Topics

Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

I found that, when I am in a program where pressing the alt key focuses menus or a ribbon, I can dismiss that dropbox pop up by pressing the alt key twice; once to focus the menus/ribbon and again to refocus the program window.

I find this work around to be less disruptive than alt tabbing away and back.

George

On 3/13/2019 2:39 PM, Brice Mijares wrote:
For me, it didn't matter if all program notifications were turned off. I had to go into drop box preferences and disable drop box from starting at boot up. I could be in Thunderbird reading a message and Dropbox would interfere, I'd have to hit escape to get out of the message and hit enter to finish reading the message.
If I hit the windows key and type Dropbox and hit enter so I could work with drop box, I'd be bothered later by drop box again.
Lenovo
Windows version: Windows 10Ver1809 (64-bit) build 17763.348

Escape does not close the pop up on various systems running windows 10 pro and home.

George

On 3/13/2019 9:48 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I don't use DropBox, but what's being described sounds a lot like what I've taken to calling screen veil popups, where these things are not opaque like a screen curtain, but translucent, allowing a sighted person to see what lies beneath on the screen other than where the actual dialog box is showing, but prevents any interaction with the underlying screen until dismissed.   And while they don't pose nearly the challenge if you can see, they're still mightily annoying.

Often, but not always, hitting Escape will dismiss these blasted things.  If anyone wants to try that (or has) and report back that would be a useful data point.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

I went to the notifications section of Windows 10 and unchecked dropbox. I’ll let you know if this makes a difference.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

I would just like to confirm, based upon the screenshot I have received thus far, that the characterization of the DropBox pop-up as invisible appears to be entirely accurate.

I can literally see nothing on top of the underlying screen and the only thing DropBox related is its process icon in the system tray.  That would not typically cause what's been described.

If others wish to send me more samples, I'll keep analyzing same to see if anything, no pun intended, pops up.
--

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

That didn't help on my systems and doing that removes all notifications about changes made to any shared folders you may have.

George

On 3/13/2019 2:13 PM, Richard Bartholomew wrote:
Try unchecking all notifications in the Dropbox preferences - this is how I have things and I've never seen this window - mind you, this is under Windows 10 and not 7!

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sile via Groups.Io
Sent: 13 March 2019 16:05

Yes, it is happening to me on Windows 7. It is extremely frustrating because I can't dismiss these dialog boxes and they pop up while I am teaching and using ppt ...

Please, someone, tell me how to make them stop. I can't uninstall dropbox as I use it all the time for manageing uploads and downloads from our CMS,

--Sile

On 3/13/2019 11:54 AM, Gene wrote:
I wonder if this happens on other versions of Windows than Windows 10. I use Windows 7. I don't have Drop Box start on boot up, but when I run Drop Box, I don't have this problem and if I let it run for considerable periods of time, I don't have the problem.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 10:19 AM

Mine appears sometimes every 15 to 20 minutes, sometimes every hour, sometimes never throughout the day. I could be in my flight sim and get the pop ups. And that's when the trouble starts especially if I'm trying to land. I'm glad they are finally looking into this.

On 12 Mar 2019, at 21:58, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

While this Drop Box issue is an annoyance, it goes away within a few minutes after system boot on my computer. Are others having the phantom windows stay visible indefinitely?

On 3/12/2019 10:57 PM, Gene wrote:

I'm sure if the program weren't running, you wouldn't get such notifications. But some people want the program to be constantly running and for those people this would be a problem. And even if you have the program run at boot up, you can close it in the system tray.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:51 PM

Would simply disabling it from Startup stop these invisible Dropbox windows from popping up?, or would the notifications also need to be turned off?

Annette

On 3/12/2019 8:17 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:

it certainly is, and until you turn off drop box, though you might like to know if a friend or colleague sends you stuff or gets stuff, you have to put up with this s**t.

On 3/11/2019 12:52 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

Its annoying as hell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Sam Bushman <libertyroundtable@...>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 3:50:32 PM

That is correct – it’s not a notification. It is a box that comes up over and over though.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of George McCoy
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 1:36 PM

For me, this is not a notification. It looks exactly like the screen that comes up when I click the dropbox button in the system tray/user notifications area of windows 10.

