBox, though I have it, and I usually don't have it running.  I don't know if I have the latest version.  But the first thing I would do is look through the options to see if anything is available.  I may check later today but it might be better if someone checks who uses it regularly, and knows they have the problem version.  Presumably, I either do or it would update if I leave it on.

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Arlene

H I didn’t know that. Well that’s good to know.

Sent: March 12, 2019 9:58 PM

Hi Group,

While this Drop Box issue is an annoyance, it goes away within a few minutes after system boot on my computer.  Are others having the phantom windows stay visible indefinitely?

I'm sure if the program weren't running, you wouldn't get such notifications.  But some people want the program to be constantly running and for those people this would be a problem.  And even if you have the program run at boot up, you can close it in the system tray.

Gene

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

-- 

Annette Moore

they don't stick around, no, but they come and go. they disappear after a moment, but then they reappear some time later, disappearing once again after a minute or two. I just alt tab away from them when they appear. they come several times a day, though.

Annette

On 3/12/2019 11:58 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

Gene

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

-- 

Jaffar Sidek

Hi. I am not getting those annoying popups anymore.  I don't know why though As I've not changed any setting.  Cheers!

On 3/13/2019 10:51 AM, Annette Moore wrote:

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

Richard Bartholomew

Firstly, my apologies if I’m going over old ground but I missed the start of this thread and, therefore, don’t know the configuration under which this happens!

I’m using Dropbox V68.4.102 under Windows 10, 1809 and have it running constantly from bootup to shutdown and have never seen this window, thankfully.  Under Dropbox Preferences and in the notification tab, I have everything unchecked as I don’t want to be pestered with file update notifications since I share folders with a large number of people and constantly hearing them, for me, is very irritating…besides which, if you’re away from the PC, you miss them anyway so why not miss them all?  Is it having these checkboxes set which is causing the problem?

I do find NVDA very sluggish in the Dropbox Systray area compared to other screenreaders but, other than this and their awful website, I seem to be fortunate in having no problems with it and neither do those with whom I share folders! 

Richard Bartholomew

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ron Canazzi
Sent: 13 March 2019 04:59

Hi Group,

Gene

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

-- 

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi !

In answer to your question, Ron, the only time I get a Dropbox window I never used to get is just before my computer finishes booting, and it disappears in less than a minute, not coming back till the computer boots again. I don’t know whether it makes a difference that I’m on Windows 7, but I have never noticed any strange Dropbox windows appearing after my computer has finished booting. I am using Dropbox 68.4.102, which I assume is the latest version, as my Dropbox automatically updates on its own.

Bye for now!

From Clare

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ron Canazzi
Sent: mercredi 13 mars 2019 05:59

Hi Group,

Gene

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

-- 

Gene

It should be made clear that if you use the shortcut, you will run the program and you will see these announcements again.  You would have to close the program again from the system tray after using it not to see them.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:55 PM

Hi

when i had it disabled under startup i did not get the message after that. I re enabled it and it comes back.

If you disable it you can still use it by going to the shortcut and going in that way..

Gene nz

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa).
To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884  How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/

To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Dan Beaver

On my system they pop up and stay for a couple of minutes.  Then they popup again in a while.  I get these lots during each day.

Dan

On 3/13/2019 1:23 AM, Arlene wrote:

Hi Group,

Gene

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

-- 

-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Darren Harris

What is actually causing this? Is it a db update that’s done this or what?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 13 March 2019 12:16

It should be made clear that if you use the shortcut, you will run the program and you will see these announcements again.  You would have to close the program again from the system tray after using it not to see them.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:55 PM

Hi

Gene nz

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

--

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa).
To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

Gene

I suspect that these windows come up when something changes, someone adds a file or removes it that you are sharing folders with.  It may come up when the program is first run, but one person reported that the window comes up about every half hour, another person reported about every hour.  I doubt there is any general rule about how often they come up. 

