Topics

irrelevant information

Marisane Moruthanyana

Hi gurus

This is Wally from SA.

I am often confused by people still referring others to what is no longer there.

When one asks for assistance, one expects you, gurus to assist in
terms of what we now have.

I would like to request the administrators of these lists to mute
those people who continuously mislead us.

We do not have Window Eyes any longer so, according to me assisting
someone using the mentality of ignoring change, does not help the
blind community.

Census, why is this topic allowed here? Is it about technology?

Let these lists be used in context.

I am not angry, but concerned.

We ask what is relevant in these mailing lists and we are
unfortunately not responded to due to unnecessary conversations that
take place on the lists.

Let us respect the lists for purposes of learning and self-enhancement.

The lists are meant for us to learn and effectively use technology and
not for anything else.

Thanking you in advance for your understanding.

Wally Marisane: SA

Ron Canazzi

Hello Wally,

With all due respect, many people still use Window-Eyes.  Some people with limited needs do not need any further advancements. Furthermore, this attitude of yours would also eliminate the discussion of such programs widely used by the blind because  of their accessibility such as Windows Live Mail and Udora mail.  These programs are also not being developed any more but they are quite serviceable for the needs of many people.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

While Window-Eyes, like JAWS, or VoiceOver, or TalkBack, or other screen readers occasionally get passing mention here during discussions, generally as a "compare and contrast" for a wanted but missing feature, they are not allowed as primary topics.

It would be foolish to even try to enforce some strict decree that any other screen reader, whether currently supported or obsolete, absolutely cannot be mentioned.

This complaint seems to me to be a solution in search of a non-existent problem.  The readership of this group, and other blind technology groups, is acutely aware that Window-Eyes is not a currently supported product, but that there are also some who have it that continue to use it and that the odd, occasional question will arise.  Asking questions about how to use Window-Eyes in the NVDA Group is off-topic, but mentioning a feature it had that NVDA does not, for example, and asking whether said feature might be in the pipeline is perfectly allowable.

       ~ Madonna

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 06:04 AM, Marisane Moruthanyana wrote:
We ask what is relevant in these mailing lists and we are
unfortunately not responded to due to unnecessary conversations that
take place on the lists.
This deserves a separate response of its own.   On any group, and particularly those that are high traffic groups, there will always be tons of topics that do not hold even the slightest interest to a given reader even if they are entirely on-topic for the list.  This is precisely the reason I wrote the tutorial (take your pick of download format):

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx)

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io  (PDF)

Anyone who wishes to remain engaged in a group, but also wants to limit their traffic, should follow the steps I describe for setting up topic preview.  That way, unless you follow a topic based upon the first message, you will not receive any additional messages from that topic.

       ~ Madonna

Peter Beasley

I totally agree.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10