George

On 3/11/2019 11:11 AM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Good Morning: I read this information a little late. However, I check notifications, which are in settings and the notification for Drop Box is uncheck.

Dave

On 2/25/2019 5:10 AM, Gene wrote:

Has anyone looked through options in Dropbox to see if anything is available about not showing notifications or messages? These are, presumably, shown in the system tray. I almost never use DropBox, though I have it, and I usually don't have it running. I don't know if I have the latest version. But the first thing I would do is look through the options to see if anything is available. I may check later today but it might be better if someone checks who uses it regularly, and knows they have the problem version. Presumably, I either do or it would update if I leave it on.

Gene

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 3:18 AM

The whole thrust of it for us is that you can hear when new updates come in.
To try to schedule everything at the studio will cause our non tech folk a
problem
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 3:45 PM

Is there any reason to have it running constantly? You can exit it and only
run it when you want to use it.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 9:32 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92. Approximately every half an hour or so,
NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to
contain a single, blank edit field. The window doesn't seem to stay on
the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it
disappears. In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0
pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day
is irritating. Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes
https://twitter.com/JamesScholes

Richard Bartholomew

Sorry to hear it didn't help...that's the behaviour I want, though, ie I don't want to hear notifications of when people update or add files as I find it very intrusive.

Sent: 14 March 2019 19:34

That didn't help on my systems and doing that removes all notifications about changes made to any shared folders you may have.

George

On 3/13/2019 2:13 PM, Richard Bartholomew wrote:
Try unchecking all notifications in the Dropbox preferences - this is how I have things and I've never seen this window - mind you, this is under Windows 10 and not 7!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sile via Groups.Io
Sent: 13 March 2019 16:05

Yes, it is happening to me on Windows 7. It is extremely frustrating because I can't dismiss these dialog boxes and they pop up while I am teaching and using ppt ...

Please, someone, tell me how to make them stop. I can't uninstall dropbox as I use it all the time for manageing uploads and downloads from our CMS,

--Sile

On 3/13/2019 11:54 AM, Gene wrote:
I wonder if this happens on other versions of Windows than Windows 10. I use Windows 7. I don't have Drop Box start on boot up, but when I run Drop Box, I don't have this problem and if I let it run for considerable periods of time, I don't have the problem.

Gene
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 10:19 AM

Mine appears sometimes every 15 to 20 minutes, sometimes every hour, sometimes never throughout the day. I could be in my flight sim and get the pop ups. And that's when the trouble starts especially if I'm trying to land. I'm glad they are finally looking into this.

On 12 Mar 2019, at 21:58, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

While this Drop Box issue is an annoyance, it goes away within a few minutes after system boot on my computer. Are others having the phantom windows stay visible indefinitely?

I'm sure if the program weren't running, you wouldn't get such notifications. But some people want the program to be constantly running and for those people this would be a problem. And even if you have the program run at boot up, you can close it in the system tray.

Gene

Would simply disabling it from Startup stop these invisible Dropbox windows from popping up?, or would the notifications also need to be turned off?

Annette

it certainly is, and until you turn off drop box, though you might like to know if a friend or colleague sends you stuff or gets stuff, you have to put up with this s**t.

Its annoying as hell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Sam Bushman <libertyroundtable@...>

That is correct – it’s not a notification. It is a box that comes up over and over though.

For me, this is not a notification. It looks exactly like the screen that comes up when I click the dropbox button in the system tray/user notifications area of windows 10.

George

Good Morning: I read this information a little late. However, I check notifications, which are in settings and the notification for Drop Box is uncheck.

Dave

Has anyone looked through options in Dropbox to see if anything is available about not showing notifications or messages? These are, presumably, shown in the system tray. I almost never use DropBox, though I have it, and I usually don't have it running. I don't know if I have the latest version. But the first thing I would do is look through the options to see if anything is available. I may check later today but it might be better if someone checks who uses it regularly, and knows they have the problem version. Presumably, I either do or it would update if I leave it on.