The following may have a useful suggestion but my understanding of just what is occurring may not be correct.  But whatever is done about this unreadable window problem, my suggestion about how such information is displayed may be useful. 

Probably what is needed is the ability to turn such notifications completely off or alter it in some sort of accessibility setting so the information can be checked periodically by the blind person to see announcements about what has changed without them being read automatically.  I expect this can be done.  The information could be displayed in the system tray so a blind person can go to it and read it without a help balloon or a toast announcement being generated.  Information can change constantly if desired in the system tray without a screen-reader reading it if it just changes.  This should be an accessibility setting that can be turned on in preferences.  Should it be on by default when a screen-reader is detected?  I'll leave that for others to discuss. 

I think it is important for entities to develop a unified position on this feature and whether it should be on automatically when a screen-reader is detected.  In general, as things are, those who are complaining are just complaining about removing the wwindow.  But that doesn't address the underlying problem, making the information available and not intruding on screen-reader use.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:23 AM

Hi Group,

Gene

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

-- 

Roger Stewart

I only get that invisible dropbox window once per boot up. Only just after startup. I can just hit any key to stop the speech and my focus is still where I left it. It's just like the phantom message about Microsoft One Drive I get on my laptop. I still haven't found a way to keep this from running though as I don't use it.
Roger

On 3/12/2019 11:06 PM, Annette Moore wrote:

I'd like it to be running so I'd receive notifications of things being shared in various folders, but I could live without that if I knew this was a temporary thing until a fix was implemented. I probably don't get as many of these popup phantom windows as some do, though. I may get them once an hour or so, and other than placing me out of focus for a few seconds, forcing me to have to alt tab back to the program I was using, they aren't too disruptive so I may not do anything unless or until they increase. At this point they're just a small nuisance.

Annette

On 3/12/2019 9:57 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

Jaffar Sidek

It is true that notifications pop up when changes are made to shared files and folders.  I have shared folder accounts with at least three blind music making related communities, so files and folders get deleted or added quite frequently.  Cheerers.

On 3/13/2019 8:34 PM, Gene wrote:
I suspect that these windows come up when something changes, someone adds a file or removes it that you are sharing folders with.  It may come up when the program is first run, but one person reported that the window comes up about every half hour, another person reported about every hour.  I doubt there is any general rule about how often they come up. 

The following may have a useful suggestion but my understanding of just what is occurring may not be correct.  But whatever is done about this unreadable window problem, my suggestion about how such information is displayed may be useful. 

Probably what is needed is the ability to turn such notifications completely off or alter it in some sort of accessibility setting so the information can be checked periodically by the blind person to see announcements about what has changed without them being read automatically.  I expect this can be done.  The information could be displayed in the system tray so a blind person can go to it and read it without a help balloon or a toast announcement being generated.  Information can change constantly if desired in the system tray without a screen-reader reading it if it just changes.  This should be an accessibility setting that can be turned on in preferences.  Should it be on by default when a screen-reader is detected?  I'll leave that for others to discuss. 

I think it is important for entities to develop a unified position on this feature and whether it should be on automatically when a screen-reader is detected.  In general, as things are, those who are complaining are just complaining about removing the wwindow.  But that doesn't address the underlying problem, making the information available and not intruding on screen-reader use.

Gene

Hi Group,

Gene

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

-- 

Dan Beaver

But this doesn't work for my case.

I have DB on my laptop and then on my Iphone.  The only files I have are shared only between my 2 devices.  I seldom make any changes to any of those files so I shouldn't be getting these very annoying popups.

Dan Beaver

On 3/13/2019 10:30 AM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

It is true that notifications pop up when changes are made to shared files and folders.  I have shared folder accounts with at least three blind music making related communities, so files and folders get deleted or added quite frequently.  Cheerers.

