Is any one had the following browser problem with nvda?

Chris Smart

Hmm, that launched Windows Power Shell with Admin rights.

On 2021-04-24 10:03 a.m., Greg Epley wrote:
Far less keystrokes and not having to remember whether one needs Ctrl and/or Shift with Enter is WindowsKey+X to pop open the Start menu, followed by "A" as in "Admin", then Alt+Y to respond Yes to the UAC prompt. The resulting window title says "Administrator:" to indicate you're in an elevated command window. This will work unless one has perhaps configured their Start menu to show more items than I prefer; I deliberately keep mine as bare bones as possible since I prefer other shortcut methods to launch items. I use the same Start menu shortcut key and single letters to perform restarts, shutdowns or other common operations with less keystrokes. The specific letters one needs should be spoken by most screen readers unless the screen reader has been set not to report such aids, which would only be advisable for very advanced Windows users.

-Greg Epley

On 4/24/2021 12:58 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
Hmm, the prompt is not looking any different no matter what I add to Enter. what am I missing?

How can I tell I've launched the elevated prompt?

On 2021-04-23 7:58 p.m., Richard Wells wrote:
I Have to press SHIFT+CONTROL+ENTER to get the elevated prompt from the
run dialog.

On 4/23/2021 3:09 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Jackie, at least in 20H2, that no longer seems to work. I noticed it
in passing last week, and just checked again per your comment.

Jackie wrote:

Might I also say that if you invoke the run dialog (windows key + r)
then type cmd & press *control+enter* as opposed to just enter alone,
you'll also get an administrative (elevated) command prompt.

Greg Epley <greg.epley64@...>

Depends on your setting in Settings > Personalization > Task Bar > Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell in the menu when I right-click the start button or press Windows key+X.

That setting will be on by default for some users but off for others. I prefer it off myself, but that's me.
-Greg Epley

Jackie wrote:

Might I also say that if you invoke the run dialog (windows key + r)
then type cmd & press *control+enter* as opposed to just enter alone,
you'll also get an administrative (elevated) command prompt.

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 10:52 AM, Greg Epley wrote:
That setting [Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell] will be on by default for some users but off for others. I prefer it off myself, but that's me.
-
I want to say that the change occurred either at Version 1909 or 2004, but don't remember now.  It was a part of a feature update and everyone had PowerShell as the default immediately afterward.

I set that toggle off within days of whichever Feature Update is was that introduced it and defaulted the toggle to ON.

That's why I said Command Prompt or PowerShell in reference to what is in the menu brought up by WinKey+X.  I don't know who has this setting toggled in which direction, but an elevated Command Prompt or an elevated PowerShell will have Administrator as part of its window frame.

As Luke has noted, the actual command prompt you receive in the Command Prompt session will be your home directory for a regular session or C:\Windows\system32 for an elevated session.

In PowerShell, the actual command prompt is prefixed with PS before either your home directory in a regular session, or C:\Windows\system 32 in an elevated session.  I am using PowerShell 7, the latest version, when I use PowerShell at all.  I still favor Command Prompt just because it's familiar.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Hi,

PowerShell replacing Command Prompt: it’s been like this since 1703 days.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Since I have UAC turned off, it won't, but the path as many people have said
will give you a clue. Mine opens in c:\In fact because I'm logged in as an
admin mine will open up in c:\system32 anyway.