Gene

problem
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Is there any reason to have it running constantly? You can exit it and only

Gene

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92. Approximately every half an hour or so,
contain a single, blank edit field. The window doesn't seem to stay on
disappears. In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0

is irritating. Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes

Gene,

On my systems, the pop up is not tied to any detectable change to any of my dropbox folders.  The pop up is the same screen I get when I run the dropbox client except that it is not visible to the sighted user.

George

On 3/13/2019 7:34 AM, Gene wrote:
I suspect that these windows come up when something changes, someone adds a file or removes it that you are sharing folders with.  It may come up when the program is first run, but one person reported that the window comes up about every half hour, another person reported about every hour.  I doubt there is any general rule about how often they come up. 

The following may have a useful suggestion but my understanding of just what is occurring may not be correct.  But whatever is done about this unreadable window problem, my suggestion about how such information is displayed may be useful. 

Probably what is needed is the ability to turn such notifications completely off or alter it in some sort of accessibility setting so the information can be checked periodically by the blind person to see announcements about what has changed without them being read automatically.  I expect this can be done.  The information could be displayed in the system tray so a blind person can go to it and read it without a help balloon or a toast announcement being generated.  Information can change constantly if desired in the system tray without a screen-reader reading it if it just changes.  This should be an accessibility setting that can be turned on in preferences.  Should it be on by default when a screen-reader is detected?  I'll leave that for others to discuss. 

I think it is important for entities to develop a unified position on this feature and whether it should be on automatically when a screen-reader is detected.  In general, as things are, those who are complaining are just complaining about removing the wwindow.  But that doesn't address the underlying problem, making the information available and not intruding on screen-reader use.

Gene
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:23 AM

H I didn’t know that. Well that’s good to know.

Sent: March 12, 2019 9:58 PM

Hi Group,

While this Drop Box issue is an annoyance, it goes away within a few minutes after system boot on my computer.  Are others having the phantom windows stay visible indefinitely?

I'm sure if the program weren't running, you wouldn't get such notifications.  But some people want the program to be constantly running and for those people this would be a problem.  And even if you have the program run at boot up, you can close it in the system tray.

Gene

Annette

Its annoying as hell.

For me, this is not a notification.  It looks exactly like the screen that comes up when I click the dropbox button in the system tray/user notifications area of windows 10.

George

Good Morning:  I read this information a little late.  However, I check notifications, which are in settings and the notification for Drop Box is uncheck.

Dave

Has anyone looked through options in Dropbox to see if anything is available about not showing notifications or messages?  These are, presumably, shown in the system tray.  I almost never use DropBox, though I have it, and I usually don't have it running.  I don't know if I have the latest version.  But the first thing I would do is look through the options to see if anything is available.  I may check later today but it might be better if someone checks who uses it regularly, and knows they have the problem version.  Presumably, I either do or it would update if I leave it on.

Gene

problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Is there any reason to have it running constantly?  You can exit it and only

Gene

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92.  Approximately every half an hour or so,
contain a single, blank edit field.  The window doesn't seem to stay on
disappears.  In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0

is irritating.  Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Sile

Ditto, I asked a sighted person for help and they couldn't see anything!

I also noticed that you can be typing in word or an email client and if this pop-up appears, it grabs focus and you are typing into mid-air!

--Sile

On 3/15/2019 3:23 PM, George McCoy wrote:
Gene,

On my systems, the pop up is not tied to any detectable change to any of my dropbox folders.  The pop up is the same screen I get when I run the dropbox client except that it is not visible to the sighted user.

George

On 3/13/2019 7:34 AM, Gene wrote:
I suspect that these windows come up when something changes, someone adds a file or removes it that you are sharing folders with.  It may come up when the program is first run, but one person reported that the window comes up about every half hour, another person reported about every hour.  I doubt there is any general rule about how often they come up.
The following may have a useful suggestion but my understanding of just what is occurring may not be correct.  But whatever is done about this unreadable window problem, my suggestion about how such information is displayed may be useful.
Probably what is needed is the ability to turn such notifications completely off or alter it in some sort of accessibility setting so the information can be checked periodically by the blind person to see announcements about what has changed without them being read automatically.  I expect this can be done.  The information could be displayed in the system tray so a blind person can go to it and read it without a help balloon or a toast announcement being generated. Information can change constantly if desired in the system tray without a screen-reader reading it if it just changes.  This should be an accessibility setting that can be turned on in preferences.  Should it be on by default when a screen-reader is detected?  I'll leave that for others to discuss.
I think it is important for entities to develop a unified position on this feature and whether it should be on automatically when a screen-reader is detected.  In general, as things are, those who are complaining are just complaining about removing the wwindow. But that doesn't address the underlying problem, making the information available and not intruding on screen-reader use.
Gene
*Sent:* Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:23 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