On 3/13/2019 8:34 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Hi Group,

Gene

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

-- 

-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

I don't use DropBox, but what's being described sounds a lot like what I've taken to calling screen veil popups, where these things are not opaque like a screen curtain, but translucent, allowing a sighted person to see what lies beneath on the screen other than where the actual dialog box is showing, but prevents any interaction with the underlying screen until dismissed.   And while they don't pose nearly the challenge if you can see, they're still mightily annoying.

Often, but not always, hitting Escape will dismiss these blasted things.  If anyone wants to try that (or has) and report back that would be a useful data point.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

They have nor forwarded my request to someone special as they put it. They said it is a "special case" what ever that is to mean in the end. We'll see what happens. And no it just happens at random when nothingn is beeing updated.

On 12 Mar 2019, at 18:17, Curtis Delzer wrote:

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

Sarah k Alawami

Mine appears sometimes every 15 to 20 minutes, sometimes every hour, sometimes never throughout the day. I could be in my flight sim and get the pop ups. And that's when the trouble starts especially if I'm trying to land. I'm glad they are finally looking into this.

On 12 Mar 2019, at 21:58, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

Gene

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

-- 

Gene

I wonder if this happens on other versions of Windows than Windows 10.  I use Windows 7.  I don't have Drop Box start on boot up, but when I run Drop Box, I don't have this problem and if I let it run for considerable periods of time, I don't have the problem.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 10:19 AM

Mine appears sometimes every 15 to 20 minutes, sometimes every hour, sometimes never throughout the day. I could be in my flight sim and get the pop ups. And that's when the trouble starts especially if I'm trying to land. I'm glad they are finally looking into this.

Hi Group,

Gene

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

George

Dave

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

-- 

Sile

Yes, it is happening to me on Windows 7.  It is extremely frustrating because I can't dismiss these dialog boxes and they pop up while I am teaching and using ppt ...

Please, someone, tell me how to make them stop.  I can't uninstall dropbox as I use it all the time for manageing uploads and downloads from our CMS,

--Sile

On 3/13/2019 11:54 AM, Gene wrote:
I wonder if this happens on other versions of Windows than Windows 10. I use Windows 7. I don't have Drop Box start on boot up, but when I run Drop Box, I don't have this problem and if I let it run for considerable periods of time, I don't have the problem.

Gene
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 10:19 AM

Hi Group,

While this Drop Box issue is an annoyance, it goes away within a few minutes after system boot on my computer. Are others having the phantom windows stay visible indefinitely?

I'm sure if the program weren't running, you wouldn't get such notifications. But some people want the program to be constantly running and for those people this would be a problem. And even if you have the program run at boot up, you can close it in the system tray.

Gene

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, this is not a notification. It looks exactly like the screen that comes up when I click the dropbox button in the system tray/user notifications area of windows 10.

George

Good Morning: I read this information a little late. However, I check notifications, which are in settings and the notification for Drop Box is uncheck.

Dave

Has anyone looked through options in Dropbox to see if anything is available about not showing notifications or messages? These are, presumably, shown in the system tray. I almost never use DropBox, though I have it, and I usually don't have it running. I don't know if I have the latest version. But the first thing I would do is look through the options to see if anything is available. I may check later today but it might be better if someone checks who uses it regularly, and knows they have the problem version. Presumably, I either do or it would update if I leave it on.

Gene

problem
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Is there any reason to have it running constantly? You can exit it and only

Gene

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92. Approximately every half an hour or so,
contain a single, blank edit field. The window doesn't seem to stay on
disappears. In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0

is irritating. Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes

Is it possible for someone to take a screen shot when this is occurring and e-mail it to me (as they can't be attached here)?

Under Win10 you should be able to hit WinKey+PrtSc and have a PNG file automatically created in your Pictures library in a folder named ScreenShots.  Under Windows 7 I would think just PrtSc should work to capture the screen, but you'd then have to paste it into Paint or similar to save it.

There may be something in what's presented that might allow me to propose a workaround.  I'm just not willing to go so far as to install and start playing with DropBox on my own machine.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back