Topics

Is any release prior to the latest stable release, and the next RC release, officially supported? #NVDARelease

Gene

Also, I didn't test with another screen-reader to see if my system would freeze.  I doubt NVDA had anything to do with these freezes.  But I didn't test to find out.

From: Gene
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 9:48 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is any release prior to the latest stable release, and the next RC release, officially supported? #NVDARelease

I was curious and I tried it.  I don't know how this varies from version to version.  I assume I downloaded the latest version.  I used the program download page.  this version was quite inaccessible, at least out of the box.  No menus were opened with the alt key.  The screen could not be read, at least not by the old version of NVDA I tested it with.  Neither screen review keys nor flat review nor moving by object navigation nor NVDA key b read the screen.  I experimented and opened a file and caused it to play.  Guess what happened?  When I stopped play, my whole system froze.  I had to reboot.  I tried again and the same thing happened.  I tested with Windows XP service pack 3.  I don't know how the player runs on later versions of Windows but on my system, that is what happened.

Also, the program automatically associated itself with at least mp3 files.  I didn't test others.  It probably made itself the default player for everything it could play.  Either it didn't give me an option about this or the option wasn't read when it was presented.

You said that NVDA freezes.  Was it NVDA or your entire system.  Loss of speech in and of itself doesn't mean NVDA froze.  Did you have to reboot?

Of course, these are just my experiences and others may have different experiences.  But based on what you report and on my experiences with this one machine, I am skeptical that the program runs regularly in XP.

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 9:19 AM

gene,
did you try potplayer to see that do you observe my problem too?
i realy wish thats fixed.
also, i am waiting for the comment of quentin in this regard.
did you test it quentin to see the result?

On 12/5/16, Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
> VLC is accessible. It can do everything, and then some.

> On 12/5/2016 9:57 AM, Gene wrote:
>> I saw your description of your problem here just a bit ago.  As I
>> said, we don't know if this is an issue that is generally a problem or
>> just on your machine for some reason.  We may or may not get enough
>> reports from other users to determine that.
>> As far as your dissatisfaction with other players is concerned,
>> discussing what you particularly like about PotPlayer may be useful.
>> It may allow you to get information from others about other players
>> that do what you want, assuming such players are accessible.  Given
>> the wide variety of players, I wouldn't be surprised if there are.
>> Gene

Well, this thread has taken an interesting turn that I hadn't ever anticipated (and, to quote Seinfeld, "not that there's anything wrong with that.")

So I'll use this to get back on my soapbox about when anyone encounters an issue with any software or combination of software:

  • if you cannot give steps necessary to replicate the problem there's virtually no hope that the problem can or will be solved
  • if you can give steps necessary to replicate the problem, but others running the same operating system and similar overall configuration that you are don't have it when they perform those steps, this suggests an idiosyncratic problem with your own system

I cannot count the number of times when I've spent hours on a given problem only to find out that it was a weird interaction between two programs that are installed, that a system has not been updated and old DLL files are being called that have errors that have long ago been fixed, etc.

I'm not saying that anyone is directly "at fault" for anything, but these are factors that you must consider and there will be occasions when "it's just you" as well as many more when it's "not just you."  Having a detective's mindset is essential in instances such as this.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

gene.
thanks so much for helping me to test the program.
i dont have any screen reader except nvda to test.
me too, use windows xp service pack 3
you dont need to use nvda cursors to intract with potplayer menus.
you should only press the application keys and you can access to all
menus and options by normal arrow keys.
only nvda freezes and says nothing in the windows except unknown.
i should restart nvda to work as normal.

[...]

Hi,

About the program in question: can someone using Windows Vista or 7 try duplicating the issue at hand? Also, as Brian mentioned, it would be helpful if the issue reporter tell us if any accessibility options are checked and what not (if you told the player to use UIA and if you are using Windows XP, then please don’t do that, as UIA in XP is unreliable).

As for older Windows releases: Windows 9x isn’t supported because Visual Studio compiler will not generate code for it.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

David <trailerdavid@...>

Just for your correction.

You said you do NOT have any other screen reader to test? I do
understand what you mean, but it is not fully and completely true.

ALL, and I mean ALL flavors of Windows - from at least XP and up - holds
Microsoft's embedded screen reader, named NARRATOR. Though far from
being a full-fledged screen reader, it many times can help you out. For
instance, due to its very basic functionality, it at least could give
you some idea to what extend a piece of software is accessible at all.
If NARRATOR cannot help you out, then chances are that the software at
the minimum requires some more advanced features of the screen reader.