H I didn’t know that. Well that’s good to know.

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

*Sent: *March 12, 2019 9:58 PM
*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject: *Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

Hi Group,

While this Drop Box issue is an annoyance, it goes away within a few minutes after system boot on my computer.  Are others having the phantom windows stay visible indefinitely?

I'm sure if the program weren't running, you wouldn't get such
    notifications.  But some people want the program to be constantly
    running and for those people this would be a problem.  And even if
    you have the program run at boot up, you can close it in the
    system tray.

Gene

*Sent:* Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:51 PM

Would simply disabling it from Startup stop these invisible
    Dropbox windows from popping up?, or would the notifications also
    need to be turned off?

Annette

it certainly is, and until you turn off drop box, though you
        might like to know if a friend or colleague sends you stuff or
        gets stuff, you have to put up with this s**t.

Its annoying as hell.

Sent from
            Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
            Windows 10

<nvda@nvda.groups.io> <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> on
            behalf of Sam Bushman <libertyroundtable@...>
            <mailto:libertyroundtable@...>
            *Sent:* Monday, March 11, 2019 3:50:32 PM

That is correct – it’s not a notification. It is a box
            that comes up over and over though.

<nvda@nvda.groups.io> <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On
            Behalf Of *George McCoy
            *Sent:* Monday, March 11, 2019 1:36 PM

For me, this is not a notification.  It looks exactly like
            the screen that comes up when I click the dropbox button
            in the system tray/user notifications area of windows 10.

George

Good Morning:  I read this information a little late.
                However, I check notifications, which are in settings
                and the notification for Drop Box is uncheck.

Dave

Has anyone looked through options in Dropbox to
                    see if anything is available about not showing
                    notifications or messages?  These are, presumably,
                    shown in the system tray.  I almost never use
                    DropBox, though I have it, and I usually don't
                    have it running.  I don't know if I have the
                    latest version.  But the first thing I would do is
                    look through the options to see if anything is
                    available.  I may check later today but it might
                    be better if someone checks who uses it regularly,
                    and knows they have the problem version.
                    Presumably, I either do or it would update if I
                    leave it on.

Gene

<mailto:bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>

*Sent:* Monday, February 25, 2019 3:18 AM

*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
                    <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

The whole thrust of it for us is that you can hear
                    when new updates come in.
                    To try to schedule everything at the studio will
                    cause our non tech folk a
                    problem
                     Brian

bglists@...
                    <mailto:bglists@...>
                    Sent via blueyonder.
                    briang1@...
                    <mailto:briang1@...>, putting 'Brian
                    Gaff'
                    <mailto:gsasner@...>>
                    To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>>

Is there any reason to have it running
                    constantly?  You can exit it and only

Gene

To: nvda@groups.io <mailto:nvda@groups.io>

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92.  Approximately every
                    half an hour or so,
                    NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window
                    which only seems to
                    contain a single, blank edit field.  The window
                    doesn't seem to stay on
                    the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it
                    was previously after it
                    disappears.  In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up
                    a rectangle of 0
                    pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up
                    visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes
                    several times per day
                    is irritating.  Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes

--
        Curtis Delzer

HS

W B 6 H E F

Rialto, CA

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Update to support what many have said:   None of the screen shots that have been sent to me, taken when this issue is occurring, show any visible DropBox pop-up/dialog activity whatsoever.   The DropBox background process is active, but there is absolutely nothing on the screen, and nothing in the taskbar other than the DropBox process in the system tray, related to DropBox.

--