Topics

Is any release prior to the latest stable release, and thenext RC release, officially supported? #NVDARelease

David <trailerdavid@...>

Just to clear out any misunderstanding.

If you try to run Jaws and NVDA at the same time, I am ready to think
one of them will suffer. At least sometimes.

So, turn OFF NVDA, then load Jaws, and do your testing. When done, turn
OFF Jaws, and reload NVDA.

Two screen readers might well be installed at the same system
simultaneously. But they might cause trouble, if you try running them at
the same time. So make sure ONLY ONE screen reader is loaded at any
given time. This just to make sure no conflicts.

Please, will you not use the hotkey for Narrator. Like I said, go via
the Run dialog, and type in the word Narrator. Again as I said, I do
hold you need tab around the screen, first time you start Narrator, to
do some setup for it to work. Maybe the volume has been turned down, for
that screen reader.

OK, if you don't have Narrator, something is wrong with your computer.
But if you start it via the Run dialog like I described, you should at
least get an error message, telling you what is wrong. Do you get any
such error message? Again, do not use any hotkey to load Narrator, go
via the Run dialog, nothing else, no matter what... Smile.

David

On 12/6/2016 2:54 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
david,
i tested the demo version of jaws 11, 14 and 15 with nvda and the
result was crash and sometimes not responding nvda.
i took your advice and and recieve a message that i dont have narrator.
in the first time of installation of my windows, i tried openning
narrater via its shortcut and i did not have any voice.
i am sure that the narrator is not installed in my system.

On 12/6/16, David <trailerdavid@...> wrote:
What other screen reader have you tried to install and run, that caused
you trouble? Which version of that screen reader? When did you try it?

Give us some more facts, and maybe we can help you further, please.

David

On 12/6/2016 1:20 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
hi joseph.
yes, i use windows xp and i heard that .UIA is not supported on xp.
i did not change an important option for accessibility.

hi david.
my windows has problem and i dont know the reason.
but i should say that my windows has not narrator at all!
i tested this and and i am sure that i dont have narrator to test!
moreover, microsoft sam is not understandable for me and i cant
recognize what he says and what message does he read!
and also for me, i could not install another screen reader beside
nvda, because my system faces hangs, crashes and for me in my system,
screen readers are not compatible with each other.
you mentioned that having more than one screen reader does not cause
trouble, but for me it causes!

hi gene.
i tested many versions of potplayer and the result of testing all
versions, was crash of nvda since version 2015.4
so, its a regression in nvda 2015.4, because in 2015.3 i did not face
such problem.
yes. the current stable version of potplayer as you and quentin
mentioned, is 1.6.63856
but as i said i tried different versions and could not solve the issue
myself.
also, i did not change any settings in potplayer including: skins,
visual appearance, and its other settings.
vlc is not accessible for me, not has great quality and needs powerful
system.
i tried it and the result was only system resources consumption and
crashes of the program for me!
and the only satisfactory program for me is potplayer.
i found this in many month research, many program tested and going to
the many websites.
also, thanks so much for your link.
i joined this and repeated my problem.
the problem for me is only crashing of nvda, not potplayer!

hi quentin.
thanks extremely for your kindness.
i dont think that my problem is related to specific version of windows
and also specific version of potplayer.
i am sure there is one problem with nvda and potplayer which is
regression from nvda 2015.4 and later versions.

On 12/6/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
hi jacob.
thanks so much for helping me.

can you please test many files with potplayer?
eventually for me nvda is not responding and i dont know how to solve
this problem.

On 12/6/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
hi david and quentin.
i use xp and also i do all of my works with it.
i use internet, libreoffice, notepad, potplayer and one conversion
software.
i dont have the security programs because realy i dont trust them!

You're more of an expert on what works under XP than me Brian, that's
great
info!

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Brian's Mail list account <
bglists@...> wrote:

Well, as far as I am aware, the basic plan is to not break XP if it
is
at
all possible, but just occasionally this might not be possible as the
windows code changes.
Indeed at the moment xp portable versions of even the next snapshots
are
very good. Try running portable copies of nvda on, say windows 10 and
you
will find lots of things that no longer work due to the security of
that
operating system not allowing access to parts of windows from a
portable
app.
the big problem at present for those using XP is the web browser.
Depending on your processor, 50 is the last version I can get to work
on
xp
with intel processors, and 48 is the last one on xp with amd
processors.
This is due to the lack of sse2 instruction set support on the amd
chips.
Dropbox, no matter what Dropbox say, is working fine again on xp
intel
processors at version 15, though they do warn that this could change
as
its officially not supported. AMD chips last working version of
Dropbox
is
13, and one has to disable updates by nefarious means to keep it
working
on
such hardware.

The hack to continue to get xp updates is still working for MSSE, but
his
month no xp security updates came down. whether this means they have
blocked the loophole or just they have given up I cannot say.
I notice that Flash for IE8 is seemingly not being updated by Adobe,
but
seems to be working in Firefox 50 at the moment.
Adobe reader DC is not usable on XP and 11 is the last version.

I'm sure there are many other issues but that really depends on what
you
are doing.
Its gratifying to note that the hacked copy of Outlook express that
works
in 10 is still supported by nvda, and its only issue is that its
preview
pane has to be turned off or it will fall over sometimes.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-