I do, and have don so in other settings, on a general basis encourage
all: If your high-end screen reader cannot do what you want, give
Narrator a go. Then com back and report your findings.

Might sound a bit awkward at first glance. But sometimes the high-end
screen readers might have settings, that complicates the usage of a
software. Running Narrator, finding that things work, you might be able
to start tracing why the high-end screen reader does not do what you expect.

Furthermore, most - if not all - of the high-end screen readers, do have
downloadable demo-versions. Might be an idea, to download and install at
least one such demo, and use it for cases when you want to determine if
NVDA is the bottleneck of your issue. Far as I know, they all provide
you fully working products, with an up-time of anything from 30 to 60
minutes; Enough time to get an idea of whether your third-party software
is workable or not.

In the older days, installing more than one screen reader, sometimes
caused system trouble. To the best of my knowledge, such is NOT the case
any longer, and have not been for a decade or so. In other words,
encouraged are everyone, to go get yourself at least one backup screen
reader, if nothing else go for a demo. It further might help the tech
team of NVDA getting to the core of your problem, if you can describe
what is taken place when running an alternative screen reader.

How do you know, if you prefer McDonald burgers, if you never tasted
anything but Burger-King?

David

On 12/5/2016 5:22 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
[...]

Also, what version of the player are you using?  My version had no menus and the screen was not readable.  If you are using an older version, accessibility may have changed.  If you are using a newer version, accessibility may have changed as well. I assumed I was using the latest version because I downloaded it from the site.  but your very different description of the program interface raises the question of which version you are using.  My version is 1.6.6385619.7.

Also, you said you tried various players and didn't like them.  if you explain why, you might find there are ways around what you didn't like or that you didn't know some commands that would make the programs much more friendly.  Even the positive review I read, which talked about many features of the program the reviewer liked, discussed features that would only be of interest to sighted users such as controling how subtitles are displayed and other visual features of the program.  The reviewer compared the program to VLC player, saying it did some things better but saying it was similar to VLC Player.  It is seldom the case that, in an area like this, with such a wide variety of programs that there is only one satisfactory program.

Also, there may be ways of getting more out of a program than you are aware of.  For example, there is an add on for Winamp available for use with NVDA which provides more functionality than is available without the program.

> gene.
> thanks so much for helping me to test the program.
> i dont have any screen reader except nvda to test.
> me too, use windows xp service pack 3
> you dont need to use nvda cursors to intract with potplayer menus.
> you should only press the application keys and you can access to all
> menus and options by normal arrow keys.
> only nvda freezes and says nothing in the windows except unknown.
> i should restart nvda to work as normal.
>
> On 12/5/16, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>> Well, this thread has taken an interesting turn that I hadn't ever
>> anticipated (and, to quote Seinfeld, "not that there's anything wrong with
>> that.")
>>
>> So I'll use this to get back on my soapbox about when anyone encounters an
>> issue with any software or combination of software:
>>
>> * if you cannot give steps necessary to replicate the problem there's
>> virtually no hope that the problem can or will be solved
>> * if you can give steps necessary to replicate the problem, but others
>> running the same operating system and similar overall configuration that you
>> are don't have it when they perform those steps, this suggests an
>> idiosyncratic problem with your own system
>>
>> I cannot count the number of times when I've spent hours on a given problem
>> only to find out that it was a weird interaction between two programs that
>> are installed, that a system has not been updated and old DLL files are
>> being called that have errors that have long ago been fixed, etc.
>>
>> I'm not saying that anyone is directly "at fault" for anything, but these
>> are factors that you must consider and there will be occasions when "it's
>> just you" as well as many more when it's "not just you."  Having a
>> detective's mindset is essential in instances such as this.
>> --
>> *Brian*
>>
>> *Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If
>> you’re alive, it isn’t.*
>>
>>     ~ Lauren Bacall

Gene

There is an interesting discussion about an earlier version of the player and NVDA as well as without NVDA here.

The player may have had and may still have one or more issues that should be addressed by the developers.

Whetehr one or more issues you discuss is an NVDA issue or whether the issues are entirely issues with the player, I don't know.  but the player had at least one serious issue in the past and we don't know if it has been addressed.

I would suggest that you tell the list what you are looking for in terms of abilities and functionality in a player and see what responses you get.